“So dirty it probably wouldn't burn”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #51 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed October 17, 2007

Family booked room by phone after seeing it on the internet (we were fooled by the pictures). Arrived only to find a run-down old hotel that was about as nasty could be. Spider webs in every corner, mold in AC unit, blood stain on pillow case. They were charging $85 per night for this room! This place was more like some $19.95 per night "no-tell motel." I would not recommend it to anyone. I cannot imagine anyone looking at the room I saw and then writing a favorable review. The staff by the way are real nice until you ask for your money back. We refused to stay at this place and left ($85 poorer than when we arrived).

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank AverageVacationer
There are newer reviews for Sidney James Mountain Lodge

Reviewed October 17, 2007

Hotels.com gave this place two stars, but it is deserving of more. The staff was very helpful, and the on site restaurant, though a pool side cafe, cooks up a great T-bone steak! Who knew? The Sidney James is a very pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank eweber12
Reviewed October 17, 2007

Our stay at Sidney James Mountain Lodge was a very bad experience and this was our 34th Anniversary trip.
1. First of all upon arrival all rooms had been given away except the room we were given, they said it was the last room available. The Internet when i reserved the room in August 2007 said a creek view, fireplace, and Jacuzzi, we got a praking lot view.
2. I had asked for a non smoking room and the smell of cigarette smoke was very strong at the entrance of our room. A work room was next door, the workers must be using this room as a smoke room. Ash trays were sitting around in our room.
3. The carpet was nasty, spots all over it, we left our shoes on the whole time we were in the room.
4. The curtains did not cover the window entirely and allowed the street lights to glare in our face at night.
5. The exhaust fam in the bathroom did not work.
6. The air conditioning could not keep up, the room got very warm in the night.
7. The bed mattress was old, very hard and uncomfortable. My husband and myself got up every morning with a backache.
8. The water in the shower would scald you one minute and then freeze you the next.
9. The towels were very rough.
10. Only one pack of coffee with one pack of creamer was in the room for each day.
Upon arrival I called the front desk and put in a work order for the exhaust fam to be fixed in the bathroom and a curtain that would cover the window better. No one fixed anything during our stay. I also asked if anything could be done about the uncomfortable mattress and thry said no.
My husband and I were very disappointed with this place, our reservations were made on 8/29/07, they should not have given away their best rooms prior to our arrival with this early reservation and the amount of money we paid. We will never stay in this place again. They do not do any upkeep on the lodge at all. We have lots of friends and family that have been staying at Sidney James Mountain Lodge as well, I don't think they will be staying there anymore as well.

B. Bryant, RN.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Discouraged
Reviewed September 25, 2007

Complete Disaster !!! The room was soo nasty.. Here's just a few hair in the tub, rat turds under sink, balcony doors would not lock... The WORST hotel I have ever been too.. Yes its a good price.. But you are still paying.. And Im sorry Im not paying for something that nasty.. I dont need the top of the line, but seriously Just average is all Im asking for.. Please dont waste your time...

• Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank shoti22
Reviewed September 10, 2007

Dirty rooms, loud, stinky. It is cheap though.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank MrSocial
Reviewed September 10, 2007

Well I booked my hotel on the phone directly to the hotel and i set it up for 3 nights for $132.75, which I thought that price was just awesome... I called on a sunday to double check my reservations and the lady said yes hun I see you in my data base you will be staying 3 nights and checking out on sunday. I said yes that is correct and went on with my day.. well when My family and I got down there, they guy said $119.87 please and I said wow thats cheap and he said oh I gave you a 10 percent discount for arriving late. So I thought that was extremly nice but then I seen he only had thursday and friday wrote down, I said uh wait a second you didnt right sunday down and he said yeah I know you only got it for 2 nights I said no I dont, I reserved this til sunday morning.. He said give me a minute which was more like 20 minutes and said to add the other night stay on it will be 210.00 all the gether, and I just wasnt having that and I said no thanks thats not what I booked, so he said wait let me see what I can do for you.. He comes back and said ok how about 189.00 for 3 nights.. And still I said no.. I told him I will stay for the 2 days they wrote down and that is it... For my inconvience he switched my rooms from a courtside 2 double beds to a creekside balcony view 2 double beds.. That was nice and all but the room I requested had a microwave and the room they switched me to did not, thereforth all the microwave food I had purchased went in the trash... The rooms are really outdated, The pool was nice though.. It says they have a sauna but everytime you go to get in it, it is closed.. The cafe was very high priced....Food looked good though....The balcony view was pretty and very peaceful at night time...I did call back to the office while I was there and talked to another person and they told me I could have the last night for 57 not including tax but at that point I was so mad for the unprofessional mistake they made I didnt want to stay another night. Im not saying I wont ever stay again at this lodge I am just saying confirm confirm confirm and make sure they hear you when you say what days and how many days you will be staying..... And hopefully they update here in the near future.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank thelilsis1982
Reviewed September 5, 2007

I stayed at the Sidney James in early August 2007. I booked a last-minute vacation to Tn. when I found out my husband would be out of the country for a week and I decided to take a solo trip to Gatlinburg.

I found an excellent deal for the Sidney James online. I believe I booked it through the Gatlinburg website, but I can't remember exactly. I know at the time, the Sidney James was running a special where if you stayed 3 nights, the 4th was free.

Upon check-in, I found out they also offer military discounts, but it couldn't be combined with other specials, which was okay because I was already getting a fabulous deal. With taxes (and all other fees included) I believe it averaged out to about $40/night.

After checking it at 3:00 pm, I found my room which was located across the street from the main buildings in what is called the "Courtside" building. This section is separate from the main but still has access to a pool directly across from the rooms.

My room had 2 queen beds, a small table with 2 chairs, a dresser/desk combo and a small fridge. The bathroom was an ample size with a shower/tub combo, toilet and sink. Outside of the bathroom was a dressing area with a vanity/mirror. This is also where the coffee maker was located.

I had read some not so great reviews on TA before I left but after I had already booked my room so I was somewhat skeptical that I was going to find out that I had rented a dump. I was quite happy to find out that was no the case.

My room was super clean, maybe the cleanest of any motel of this kind that I've ever stayed in. The carpet and tile in the bathroom looked to be brand new. The bedding was in good condition, minus the blanket between the sheet and comforter. That was kind of dated but nothing that would keep me from staying here again. The furniture/nightstand/desk area was sort of dated and there was some damage to the bottom on the wood surrounding the fridge. The tv was very old looking but it worked fine. The room didn't have any funny smells or anything and the A/C was nice & cold. All in all, I was very happy with the condition of my room. I didn't make it over to the main building during my stay so I can't speak for that part although it looked equally nice.

In closing, I'd like to say that I felt that my room was an excellent value and I felt very safe while staying at this hotel. My room was clean and it was nice and quiet and I would stay here again. I really enjoyed the fact that it was close enough to the main strip in Gatlinburg that I could walk if I so chose, but that it was far enough away that I didn't have to hear/deal with traffic all day and night. It's not a 5 star kind of place, but I wasn't looking for that. I was looking for somewhere clean and affordable and I found just that in the Sidney James.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo