“My family honeymoon.”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #59 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Franklin, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I've visited The Smoky Mountains over thirty times in my life. My family and I come at least once or twice a year, and have we have stayed at all sorts of places--i.e. hotel/motel rooms, campsites, timeshares, gorgeous mountain chalets with all the amenities, etc. We enjoy trying new places. It's part of the fun of vacation for us.

That being said, I decided to take my husband and kids to check out the Sydney James Hotel during our last visit to Gatlinburg (June 2011). I'd vacationed there as a teenager in the mid-to-late eighties, and had enjoyed the cool pool, as well as the creekside view. I was hoping it would be a nice place to stay the next time we ventured to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.

We went to the front desk and asked if we could see a room. They said they hadn't finished cleaning the rooms yet, and directed us to the indoor pool area to wait.

In a word--YUCK! The pics of the pool we'd seen on the internet must have been from when they first put the pool in* (circa 1987-ish). It didn't look like it had been cleaned since then, literally. The water was murky at best, there was brown film on the sides of the pool, and garbage (candy wrappers, cans, cigarette butts, etc) was strewn all around.

Also, the pool area was very dark and dank. I remembered it as being kinda cozy and inviting, but now seemed scary and gross, even in the middle of the day. The idea of the "grotto" is great, but due to the lack of upkeep, it kinda reminded me of stories I've heard about the Playboy Mansion's Grotto--ICKY! I would NOT let my children go near that water.

I was ready to leave then, but the guy from the front desk showed up and said there was a clean room available to see, so we proceeded to it.

The room was TRASHED--it had not been cleaned. To add insult to injury, the carpets were filthy, we saw a roach, and the entire room smelled foul. Plus, the "balony" was tiny--barely enough room for 4 people to stand, much less sit. Also the creekside "view" was horrible--a rundown, vacant hotel on the other side of the creek, and more trash lining the creekbed.

The guy giving the tour apologized for showing us the wrong (uncleaned) room, and offered to take us to a clean room. I declined.

The only quasi-good thing I can say about Sydney James is that the gentleman showing us around the grounds seemed genuinely embarassed by the state of the hotel, and was very apologetic.

It's really sad that this hotel has fallen into such disrepair. Although the balcony was small, I could've overlooked that if everything else (maintainence-wise) was up to par. Unfortunately, it just isn't.

I think this hotel lures people in with the very out-dated pics of the pool and the creek view. I doubt seriously if they have much in the way of repeat business.

I'm glad I didn't book a room here before seeing it firsthand--it would've ruined my family's whole trip. Do yourself a favor and find another place. You couldn't pay me to stay here now. This is, BY FAR, the worst hotel I've ever seen in Gatlinburg--hands down.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Emily W
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I was just there this past weekend. The staff was really helpful. Didn't have any problems with them being rude or anything. The only complaint that I have is that the tv had a line through it. Will go back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Independence
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Other than the fact that this hotel is in great need of updating. Over all it was clean and the staff was courteous. Disappointed that our room was across the street from the indoor pool. Overall the stay was nice.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed February 27, 2012

My group went to and stayed at the Sidney James Mountain Lodge for the Jaycees Conference. I must say we were pleasantly surprised at how nice this little hotel was and how nice and knowledgeable the staff was. I particularly enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub area after our meetings were over. The place was clean and well maintained. We had an excellent conference because of the Sidney James Mountain Lodge and The Sevier County Jaycees!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank fireman10161
High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed January 17, 2012

stayed on the courtside - bathroom had hairs that i had to wash off my self before the kids got in the shower. The pool was nice, kids enjoyed. The people at front desk are friendly. However some of the other guests were loud and had no consideration for others. Made so much noise, slammed doors, yelled at each other, wistled at 1-2 in the morning. The room had a small fridge, coffee maker but no microwave? The water in the shower went from cold to extreme hot and then cold again. We got what we paid for- that's for sure!

Room Tip: Do not stay courtyard side
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Alabama
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We stayed on the courtyard side, because we had our Boston Terrier with us. Our stay is right after the New Year and there weren't many people about.
Definitely the older part of the hotel. The AC/Heat was so loud we couldn't even hear the television. The hot water was brownish when first turned on and the beds were like The Flintstones beds. Hard as rocks. No dressing area for privacy and what really surprised us was there was a mini fridge and coffee maker,.... but no microwave. Go figure.
The front door looked as it is a left over from the 70's and should really have been replaced. The bathroom was freezing (although had its own fan/heater) and is in a different room from the sink and dressing table.....which is in full view of the rest of the room (no privacy).
Free wi-fi, but extremely slow.
On the upside, it was quiet and our room didn't smell - although it was a smoking room and we are non-smokers. The towels were sufficient and the shower was adequate. The staff was extremely nice and friendly and very helpful when we had a couple of problems with our card keys.
We are thinking the rooms creekside are much better rooms and prove to provide a much better stay. However, pets aren't allowed on that side, understandably.
Overall, it just seemed run down and in need of upgrading.

Room Tip: If you aren't travelling with a pet, stay Creekside.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family