“not the best.”

Ranked #9 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Crab Orchard
“not the best.”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I like to write happy reviews, aand I LOVE Hampton inns, but I just cannot say very much about this Hampton Inn.
The goods:
The location IS wonderful! The staff was friendly, the bathrooms were clean. I loved the balcony above the river of my room, I love that it had a fireplace.
The not so goods:
I booked my room via phone, because I was travelling, and though I had never been to this location, I know (or thought I knew) Hampton Inn is always a safe bet. The hotel is under construction, I realize I am there off season, and they have to do the work some time, but I was beat, and had they told me when I inquired about the room, that they were working on the room, I would not have stayed there. They started the work early, and of course it was loud and woke me up. I did not get to drive all day and sleep in as I had planned. That made for a bad day.
The fireplace did not work, I called the front desk, they sent a man up to fix it. It was very nice, unitl I turned it off when I left the room to eat, and it would not come back on. I wasn't going to mess with it, I can get mean when I am tired, and the desk people were so nice, I did not want to be mean to them.
The breakfast was medicore.No meat, no cinnamon rolls. The omlette was burnt, the toast did not fit in the toaster. I was not impressed.
I passed 30 hotels with the same amineties, and cheaper priced to get to the Hampton Inn. I am thinking that I cannot just trust the name Hampton to mean great anymore. That really complicates my life, and makes me sad.

Room Tip: Hmm. Don't stay until renovations have been complete.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank Melissa W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Cedar Point, North Carolina
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights after Christmas. We stayed in room 101 which is the Creek-view King room with a Jacuzzi and Fireplace. The room was in good overall condition and we had no problems. The carpet looked a bit old, but they will be updating everything this year according to a notice we saw. The TV was a flat-screen, but the picture wasn't very crisp.

The fireplaces are a bit disappointing since the are encased in glass and put off very little heat.

The housekeeping was great. Very clean and usually very early except one day when they were obviously having a big turnover, not problem for us.

The Location can not be beat! We love being able to walk right onto the Parkway near the best places to eat.

The only thing I would have liked better was if other guests wouldn't be allowed to smoke on their balconies. I didn't like smelling smoke in a non-smoking facility.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mit43
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed December 25, 2011

Room was full of dust pillows were covered with hair , booked for 5 nights left next morning.
My sinuses were so bad the next night ended up at a clinic.
This is not hampton just in name, will look much closer to reviews next time.
Note! party of 4 two rooms both this bad.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Danny W
Reviewed December 2, 2011

This is a standard Hampton Inn, with a standard business style room, with the excaption of having a fireplace. The location is GREAT. It's directly across from several sit down restaurants including Calhoun (dinner) and Flapjacks (Breakfast). The hotel is within walking distance to all of downtown gburg.

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank OnTheGo1202
Rose S, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Gatlinburg, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Dear OnTheGo1202,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I think most would agree that our location is fantastic. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your future visits!
Edgewood
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Feathered down comforters!!! Can't beat the comfort!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank rkouvakas
mississippi
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I thought this was a nice Hampton inn. The hotel was clean and in an excellent location. What made this hotel better than average was the young man doing the breakfast, He was very helpful and sincere. This young man is a definite asset for this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank vol13w
Dear vol13w,
Thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor. Ivan is ,without a doubt, a huge asset to our property and we enjoy his company as much as our guests do! We hope to see you again soon.
Miami
Reviewed November 22, 2011

At $107.00+ per night and compared to other Hampton Inn's, this property falls short.

The Good Stuff:
Ideal location.
All employees I encountered were friendly and totally professional.
Better than expected free breakfast.
Quality beds and linens.
Daily maid service was just adequate.
Fire places and balconies add a specail touch.
Free amply parking.

The Bad Stuff:
Non-functioning to slow internet.
Room furnishings, lighting and carpet is old, worn and ugly.
TV reception is really bad.
Room carpet was never vacuumed the entier 6 night.
Little sound proofing; rooms are loud/difficult to sleep.
No Gym; must go behind hotel a block away to Garden Inn.
Considering you're in Gatlinburg at a Hampton Inn I think it's expensive...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank bowman716
Dear bowman716,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am happy to see you have been a repeat guest of the Hampton Inn Gatlinburg. Our property will be undergoing a complete renovation just after the new year. It will include a complete renovation of the guest rooms with new furniture and installation of microwaves and refrigerators in every room. Our expected completion date is early 2012. I hope you will continue to be a repeat guest at the Hampton Inn Gatlinburg and stay with us after our renovation.
Thank you again for your continued loyalty,