“Stay was okay.”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #52 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed October 7, 2006

We spent 3 days here for fall break. I liked the room size and the balcony over the water. Staff was okay. We never did try the cafe. There was never anyone eating there so it made me a little leery about eating there. Prices were a little steep on menu that was placed in room. Carpets in hallways were dirty and smelled.
I liked the fact that the sink and coffee area were separate from the actual bathroom. Bathroom was very small. Tile floors needed bleaching. I liked to sit on the balcony and listen to the water flowing over the rocks in the stream, but the balcony was very small. We walked downtown from the hotel one night but the next 2 nights we took our car down and parked at the parking lot at bottom of hill. After walking downtown Gatlinburg for a couple of hours the walk back up to the hotel can be very tiring. Pillows in room were very flat. I am glad that we took our own from home.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank happyinky.

Reviewed August 21, 2006

I had a few extra vacation days to use up before the end of the year, so my wife and I decided to go to Gatlinburg for a few days right before Christmas. For this trip we picked the Sidney James. I reserved one of their Jacuzzi King rooms using their website.

When we arrived, there were no problems checking in, and the man at the front desk was very hospitable and friendly. I hadn't had any prior experience with this motel, and at the time, wasn't even aware of this site, so I didn't have any pre-conceived ideas about the place. We were both more than pleased with our room. It had a nice view of the mountains and of the town below, and was just a few steps from the indoor pool, which was also very nice. Our room was very clean, with a large jacuzzi, gas fireplace, tv, and an L-shaped couch downstairs, with the king bed in a loft upstairs. There were 2 full bathrooms, one upstairs and one downstairs. We were there for 3 nights and housekeeping was never an issue; our room was well-cleaned each day. The jacuzzi was clean and worked fine, and the bed was very comfortable.

Gatlinburg motels generally are a little rough around the edges, and the Sidney James was no different, but all in all, I have NO complaints to speak of regarding this motel. Our experience with it was wonderful. We loved our room and the price was great for everything we got.

[--------------], if you are looking for sparkling, ultra-modern resort hotels with every amenity, then Gatlinburg is not the place for you. Go to Las Vegas and get a suite at the Venetian or Bellagio. Gatlinburg is a little tourist town in the middle of the mountains. It's full of 1950's, 60's, and 70's motels and motor lodges. And therein lies it's APPEAL, as far as I'm concerned. I love the coziness and nostalgia of it all.

I probably won't stay at the Sidney James again anytime soon, but it's not because of the experience I had with it. It's only because there are so many choices in and around Gatlinburg that we like to try a different one each time.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank Louder72
Conway, SC
Reviewed July 14, 2006

My family and I had reservations at the Sidney James Mountain Lodge for Thanksgiving weekend, 2005. We arrived late Thursday evening. Although the rooms are very dated and appeared to have had little or no upgrades since the 70's, we decided to stay. Upon waking Friday morning, we discovered that there was no hot water. We immediately reported the problem and was told that maintenance would be notified. Having no idea how long the repair would take, we decidedl not to wait and left for our scheduled day of site-seeing. We returned late Friday evening and went straight to bed. Upon waking Saturday morning, we discovered that there was still no hot water in our room. My husband reported the problem to the manager on duty and asked for a refund on our final evening's stay (Saturday evening). The manager was very rude and insisted that there were no problems with any of the other rooms; therefore, he would have to personally check the water in our room. We waited for over an hour for the manager to respond; however, he never came. (During that time, we spoke with several of our "neighbors" who had reported the same problem. It was definitely not a problem confined to our room.)We packed our things and left. We stayed at another motel for our final night's stay in Gatlinburg. We made several attempts to contact the motel to ask for a partial refund. We never received an acknowledgement or response to our many emails, written correspondences, etc. Eventually, we reported their lack of action to the Knoxville Better Business Bureau. The BBB also made several attempts to contact the motel, but they had the same results--no response. The BBB has noted that the Sidney James Mountain Lodge failed to respond to complaints filed against the motel.

This is definitely not a motel that you should consider when making your Gatlinburg travel arrangements! Not only are the accommodations undesirable, but customer service is of no importance or priority to the management. I only wish that I would have consulted this website before making my reservations at the Sidney James.

Pam Rabon
Conway, SC

• Stayed: November 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
afton, tn.
Reviewed June 27, 2006

we have been saying here at syndey james for years, my daughter loves the indoor pool( swimming thruogh the cave is relly fun for her). the staff has alwaye been nice and more than willing to go out of there way to make our stay a great one! we will be back again real soon! we stay there 2 or 3 times a year and really enjoy it every time. thanks guys, don

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 19, 2006

My friend and I took a quick little trip just to get away. We decided to stay here. (We usaully stay at Rodeway Skyland) It was overall a nice hotel. The staff were friendly and polite. The housekeeping staff are right on the ball. We had a creek side room and loved it. The A/C was in good working order and that was a plus since it was around 90 degrees plus outside. The indoor pool was neat, you could swim through a manmade cave. The water was warm like bath-water. (another plus) I slept like a rock so the bed must've been comfortable. (I slept for 7 hrs straight without waking up) The only bad things about this hotel is no continental breakfast and they need more parking.

7  Thank debbie_smith22
Louisville,KY
Reviewed June 7, 2006

My wife & I stayed at the Sidney James Mountain Lodge while participating in a wholesale trade show in Gatlinburg, TN. The people were very friendly & catered to our every need. We travel all over the country with our business & really appreciate it when people try to make us feel at home. When we left I made a mistake and left a couple of bags behind. I called & talked to Sid Maples & he took care of it personally. He shipped the bags to me by UPS next day & not only that but paid for the shipping up front without asking me for a penny. Trust like that from a person you do not know says a lot for his character. You don't find many people or places like this anymore in the world today. I hope anyone who reads this will try to patronize this motel. There are a lot of fancy places out there owned by the big corporations but when you get the treatment we got at Sidney James Mountain Lodge you will appreciate the little guys again because of the personalized service & the true concern for the people that stay at their motel.

Kurt Floyd
Louisville,KY
502-969-3508
kwfloyd@safewaytanning.com

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
East TN
Reviewed June 2, 2006

We arrived Thursday and left on Saturday. We stay in Gatlinburg particularly for the creekside balconies, and we don't usually mind paying a bit more for this amenity.

I booked this one sight unseen, and I will try to be fair here. The Sydney James is your average 1960's built hotel. I don't think it's been updated much since then. Any visible updates were VERY low budget. For instance, where there had once been a connecting door, now there is a large piece of unfinished exposed drywall. Nice! Also in the bathroom, which I will get to later, the weird shaped 1960's toilet tank lid had broken, so it was replaced with a Home Depot regular square one that didn't even fit. Very attractive...

Okay, the room was clean. The housekeeping staff does a good job cleaning this outdated and run down property. I will say my room was very clean. There was one gooey mystery stain on the balcony table, but they probably just missed it.

The decor was 1970's old and tacky, but in decent shape. Carpet was ok, didn't look nasty. BEDS...These are hard, not so bad since I like a firm bed. Sheet were very clean, but they were rough like sleeping on paper. Pillows VERY thin, but we bring our own anyway.

AC was good and cold. Patio door recently replaced, this was the one good update. It even had a burglar bar. Nice table and 2 chairs on balcony, I liked that.

The creekside balcony was nice, but through NO FAULT of the Sydney James, it was glaringly lit up at night, because the hotel next door has a wing and a pool behind the creek. So you really had to pull your drapes at night unless you wanted the light shining in your room.
Bathroom was old and bad shape, but clean. Paint peeling walls, mismatched toilet tank lid, the ceiling had open holes in it where the ceiling tiles didn't fit properly. Basically the bathroom needs a complete refit.

I don't know what they wash the towels in, but they were so stiff and scratchy, I can't imagine anyone wanting to steal one...All rooms have refrigerators and coffee makers. Bonus points for that...

Didn't use the pool, but looked ok to me. Parking lot was sort of crowded but ok. People at desk were polite when we checked in.

There was NO INTERNET OUTLET in the room. This was the number one thing that would keep me from ever staying here again. I mean there was NO WAY to get on the internet. In other words, the 1970's style desk phone, was hardwired into a jagged hole in the wall. Seriously! So I couldn't even use dial up.... You had to go to the lobby to use the wireless connection. Like, spring a few hundred bucks for some routers, how hard is that?

number two dealbreaker....NO continental breakfast...How cheap can you be? We hardly ever wake up early enough to eat breakfast, but it's nice to go down and get some juice and coffee if we do. If the hotel down the street for half the price can offer breakfast, why can't Sydney James?

I will say we have stayed in at least 10 different motels in Gatlinburg. This wasn't the worst, but it was definitely in the bottom 3. And I'm being really fair here, cause I know this hotel is old. And for the price, I didn't expect a fancy room. But I do expect some kind of internet connection and free breakfast at any price.

Bottom Line, if you want fresh decor, internet and breakfast, go somewhere else. If you want a clean, timeworn 1970's creekside room at a cheap price, this may be your kinda place!

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member