“Would not book again!”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #54 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I booked this hotel online and thought it looked like a reasonable place to stay in Gatlinburg. When we checked in we were told we were "Courtside" which is across the street. This building is older. The room was dark and dingy. The furnishings looked liked they were 50 years old. The room did not have a good smell. Make sure to ask if you are being put in the Courtside building. If you are, run away. We checked out after one night and had scheduled to stay longer. I gave it a poor rating rather than terrible because at least the roof didn't leak.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank grlips76

Reviewed August 9, 2013

The last three trips my family and I have stayed at the Sidney James Lodge. It could use some updating, but it's decent and not bad for the price (we can get the AARP rate). Front desk was very friendly. We always stay in the back part of the lodge that has the creek that runs down the mountain along side of the balcony. We love to sleep with our balcony door open (it's safe) at night and listen to the water rush down over the large rocks. It's so relaxing and that's why we chose to stay at SJ because we want to enjoy the beauty and sounds of the mountains... There are no hotel/motel behind you but woods. We get a room that's higher up so we can also look out more at the view. It's within walking distance of the main street and close to the Space Needle and the Skylift. The aquarium would be much farther down the main street. A McDonalds is not to far down on the main street and within a reasonable walking distance. There is a log cabin pancake house about 2 blocks from the Sidney James where we usually eat our breakfast. It's nice with lots of choices. Nice pool for the kids and a hot tub and sauna for the adults.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KAF57
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had a great time in Gatlinburg. The location was great. We were there for biking in the mountains and we were just close enough to the end of town that there was little traffic, yet the trolley was right at our hotel. We have to give extra credit to Joe at the front desk for going out of his way to accommodate our needs. Thanks Joe, S.D.

Room Tip: Ask for a creekside, non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

the man at the front desk was super sweet to me and my children. we stayed in the creek side part of the hotel . so of course we had a balcony over the water it was a little small but still nice . the room was clean and had a fridge and micro. the room was pretty big to . its a little out dated style wise but still very nice but the one thing that will have me staying here again is the pool . i have small children and its really hard to find hotels that list weather or not that have a kiddi pool it drives me nuts but this place has one and a pretty water fall and a regular pool that goes into a cave next to a hot tub with pretty lights and an out door pool by the restaurant. by far the best pool for a cheaper budget. i cant wait to save up and return! so parents of the world your kids will love this pool area no matter the age. the location is decent so you can walk to all the fun things with out paying to park . no mountain view that i saw though

Room Tip: request rooms near the elevator its a bit of a walk to some of the rooms on the upper floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The best thing about the hotel is that is off the beaten path of the thousands of people walking the main street. The A/C works well too. Did see a wild turkey as I sat on my porch over-looking the creek. The pool was nice and cool but my wife thought it was cold. The drawbacks are the bathroom is the size of a closet; the shower could not be adjusted to warm; the hot water handle in the shower is so hot it is hard to turn-off; all of the lights and outlets did not work; the doors are hard to shut and have to be slammed to close them; the pillows were way too soft; the decor was mediocre at best; and the hot tub was all foam but hot. I will say that the staff was nice and when I called to get my son's personal pillow mailed back to me at my cost, they seemed very obliging. Hopefully it makes it here.

Room Tip: Creek side would be the only way to go but there are the same style hotels at a much better rate for...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Boy I have to say this was a shocker.....I made the reservations through Hotels.com for this facility and from looking at the website this was an excellent hotel for my family and friends to stay. When booking we chose to stay courtside.......now on the website (hotels.com and Sidney james website) that the courtside is actually a totally different building that sets across the street from the new hotel area. This means that your across the street from the lobby, pool, cafe and indoor pool area.

What it appears like is that the "courtside building" was the original Sidney James Mountain Lodge back in the 70's and 80's and a new building and hotel were built across the street. The new facilty was very nice, the rooms were extremely nice but the courtside building appears to not have been cleaned or any repairs or renovations made since they moved operations to across the street. It look as if it had not been cleaned since the 1980's. If you had a room capable of sleeping four people you would think that you would have four wash clothes and four towels to bath with.....no not here, you only get two and forget going to the front desk to get some, we were denied so we had to chase down the cleaning cart and basically take what we needed. If you stay more than one night, your room does not get made up unless you request it to be so this means no made up beds and no change of towels and wash clothes. Taking a shower is a whole nother ballgame......DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS SHOWER if you stay in courtside.....my daughter was showering and all of a sudden we hear a blood curdling scream come from the shower, she was pinned against the back wall of the shower screaming the water was to hot....i put my hand in the water and it blistered my hand, the water had also blistered the backs of her legs. I thought maybe she had hit the hot water by accident but when i went to turn it off it only took 3/4 of a turn to turn it off and the cold water was on as well so the water shouldnt have been this hot. Well when I got in to shower the same thing happened again, apparently when someone around you flushes the toilet, you loose ALL the cold water coming into your shower and all you get is scalding hot water so when you feel the hot water coming all u can do is jump out until what ever toilet was flushed fills and gives you the cold water back. You cant take a bath, the bottom of the bath tub looked as if you could grow plants in it it was so black and dirty. There were holes in the wall all over the room, the carpet was so matted down with dirt and was so old after you got done taking a shower you had to wear flip flops or shoes or else your feet would be black from dirt by the time you reached the bed from the shower.

I traveled with a large group to attend a function at the convention center. A family that was staying beside of us had a huge flea infestation in thier room and they all 4 got eat up by fleas. The pool that sets in the courtside building parking lot I guess from the old hotel days looked as if it had pond water in it, it was that dirty. The best thing for this courtside part of the hotel is to either have a MAJOR renovation done or just torn down completely. The newer rooms across the street were nice from the ones I saw and the indoor pool area was awesome for the kids to play but thats about it. The poolside cafe is way OVER PRICED and the breakfast buffet is a JOKE.

Best advice I can give is DO NOT book courtside rooms and eat elsewhere and not the hotel cafe!!

Room Tip: Do not book the "Courtside Rooms", this is the old section of the hotel that has not been...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Divemaster43
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The inside pool was great! but that's as far as I can say for my experience! The courtyard should say across from the main location and is the old part and looks like it needs more work! I saw the pictures and thought ok all together building just not river side no problem. Yeah courtside was across from the loc meaning u have to walk across to enjoy anything! The courtside needs a huge huge makeover as its outdated and dirty! The riverside was nicer looking and wished I could have switched or just payed a little extra after seeing the site of my room! Ran out of hot water! how in the world do you run out of hot water! The little eatery was just as said little. We went in to get the buffet and there was no sign so we waited in line to only find out you have to pay first which was no problem HOWEVER...no sign and no one at the register and a rude woman behind the line. The bathrooms were so little you hit your legs on the darn toilet and there was a roach in the floor! did they not clean it b4 we came in..of course they did we passed her going down the line! Sheets had someone elses hair! did you NOT get new sheets! if walmart was closer I would have gotten my own stuff just to know it was clean! NOT cool guys YOur pictures made you look better than u were! courtside is a joke!..by the way People in our group left this hotel for the motel 8 does that say anything

Room Tip: go river side at least they put time and effort for being newer!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business