“They don't care, because they know they'll get some schlepp to take a room!”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #52 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Mason, Ohio
“They don't care, because they know they'll get some schlepp to take a room!”
Reviewed March 13, 2008

I've stayed at this hotel twice. The first time, I was with a buddy and we were drunk the whole time (Spring Break), so it wasn't so bad. The only thing I remembered on my first stay was that I walked in with my friend behind me and saw only one bed. I quickly backed out of the room and got a new room with two beds. I like my friend, but not that much.

The pool was fun, because it has a fake tunnel/mountain motif. Big deal. I did notice it was possible to jump from the second balcony into the pool, I just never got the guts or drunk enough to do it.

I think because of the great weather and the good times I had, I decided to stay there again with my girlfriend...sober.

I didn't really have too much of a complaint about the room. I don't expect much from rooms, just a place to rest between activities. It was dingy. Our "stream" was a ditch, but I already knew this.

My brother and I went to the pool and had a decent time in the murky pool. That is until my brother pointed at my chest and said, "What is that!?!" Looking down, I saw what could have been a mop string or a tampon. I'll go with a mop string so I won't be traumatized. The water was so murky you couldn't see the bottom. I probably could've spotted the object if the water were clearer. So for all the people excited about the pool, don't be!

The management was my next complaint. I realize these guys are getting a plethora of different people and have built up a bad attitude. The only thing I want is a key and a place to voice my concerns if I have any. It was because of the Sidney James that I realized that most hotels in the "tourist trap" portion of Gatlinburg realize that even if you didn't like your stay, there will be another unsuspecting guest tomorrow. They got your money tonight.

My situation involved a group of twenty year olds outside the room with what I thought were paint guns. It turned out to be those yellow nurf pellet guns they sell in town at every other store, however I thought these guys were playing Commando with paint guns and shooting at the rooms. I called management and told them they might want to ask these people to stop shooting around the hotel.

The reply I received was, "Frankly sir, I don't care." This statement carried a sarcastic-laced tone that made me look like the bad guy for trying to save the walls and windows of the hotel.

That's the whole point. They don't care. They know people will still come.

• Liked — Being drunk and not caring
  • Disliked — Being sober and seeing what a dump this place was and how management didn't care.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
lenoir, nc
Reviewed March 11, 2008

We have been going to family reunions in Gatlinburg for around ten years now. We also have a the park next to Sidney James, so we would make reservations for the entire family at the former Ledwell Hotel (the courtyard motel across the road from Sidney James). For about eight years we tolerated the stay at Ledwell, because the management was so friendly and the convienvce to the park. However, the first year that Ledwell was taken over by Sidney James our stay was a nightmare. We have made reservations online a couple of months in advance. Check in time was at 2:00 p.m., we arrived around 3:30. We were not greeted upon arrival and were given a key to the small courtyard motel across the street. We drove to our room to find that the maids had not yet cleaned it. We drove back across the street to see if we could possibly have the exact same type room beside our room -seeing as it had been cleaned. They told us no, we would have to wait for our room to be cleaned. So, we drove back over and waited an additional 30 minutes - in a fairly good mood (we were ready to see our family). We finally got into our ordinary out-dated room, threw our things down and went to find everyone. As the night progressed I kept finding myself getting annoyed about the way the hotel handled our situation earlier in the day, but I decided to sleep on it. As we went to lay down, we turned our televison on the find that all of the stations were filled with static. Still I decided to just wait until morning. So next morning I decide to talk to hotel management, seeking only an apology for unpleasant experience from the day before and the television to be fixed. I go in the office on my own (I am a women, 23 years old and was currently six months pregnant). I ask for the manager, to find out it was the same person who had checked us in prior and told him of the situation (the room not being cleaned on time, the televison, etc.), keeping calm, as I know working in customer service this is the correct way to handle bad service. He told me that I had not right to say his people didn't do their job (which I did not say), and that I could not understand how hard his job was because I was too young. Being pregnant, of course I got emotional and started quietly crying, I asked a final time if we would be able to fix the television at least or apologize for his unprofessional attitude (my family was there and I really didn't want of leave). He told me no. I then asked for a refund of the next two nights stay, which he did approve, along the comment "Good luck on finding another place to stay." Regardless to say we found another place within a half an hour (the Greystone - their service was great and our room was even nicer for the same amount of money). I love Gatlinburg, but can honestly say the I hate Sidney James.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank youngmommy
Georgia
Reviewed February 24, 2008

We booked our room at Sidney James based on the pics from website. When we arrived, we checked in, paid and were off to our room. The smell when we walked in was very musty, the tub was brown/black in the bottom, the kleenex holder was completely rusted and only attached to the wall by the two bottom screws so was hanging open permanently, counters were badly stained, drains in sink and tub were badly rusted, floor tiles were broken, dresser had a broken drawer that hung open, carpet was stained and dirty, mattress was like sitting on box springs, covers of bed smelled musty, just plain unclean. Not at all what we expected. When we went down to talk with the clerk, we were offered another room. This one was "updated." We looked and it did appear cleaner; however, the wet, musty smell was overwhelming from the minute we opened the door. We were refunded one of our nights but not the other and were told we could speak with the manager the next day. He did not offer even an apology, instead began yelling, and telling us they could not put a pic of every room on the site. Very rude, antagonistic, used profanity, and we were told "Sue us, we have good lawyers." I understand that every room cannot be pictured, but I do expect a fair representation of what I am paying for. This one was way off. We wound up paying about the same per night to stay somewhere else that was infinitely cleaner and more pleasant, and as always, had a great time with our family in Gatlinburg!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Very dirty and misrepresented
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Mom1209
kentucky
Reviewed February 20, 2008

i have to dissagree on all the negative reviews , the staff was very friendly, our room was great we loved the view, our kids had a good time they hated to leave the pools &m sauna were awesome i have to admit some hotels have thier flaws but i would return with my family & recomend this place to anyone, the price was good the environment was clean and the staff was glad to help us out with anything

• Liked — swimming pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank charlezangel4life
Florence, Alabama
Reviewed February 17, 2008

I hate to be totally negative about this place, because there are some good points. First of all, the rates were that best that I could find for a hotel with an indoor pool within walking distance to the Convention Center. We stayed 2 nights and got an extra night free. Next, the indoor pool area looked pretty neat. It had that whole waterfall, grotto effect going on, with a kiddie pool and a hot tub. Finally, our room appeared to have been recently renovated. The carpet, wall covering, and bedspreads seemed to be in decent shape and the housekeeping staff did a good job each day. However, there were several problems. The guy at the front desk was nice, but overly so. He overstepped his purpose by asking personal questions and trying to be a comedian. Although the room appeared clean, for a no smoking room, it smelled nasty. We had to walk around a construction dumpster to get to the door of our ground level room. The room next door had been completely gutted. We also had a small balconey overlooking a mountain stream (that some may call a glorified drainage ditch), but the sliding glass door was off the track, making it very difficult to open and close. The view also included another hotel just across the stream. The two double beds were hard and uncomfortable and the bathroom was very small. With room for only one person at a time in front of the bathroom mirror, we had to get ready in shifts. There were other mirrors, but the lighting was not good enough for putting on makeup. Overall, this hotel is satisfactory if you need a cheap place to stay and don't plan on spending a lot of time in your room. The indoor pool is a good feature for the cold winter months.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Smell
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank desdemama
Bristol, TN 37620
Reviewed January 15, 2008

WHen I checked in I thougt this has to be nice because of the size of the place but, I was fooled the first room(162) I got was court side looked like a very bad Motel room from a horror movie!
I called to the front desk & told them there was no way I could keep my child in this place & they immediately moved me to Creekside room(212) it was better but the place just seemed dirty. I will never stay here again! I will definately not reccommed this place to anyone. We were in town 1-11-08 through 1-13-08 for a church convention And I must say the stay in this place was the worst part of my trip. We could not even shower because the bathrooms looked so unsanitary!! Had to go to a friends hotel to shower. I can't believe that there aren't some kind of health inspecters for these places. We have stayed in Gatlinburg several times & this was the WORST!

The pool was pretty but had some areas of mold on the ceiling.
I think this place is in serious need of a makeover!

Stayed January 2008
3 Thank carilee2001
NC
Reviewed January 8, 2008

My then boyfriend (my fiance now) booked one night Dec 2007 to stay during the Chrismas parade. We expected a half way decent place considering the money we spent. First off, when we went into the lobby to check in the front desk people were not friendly , they didnt even greet us, they didnt even look up they just kept on doing thier own thing while we stood there. We paid for our room and was handed the oldest looking room key I have ever seen, actually I have never seen one this old! We could barely get into the room (had to slam into the door to get it to open) the room was a non smoking creekside, however it was musty, dim lights, torn furniture, a bathroom you could barely turn around in, the bed was terribly hard and flat, outdated beadspread, when you shut the front door you could see through the door to the outside on one side, the fireplace looked like something from the jetsons (a big red disk shaped type thing, no instructions or warnings on how to use the thing, the back door that openend to a balcony over looking the creek , was old and outdated and you could see throught that door too (where the door is normally supose to seal when you shut it, I guess it was so old and settled it didnt seal). I was just not impressed with the hotel at all and I would recommed something a little closer to main street, we nearly froze to death walking back after the parade even though when I called they described the hotel not being that far away, maybe a 5 min walk, it was more like a 20 min walk!

• Liked — That we at least had a place to stay to see the parade.
  • Disliked — The hard as a rock bed, flat pillows and old bedspread.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple