“Hoped it would be better...”
Review of Old Creek Lodge

Old Creek Lodge
Ranked #5 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My expectations of a hotel: I want a clean, well kept room that shows little evidence of a previous guest. I want a reasonably comfy bed and clean bed linens.

I researched places to stay in Gatlinburg at thought this hotel would be affordable for our trip budget and based on other reviews, a good choice. I knew the property was older, but felt pretty confident that the renovations would make that a non-issue.

We arrived to our room late in the evening and were on the top floor which I was pleased with. The front desk staff person was very nice and all seemed good.

The first thing we noticed upon entering the room was the carpet was worn out and tattered. A turn off, but not a biggie. The room looked just like the photos online. At first glance everything looked okay. There is a fireplace in the room. It is on a timer switch and enclosed in glass which makes sense for a hotel room. There is a nice balcony and you can hear the water rushing in the creek below which was neat. All rooms back up to the creek below. All rooms have outdoor access.

The bed linens were okay but there was hair from a previous guest on the throw pillows. I removed those pillows and the linens seemed to be okay until I went to bed and there was a mascara stain on one of my bed pillows. The mattresses were the oldest and most noisy mattresses I had ever heard. When you made any movement, it was loud. Like the twisting and stretching of old ropes. If you were still, it was okay, but any movement and it sounded like an old hammock. :(

The bathroom surfaces were dark, so I couldn't tell if the shower was dirty. But there were hairs in the sink and when I reached for a towel, there were hairs on the guest towels, not my color. :( The toilet wasn't clean when we arrived either.

When I got up from our noisy sleep the next morning, I headed for the bathroom in the darkness and daylight was shining in from underneath the door. Like a 1/4 to 1/2 inch space. I wondered why we could hear the delivery trucks coming down River Road so loudly and that explained it.

The breakfast was just okay. Biscuits and gravy. A few dry cereals. Waffles. An assortment of small pastries and a little fruit. Toast. Coffee, OJ. Again, the morning staff were very nice.

We were scheduled for two nights. After we returned to our room after breakfast we found that a band-aid was holding the "Do Not Disturb" sign together. So we decided to leave.

I wish our experience had been more pleasant because it is a great location and the front desk staff were very nice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank wearytogo

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Tried Old Creek Lodge because of it's great location...we like to stay on River Rd. This was a last minute trip for us and the other 2 hotels we like to stay at were booked...Old Creek had rooms available and now we know why. Room had a smell to it that wasn't musty but as if it just needed a good cleaning. Furniture was very dusty, crumbs on floor and still some trash on floor behind waste can in living area. It is nice that they're so close to Bennett's and the entrance to park. Claiming to have a beautiful river-view may be the case from some rooms, but ours had a view of the rear of a building that has gone out of business and lots of trash is piled up behind it! (building is in L shape and we were in part closest to lobby) Not my idea of a beautiful river view!!! The river does have a comforting sound though when patio door is left open. Not sure what their NO SMOKING all entails and was going to ask because every time we went out on our balcony (we are non-smokers) the people directly below us were out smoking. We love to be outside but this kind of ruined it for us. Was going to question but when we stopped in lobby, the only lady working was kicked back in the chair in front of desk with her feet propped up eating a bag of Sunchips...she seemed as if it was a major inconvenience to have to ask if she could help us! Carpet had a grimy feel to it and couldn't bring myself to sit on the comforter which you know is never cleaned because it weighed a ton and would take forever to dry. Beds are hard as a rock and both of our back were killing us after what was supposed to be a relaxing time. Only good thing was we were given a discount we didn't know about when we checked in because we were staying 4 nights...however still not worth what we paid. There are much nicer hotels in area for the same $$.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 1lor
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Spent the weekend at Old Creek Lodge with my Mom and Aunt. Excellent place! Staff were very friendly, helpful. Rooms were very nice, the fireplace was great and the balcony overlooking the stream was really nice. The location is great - one block off the main street. Very quiet and comfortable. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lindyg79
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were scheduled to stay here the last week of September, but after we got there decided to find somewhere else. When we arrived, I hadn't realized that this is actually the old Fairfield Inn on River Rd. Right next to Bennett's was a really nice perk. It's a little further down River Rd than we wanted because we wanted to be closer to the middle of town. Check in was good and we were given a free ticket to the aquarium. When we got to our room though, the beds werehard as a rock. None of us slept all night. The fireplace was nice and the balcony was small but also nice. The downside of the balcony was the view of the rooms at the Fabulous Chalet Inn across the river. The other thing was the price jump at this hotel just because of the weekend. The other hotel we changed to only went up $20. This hotel jumped $40 in price just because of the weekend. Overall, doubt if we will be staying here again. There are other places nicer and cheaper.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank rgoz3Dayton_Ohio
Reviewed October 3, 2012

During this one night stay, my beau & I decided to switch it up a little. We normally reside at the Fairfield by Marriott on the north side, but I had read so many positive reviews on this hotel, I figured that one night would be enough to see how the life is at this location.

TripAdvisors, Thank you. We are truly in love with this hotel! :-)

Everything was clean & spotless, which was important for me. The location was great, in my beau's eyes. We both loved the fireplace, view over the river & the jacuzzi tub.

I didn't take part in the continental breakfast, but the beau was able to go down one morning for coffee, OJ and a paper; he said that the coffee was pretty good!

First impressions are everything. The staff was very courteous, the location was awesome, and the ambience in the room was very sedate and calming. We will definitely return to the Old Creek Lodge!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AuntiMimi70
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Although not on the main drag in Gatlinburg it is in walking distance to everything and was very cost effective. The views were great and say over a very relaxing river. I found the staff to be nice and the breakfast was awesome. We will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 27, 2012

First thing we noticed about this hotel is the location....it's great! It is on the more toned down end of Gatlinburg, right next to the Smokie Mountain Park, and on a stream. Second thing we noticed was the room. Very clean which is one of our most important details. It was also spacious, had a fire place, and a very nice balcony. The air units in the rooms were seriously the most silent air unit I have ever heard in my life. The check in staff was not very friendly but the rest of the staff we encountered were very friendly as is everyone in Gatlinburg. I really wanted to give the hotel a 4 or higher but there are a couple things holding it back. The bed was pretty comfortable but made awful noises just sitting on it. When we rolled over in the middle of the night we would actually wake yourself up because of the awful noise the bed made. The other problem is the paper thin walls. Oddly we could not hear the stream with the balcony door closed but we could hear people next to us talking like they were in our room and one night could even hear someone snoring in a room next to us. The continental breakfast was fine. They had little donuts, muffins, bagels, cereal, juice and coffee. The usual stuff. Overall, we were pleased but it also seemed to be a pretty quiet time in Gatlingburg, I have heard it can get pretty rowdy, I am guessing at spring break times and college break times. Very nice hotel with just a couple oddities.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple