“would not stay there if it was free!”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #51 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband myself and our son stayed for a weekened in august for our sons birthday. It was awful dirty carpet was sticky wore shoes the whole time . Bathroom was in such bad shape rust was in the ceiling ants on counters wore flip flops in shower everything was falling apart. Very out dated the pool area would have been nice but people where drinking in the hot tub letting there kids jump from there into the pool. Would never stay there again even if it was free! Spend the extra 20.00 dollars and stay on the strip of gatlinburg.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
SidneyJamesMtnLodge, General Manager at Sidney James Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear IrishJackieR
I am sorry to hear that our accommodations did not meet your expectation. Unfortunately for us, your review and the way Tripadvisor allows the review process leaves us with no direction to correct the issues with the appearance of the room in which you stayed. I do not have a room #, date of stay or even a record of the concerns that were brought to our attention during your stay at our property. It is not our goal to provide bad service or accommodations. We are a local, 3rd generation, family owned business who provides many local family’s with jobs to provide the best service we can to our visiting public. We have been doing this for over 75 years and have a tremendous amount of return guest, year after year. Unfortunately for us we have missed the opportunity to make you and your family one of those “repeat guest”. I apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced during your stay at the Sidney James Mountain Lodge and wish you the best in your future travels.

Sincerely

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Since Midtown Lodge has been torn down we've been trying to find another pet friendly hotel in Gatlinburg. We booked a room via Expedia for Sidney James Mountain Lodge. Arriving at 9:30 pm Friday night, the desk clerk asked how much the dog weighed. I opened my mouth and said 50 lbs. She said the policy was no pets over 35 lbs. She asked what kind of dog and I said Beagle mix. She still decided she couldn't let us stay. Keep in mind it's now close to 10 pm on a Friday night. We're only booked for one night and it's 3.5 hours to drive home. I called Expedia. They did refund my money. We found another place to stay that allowed pets - Terrace Inn on the Water which turned out to be a cigarette stench filled dump. 2 hours in the room and we drove home.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda O
SRMAPLES, General Manager at Sidney James Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Dear Brenda O

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry to we were not able to accommodate your lodging needs. Especially, since you were a past guest of the Midtown Lodge which was formally owned and operated by some of the same family that owns the Sidney James Mountain Lodge.
Everything you stated about our pet policy is correct and please understand that My staff was simply following the policys that we require them to do as part of their job. I only wish you had been better informed during the reservation process. Many times, when using a 3rd party reservation service, attention is not given to the details. Quite often, your call to these services are “farmed” to somewhere outside the USA. Our pet policy is fully stated on our home website, sidneyjames.com. Had you visited our Website or called our property direct, I am confident nothing would have been left to question and there would have been no surprises upon your arrival.
I am sorry to hear of your bad experience with the other property here in Gatlinburg. I wish it all could have been avoided.

Again, thank you for your review

S.Maples,GM
Sidney James Mountain Lodge

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Chose the motel after seeing a pic online. Nothing like the photo. Carpets were stained horribly.. rooms smelled and bedding was stained. The front desk help were outside smoking so as I entered the motel all I smelled was cigarette smoke. I asked that the bedding be changed and was transferred to housekeeping where I got a machine. After complaining was told the would put me in a different room. The 2nd room was slightly better but still disgusting. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

1  Thank grintica
SidneyJamesMtnLodge, General Manager at Sidney James Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear Grintica

I am Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the Stay at the Sidney James Mountain Lodge. I do apologize for the “offensive” reception you received upon your arrival to the Sidney James Mountain Lodge. I myself am a non-smoker and can identify with your displeasure and will try to use this information to better inform our staff of their role in the customer service business. I am also glad to hear that my staff was able move you to more suitable accommodations for the duration of your stay. Unfortunately, for us, our first impression proved to be a lasting one. Once again I apologize for your inconvenience.

Sincerely

Reviewed August 18, 2012

we arrived late monday night. went to our room on the ground floor. when we walked in its smelled so damp and musty i was sick! it was a basement apartment pretty much. i went to desk and said i could not stay there because of musty smell. lady at front desk very nice! gave me a room on 3rd floor. nice room.clean. still smelly but not as bad. we were in corner room 301 next to construction of old motel that woke us up every morning between 530 an 6 am!!! not happy! and i would not stay there this summer if u want a noise free morning!cause its a BIG hotel there tearing down. pool was nice, close to mountains and walking distance to everything. cafe was gross ants all over counters where cups and plates were sitting. no lights in stairwells. very dated and need of updates. best thing was the nice lady at front desk. the other ones i ran into were clueless to anything i asked for.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kelli f

Dear kelli f

I am Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the Stay at the Sidney James Mountain Lodge. The commercial zone in which are situated allows construction and demolition to take place at any time of day or night. However, I am happy to report the building across the stream and directly adjacent to us has been completely torn down and leveled off and returned to green space. The View and Noise is much nicer now. We have proactively been posting pictures on our facebook site to show our past and return guest the progress of the demolition. Thank you for acknowledging the level of service provided by Melisa, the clerk who tried to better accommodate your lodging needs. Next time you visit Gatlinburg, I hope you would consider stopping by the Sidney James and giving us the opportunity to better accommodate your stay.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had our family reunion at Sidney James Lodge and it was a great experience. Of the 14 different families staying there, everyone was extremely happy. The kids loved the pools, the rooms were clean and neat, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We were able to walk to the shops of Gatlinburg (some rode the trolley car) and restaurants. We had access to the meeting/banquet room all weekend and it was a great place to have our pot-luck dinner and meet with other families members. Everyone voted to do the reunion at this lodge again next year.

1  Thank DeanBrummitt

Dear Mr. Brummitt,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are pleased to hear that your family enjoyed the Sidney James and all our We also appreciate the nice compliments on our rooms, pools, and staff. We try very hard to give customers an enjoyable vacation experience when they come to Gatlinburg. As for the vote to have the reunion here next year, we would love, very much, to have that opportunity. Again, thank you and your family. We look forward to seeing you again as our guest at Sidney James Mountain Lodge.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I had stayed there last year, around the same time and loved it. The pool inside was great, and the rooms were even better. It was so great that we couldn't even hear the people next to us. The service was great, if we needed something they was always there. It was the first hotel where we had no complaints. We are planning on staying there again this Tuesday.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Elizabeth,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your last stay with us. We like to hear when our guests continue to make the Sidney James their home away from home when they visit Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountain area. We look to seeing you soon.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Me, my wife, and kids stayed Thursday night through Saturday morning August 2nd-4th at this hotel. It was very nice. We had a creek side view and the room was nice and cool. We will probably stay here again next time. It's just a short walk to Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. which is a great place to eat and a short walk to other attractions and shops. Just up the road from the hotel is a motor nature trail that is a must see. The pools and hot tub are very nice as well. We didn't eat at the cafe there this time but we will next time. Also the staff was very nice. I would strongly recommend staying at this hotel and strongly recommend eating at Bubba Gump.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear mpsmith20

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Thank you so much for the kind words you had to say about your stay at the Sidney James Mountain Lodge. The staff ,especially, loves to read good reviews about them, it lets them know that their efforts are appreciated by our Guest. We hope to see you again next time your in Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountain area.