“Friendly motel in the Smokies”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #52 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We have stayed at the Sidney James every spring for the past several years. The motel is older but it provides adequate lodging and is well away from the hectic commercial strip - yet close enough for a healthy walk. The staff and employees are friendly folks, do a fairly good job of maintaining the property, and are always helpful. The room rates are reasonable, all factors considered. The onsite food availability is limited - and if the hotel is very busy the one-person kitchen staff often gets overwhelmed. There are many food options not far from the motel however. The Sidney James is reliable lodging and we hope to return every year!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank bvroman1955

Reviewed December 11, 2011

We were a bit hesitant to stay here due to some of the other reviews, but I am glad we did. The price was right and the room was comfortable. Beds were fine, rooms very clean and no musty smell. We brought our own blankets and candles (for the smell) but didn't need to use them. The shower was a bit old, but I have seen worse. Water pressure was fine and the water heated up quickly. The room is a bit drafty, but the heater is strong and not very loud, so it stayed on. Tv a bit out of date, but worked fine. The indoor pool was nice and they provide towels at the pool. The hot tub was warm. We had a little problem with the room key, but we got it working after some jiggling.

The staff at the front desk were great. Very friendly. We never saw the housekeeping staff but we had fresh towels and a made bed everyday. it is a bit of a walk to downtown. We did it one night but the other nights we drove. We were able to park for free where we ate so it wasn't too bad. If it wasn't cold it would have been an easier walk. Parking was fine, many spaces.

Overall, I would recommend this motel to anyone who doesn't mind missing the frills but is looking for an inexpensive, clean motel with a pool near downtown Gatlinburg.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sam S
Reviewed November 25, 2011

When we walked into the room, there was a horrible mold smell! My husband and daughter who are both allergic to fleas kept getting bit! We went to go swimming in the pool, we had to leave because there was a large group of about 40 people swimming and standing around and drinking and smoking and the front desk did not do anything about it until at 11 when the pool closed. The beds are hard as a rock. I came home with bags under my eyes and a sore back due to the beds and not being able to sleep. The remote batteries died and the front staff said we would have to wait until the next morning when maintenance was there because he did not have any batteries. There is no microwave and the rooms are very small and outdated! The doors have cracks so cold air comes in. There is no counter space. The rooms are dirty. I had to wash my coffee pot before using due to it not being clean. There was some dog food left in a corner and dust behind the tv. We will never stay here again! It was a waste of money!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Lachelle B
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I have stayed at the Sidney James many times while over in Gatlinburg, and each time it never fails to please. It is ideally located on a side street in downtown Gatlinburg, and is directly located on the trolley route. We typically stay Creekside and the rooms we have had were all equipt with a fridge, vaulted ceilings, private balcony over-looking the creek, and one had a fire place. It is definitely an older hotel and that shines through on some aspects. But everything considered, I definitely think this hotel is great considering their rates. One downside: each time we've been there the pool has been pretty chilly and the waterfall in the pool area doesn't work; not even kind of a big deal, but that's the worst thing we could find. Will definitely stay at the Sidney James again

Room Tip: I would recommend the creekside rooms; have been told the rooms across the street aren't as nice...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2011

A double Wow-Wow! Our Senior Adults just got back from staying at Sidney James in Gatlinburg and we have heard nothing but good comments flowing our way. From getting there til the time we left, we all were treated like royalty. The Meeting Room was an extra incentive and marked one of the reasons for our stay there. Sometimes you see pictures that only "show" what you really don't see upon arrival. Not so here! Everything posted is what you get. The cleanliness of rooms was beyond what we could imagine (and we have stayed at some of the finest hotels). When there were "normal" problems, they were handled immediately. We have been going to the Gatlinburg area for 10 or 11 years with this group, and Sidney James will be our "stopping place" from here on out. Thank you again.

Room Tip: There is everything you need AND MORE! From location to service, it deserves more to be told than t...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Becky O
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We stayed at the Owl's Nest that is a 3 bdrm 2 bath cabin. We had 4 adults & 3 kids (7, 9 & 11). There is a master bdrm with a king bed & a bathrm. The other 2 bdrms are queen beds. There is a kitchen, screened in porch & a foosball table the kids loved. Big screen tv in lvg rm with vcr/dvd player. Lvg rm has a fireplace. We roasted marshmallows- they have skewers. 2 of the bdrms have tv. The great thing about staying in this cabin is you are separated from hotel guests. There aren't any neighbors! There is a kitchen with utensils, dishes, etc. Wish I brought a sponge to wash dishes & dish detergent. We brought food & bev. The beds weren't bad. Wish I would've brought my own pillow. There is a wall attached hair dryer in one bathrm. They had towels, soap & just shampoo. It's a short walking distance to downtown (approx 10 min). We walked to Dunkin Donuts for coffee. "Log cabin pancake house" down the street we ate bkfst at. Huge place, line moved fast & food was good. You can walk to the tram that takes you up the mt. & there are tons of stuff to do up there. Alpine slide (my fave), maze, mini golf, chair swing, playground, arcade, ice skating rink. We bought all you can do pass for the kids. Owl's Nest cost for 2 days = $355.16 total (with tax).

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank JayLa70
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I didn't pick this place for my trip and probably wouldn't have given the reviews here. It is an older hotel and it shows(I guess they have an even older annex, see my room tip about that). But we did get a place with a sauna, hot tub, indoor pool, acceptable internet, and a little restaurant just off the strip for about $60 a night. What can you really expect for $60? The room was dated but perfectly functional and clean. We had a fridge and microwave and a decent sized LCD type TV. I heard a little noise once or twice, but nothing to complain about. The creek was outside the window, and that was nice to hear with the sliding door open. My biggest and only really noteworthy complaint was the hot tub. It wasn't that hot and was a kinda green color that you couldn't see once you turned on the jets that turned it into a serious bubble bath. One of the staff did dump some stuff in it once, but the bubbles were back in about 10 minutes or less. It was that way for the 4 days we were there. The pool area was open till 1100 I believe, and that is nice. What interaction I had with the staff was pleasant and helpful. We wound up not eating at the Cafe, but thought it was nice that reasonably priced food was that close. I must say that I am not really a picky person and that if you are, you might not be happy here if you are expecting a lot. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: Get a room in the original building, not "across the street" Evidently they bought a neig...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family