“QUIET - heated indoor pool????”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #51 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Housekeeping staff was very friendly and informative. Front desk people this weekend needed a lesson in friendliness and information in their area. HEATED INDOOR POOL -- NOT!!!!!!! Pool outside was warmer than the pool inside. The chemicals are off in hot-tub or it isn't cleaned right. When turned on, you basically get a bubble bath.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Lfamily511
There are newer reviews for Sidney James Mountain Lodge

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Toads - Couples who are intertwined, embraced or other wise inappropriately too close to one another in the public pool in front of children and other guests. Please, have some dignity and respect for others, thank you.

Otherwise, we enjoy staying at the Sidney James.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dawn B
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Stayed here over the weekend. Nice hotel but is getting a little dated, could use an update.
Was clean and had a nice indoor and outdoor pool area.
Very nice cafe on site.
Our balcony overlooked the employee parking lot.

Room Tip: get a river view room. ours overlooked the employee parking lot
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Reserved and prepaid (Expedia) for a creek side room in March for our visit in May. Upon arrival was told we would be courtside (across street from creek) and there was nothing they could do. We went to our "room" to find it was located next to the dumpsters which were emptied every morning promptly at 6:45 a.m. The room had several areas of walls that had been patched and painted with other paint that did not match, water stains on the ceilings, cobwebs from ceilings, cable tv only had 5 working channels, killed 2 spiders, it took 24 hrs for the a/c to cool the room, the pool outside our room was partially cleaned. The desk clerks made no effort to make our stay better, instead when I walked through the lobby on Saturday morning they made sarcastic remarks about me for complaining. We had stayed there 2 years ago and loved the creek side rooms and people were so nice. Wanted to go back for our 42 anniversary only to be treated this way is not professional.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Tony Sheila C
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

We use to stay with Sidney James when we went in big groups and always loved it (they have cottages as well as the hotel). After Rocky Mountain inn closed me and my husband tried one of the interior rooms at Sydney James. I had cash on me at check in and the man told me he didn't know if he had any change, so I said well I can wait till tomorrow if you need, he was like no, I have to have your payment now. I was thinking, you say you accept cash, yet you don't have change, which isn't my fault, and want me to pay another way? I told him I wasn't withdrawing the money again from my account and he luckily found change. The other bad thing was that the room next to us had flooded, and they were using this giant heater to dry it out, which made our room unbearably hot! It was 50 degrees and we had the air on as high as if would go. Miserably! When I complained about it the man did offer me another room and said we could have both so we didn't have to move all our stuff...a nice gesture by still a hassle going back and forth when we were leaving the next morning, so we didn't. I know they couldn't help it cause it had to be dried, but they could have told us about it.Usually a great experience but this time was def a disappoint. The guy at check in was very nice though, just frustrating.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stephanielee1991
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stayed here dollywood opening weekend with our 3 children. Beds were awfully uncomfortable with horrible pillows. The room was clean. We had a great view of The Island. The light on the balcony that stays on all the time was very bright and shined through the curtains, which caused it hard for us to go to sleep. Wish breakfast was better with more variety, especially fruit. The price was good for a one night stay. Our key cards would not work on the door closest to our room so we had to use another door to get in. We were unable to try out the indoor pool, but it seemed adequate.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Justin M
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Great hotel. Room was perfect size for family of 3. Small balcony was a nice touch. Plenty of places to store luggage. The bathroom was small but worked out okay with the sink being in the room. Microwave in the lobby made dinner an adventure. We were able to eat our food in the cafe we just bought drinks. Nice park close by. Pool was always crowded. A lot of teens visiting and mostly a nice group. When it got noisy the night security guard was respectful to the teens yet quieted them down. Plenty of luggage racks. Parking was tight the spaces very close together. Location got you out of the area quickly using the back roads. It was about half mile from light 8. Most of the shopping and dining was near light 8. Used the free night deal and saved a lot.

Room Tip: Large field behind hotel for kids to run around.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family