“Adequate”

Ranked #43 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
N. Atlanta
“Adequate”
Reviewed December 27, 2009

We stayed 1 night and we thought our room was adequate. All of the decor is dated in the hotel, including the lobby and rooms. However, our room was clean and the beds and pillows were comfortable. The bathroom was average size and the tub appeared new. I could not get any hot water in the shower and so suffered through a cold shower. My husband called the front desk and asked for hot water and 5 minutes later we had hot water. Not sure if they don't always turn it on? I had never experienced that before. The pool area is kind of dated also. We got a really good deal at $62 a night which I thought was fair. I might have been upset if we had paid more. Overall, we were happy for one night.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Tn
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Photos are very deceiving, staff rude, but the thing that sent us packing was the roach bugs crawling from behind the headboard

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank punkytn25

Travelers are raving about these Gatlinburg hotels

Muncie, IN
Reviewed October 30, 2009

We stayed here for the 4th time this October. The same things that keep bringing us to Glenstone were just as we expected them. Clean room, clean and warm pool, great breakfast buffet and great location.

Some people think the location is not close to the strip but you really are about a block away. Yes it is uphill on the way back but if you can't walk a block uphill then maybe Gatlinburg is not the place for you. We have a 6 year old and a 10 month old so I know what it's like to push a stroller up the hill. Again if you can't do it find another town to vacation in.

Another great stay.

Georgia
Reviewed October 28, 2009

This was my familys first time to the area and we had a wonderful time in Gatlinburg and at Glenstone Lodge.

I recently planned and attended my famaily reunion at the Glenstone Lodge and it was the perfect place for my family. Working with their sales staff and catering department made my planning so easy. We had a large cookout one evening under a large covered pavilion near the river located on the hotels property. It was a great place for our family to spend time together and have a different experience than being stuck inside a banquet room with a formal dinner served and not much else to do afterwards. There was a large grassy area for the kids to play games and offer the adults some time for interaction without being closed in a four wall area with limited activiities for the kids. The bbq was great, we did have their chef prepare the bbq with all the fixens. We decided the next time we come we may have a band under the pavilion for entertainment. There was plenty of room. The kids also enjoyed the indoor pool.

The rooms were clean and offered enough room for my family of 4.

We will definitly stay here again when we come to Gatlinburg and my family is already talking about our 2010 reunion.

Mc Kenzie
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Stay Away....remember you have been warned. The hotel is very outdated and semi-clean. My stay hear was very disappointing. I was in town for an educational conference (it was actually the conference hotel) I suggest the person who booked this hotel should be terminated immediately. Upon check-in the staff was rude to my co-workers. When I entered my room I had trouble with the deadbolt and my tv, the maintenance man did come up promptly to resolve my issues. The next day I was stuck on the elevator and had to go to a different floor to get off. And the most upsetting/disappointing thing was when I left for the conference in the a.m. the maid was a couple of doors down cleaning, when I returned around 7:30 p.m. my door was open and my room had not been cleaned. I was told by front staff clerk that a note would be left for the manager. When checking out the next morning around 10:30 a.m. I spoke to the manager who said he hadn't checked his box so he was unaware of any problems. I handed him a note with all my problems listed he read them told me he could offer me a $15 a day discount and that was all he could do. Never was an apology issued to me. Trust me there's plenty of options in Gatlinburg don't make this hotel one of them.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Kentucky
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I have to say, I was a little "gun shy" when reading some reviews. We decided to stick with Glenstone and are glad we did. Oh my goodness, our experience was awesome! My kids ages 4 and 2 had a great time playing in the pool, the kiddie pool was a huge bonus for us, they loved the waterfalls! I have to say I was please all around. The staff was super friendly. The cleaning staff did a great job also. Just have to say this: My daughter carries her Raggedy Anne doll when she is sleeping over...she wanted to carry it with us when we were in Gatlinburg...we told her we couldn't (afraid we would lose her)...so we told her to leave her in the hotel room to "sleep", so she covered her up and we left...When we returned the room was cleaned and looking at the bed where Raggedy Ann laid when we left, the cleaning staff took the time and care to cover the doll back up like she was sleeping and make a 4 year old little girl feel better about leaving her beloved doll there!!! I thought this was amazing!!! We will return!!! Would recommend this hotel to everyone with little ones and without!

Atlanta
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Make no mistake...this isn't a modern indoor room hotel with glass elevators resembling an Embassy Suites like I got the impression it was from their photos. There is a reason they don't show you any exterior photos...that would give it away that this is an old, exterior room hotel complete with slatted transom windows above the doors. It's really not anything more than a cut rate, rather old hotel trying to get by with spending as little as they have to. Our room wasn't awful...it was reasonably clean and the bed wasn't too bad, but it certainly wasn't anything to write home about. I did speak with some ladies at the bus stop however that informed me that their first floor room near the pool was infested with mold and stank pretty bad.

What REALLY cracks me up is the management response on another review that states they're only about a block from the strip. YEAH RIGHT. They're right at 1/2 mile UPHILL from the strip. Talk about misleading.

Our AC unit the first night squealed like a cat getting acupuncture till I figured out that if I piled a lot of weight on top, it would stop howling. SOO...I piled up all our luggage on top of it so we could sleep. The bathroom was reasonably clean, but tiny and very basic. You had to hold the handle on the toilet to get it to flush and it was so old that the chrome handle on the toilet had pitted and was starting to rust.

My advice - if you're going to stay here - request a high floor room away from the pool area as the ones on the first floor have apparently flooded at some point and have mold issues. Really though, I think there are probably better choices in town unless it's just REALLY packed when you happen to be going. I'll be staying somewhere else next time.

The place needs a major overhaul (or just torn down and rebuilt) but I suspect the owners are just trying to wring as much profit out of the old place as they can before they are forced to tear it down.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple