“Do Not stay in this hotel..Trust Me”
Review of Glenstone Lodge

Glenstone Lodge
Ranked #36 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed March 26, 2006

First off, let me say as far as the staff, they were very polite! Fast to assistance you with you concerns, except for the lady whom checked us in. She told us she did not have a room for us, which I had already paid for online..Had I not had my confirmation with me, I would have been out of luck. I told the lady she needed to find me a room, so she told me she would put me in someone elses room!!! WHAT??? Is this how it works?? So does this mean that the family that checked in prior to us got our room, so in turn she put us in someone elses?? Then we get to our room and it "smelled like dirty feet". YUK. The bathroom was so small you have to literaly back in. Your knees rub the door while you back between the toilet and sink just to shut the door. When you shower, you stand in water ankle deep. Then when we went to bed, it was impossible to keeps the sheets on the mattress. Children wanted to swim, but would not let them because the water was so mucky green in color you could not see thru it. Last but not least, my teenage children was offered to purchase drugs from some other high school kids that was also staying at the hotel. I understand this was not the hotels fault as far as the kids were concerned, so we just left. It was HORRIBLE. As far as the "Patio Resturant down stairs, it was great and the price was only $5.00. Hotel decor, very outdated, and overpriced for what you get. Location,well, not so good either. 1/4 mile hike uphill all the way. Don't be mislead by the photo on the website, because it is very misleading. So my opinion, this place is terrible at best. Thank you trip advisor for letting us share our opinions & advice.

• Stayed: March 2006
20  Thank LOVEaVACATION
Write a ReviewReviews (1,030)

chatsworth,ga
Reviewed March 8, 2006

Let me just say that this is the worst hotel my friend and I could have stayed at in Gatlinburg. Check in was ok, the girl at the front desk was nice, and the lobby made it seem like it was going to be a really nice hotel. We go up to our room and we couldn't believe how awful it was, and I know that it's a old hotel and everything but there is no excuse for that. The overrall room wasn't necessarily bad, it mainly looked like any other hotel room. We only had 1 washcloth and 2 towels for 2 people and that's just not enough. I took a shower, and the water just kept going from hot to cold that I couldn't even finish taking a shower because it got so aggrevating. The pool is probably the nicest part about this hotel, and it's too expensive to pay the money just to swim in a pool. They only have 20 channels on the tv (i'm not exaggerating)not 1 is a music channel and there are several channels on there twice. Plus, there wasn't even a good alarm clock in our room. We thought we had overslept and it turned out that there was something wrong with our alarm clock so it was only 9 and we thought it was 10:30 so we only had 30 minutes to get ready and check out. The clock was soo faint that you couldn't even hear it (no joke) and it was turned all the way up. So we explained this to the front desk, and the lady was absolutely RUDE as could be. First, we took the alarm clock down there to her and explained our deal, well instead of listening to us she decided to continue answering the phones, all she was worried about was what card we were going to put it on. Rude, Rude, Rude! That really made us mad, and then when we were leaving she never ONCE!! said i'm sorry your stay was so bad or never come back or anything. This hotel is over priced for what you get, and it's just not worth it when there are cheaper and better hotels.. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed: March 2006
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
North Carolina
Reviewed November 22, 2005

We check in with a group. I asked for non-smoking w/ 2 queen bed and was given smoking. When I complained to desk, they changed my room to non-smoking with a king bed and a pull out sofa. The sofa bed was horrible and they did not have any extra pillows for the sofa bed. You could smoke in the halls on a non-smoking floor. There is no room service and the resturant is only open certain hours. The elevators are as slow as molasses and there are no carts to bring your luggage up. The staff seems highly incompetent in customer service. Also, they allow smoking by the in-door pools. This really gripes me, due to the fact that guests with breathing problems, can not enjoy the same benefits as those that are healthy. It was not the cleaniest hotel that I have stayed in either. I also asked about a computer and was told that they had a computer room but it was locked and they didn't have a key. Next time, I will know to choose Holiday Inn right beside the Glenstone Lodge.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 23, 2005

As a frequent business traveler, I have stayed in a wide variety of hotels. Add to this that since I was a small child, I have visited Gatlinburg many times for over 44 years, I am pretty familiar with what should be expected when booking accommodations to this area. My wife and I came up with one of those last minute brainstorms to take the kids and my mom up to Gatlinburg this past weekend. We knew we would be going to Pigeon Forge during part of the day, but we wanted to stay in Gatlinburg as we enjoy walking in town during the evenings. I used the Internet to check out the properties that had vacancies and to view pictures of the facilities. I thought the Glenstone looked nice and they had vacancies for the two nights we required. My wife found this site the day before our departure, and we were quite nervous after reading the reviews and were ready for a fight when we arrived. As she said, she can take old but not dirty. The lobby was as advertised in the pics, and we found the staff very accommodating. As we were prepared to look elsewhere when we arrived, we did not unload any luggage prior to checking out the rooms. We had reserved two rooms, but I had failed to request that they adjoin. We went to the rooms assigned to us, we found them totally acceptable and as advertised in the pics on the Glenstone website, but on opposite sides of the wing. We went back to the desk and were given keys to a couple of different rooms and found two that did adjoin. We did not find any of the horror stories of dirty rooms or mold in any of the 6 rooms we went through. The rooms are fairly representative of any room you will get if you stay within walking distance of the main strip of Gatlinburg. I would compare them to Comfort Inn, Best Western, etc. as far as size and ammenities. Our rooms faced the outdoor pool, I would think if you face the indoor pool you may have some noise and heat issues. We would have liked rooms that faced the street with the balconies, but none were available. The bathrooms were somewhat small, but workable. The living area was larger than an average hotel. We found the beds very comfortable. The kids loved the indoor pool that stayed opened fairly late, and they went down in the evenings after we returned from town each night. The outdoor pool area looked nice, but it was too cool to use. We ate breakfast at the restaurant one morning before heading to Pigeon Forge. They were having a special for $5. Cooked to order eggs and meats were good, fruit was not fresh but edible, and the grits were a little runny, but for 5 bucks, it still beat fast food and we did not have to wait in line. We did go to the Pancake Panty the next morning, but only because we were not in a hurry and it is one of those "must do" things when in Gatlinburg. All in all we found the facilities to be as advertised, the staff very accommodating, and most importantly everything was clean. There were a couple of negatives. The hotel sits about 4 tenths of a mile up a hill from the main drag. It is not a bad walk, but if that is an issue, the trolley stop is right next to the hotel. The elevators are old and slow, so we used the staircases and stairwells for the most part. When we ate breakfast at the hotel they did not make it well known that the gratuity was included in the bill. We found out by accident as we were paying, after leaving a tip on the table. The table had been cleared, but the gratuity was removed from our bill when we requested. Parking close to your room's access point may be a challenge when they get busy. I gave the Glenstone a 4 as I feel it is above average for the locale. My best guess is that most of the negative comments posted on this web site are from people not familiar with the area. My suggestion for future travelers to the area is that for the most part, all of the hotels in Gatlinburg proper have been around 20 years or more and none would be considered 4 or 5 star (diamond) caliber
property. The newer ones are either on the extreme edges of town or in Pigeon Forge. We would not hesitate to stay at the Glenstone in the future.

• Stayed: October 2005
15  Thank NWS61
Reviewed September 11, 2005

King-sized Non-smoking rooms are on a first-come first-serve basis! Something they fail to tell you when they make your reservation and take the first nights deposit. When we arrived to check-in it was very hot in the building. The first room they gave us had 2 double beds, smelled awful, overlooking the roof, and was dirty! After returning to the front desk hollering about our room they were quickly to put us in a King-size room BUT it was a SMOKING room with a balcony and fireplace. It did not smell like smoke so we were happy. It was very hot all throughout the Hotel. The pool is eye catchy but dont be pulled in by just the pool it does not make up for the run down place. On Saturday our towels were changed out and they did not leave us any washcloths! COME ON! I was not satisfied with GlenStone Lodge and will not be returning! There are plently of other Hotels better then this for the price!

• Stayed: September 2005
11  Thank David A
Tennessee
Reviewed August 28, 2005

Huge Roaches around pool, this is not a joke. I saw another review that stated this and thought "sour grapes". I was WRONG. Room had strong musty smell with what looked like mold or mildew on ceilings. We stayed one night and requested refund for second night. Pool and front lobby were great, which is why we picked this motel from the internet. Sadly, pool and lobby are not all that is important!!

• Stayed: August 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 16, 2005

I had read the reviews of others and I was very worried about what I would find at this hotel. Like another reviewer, I was booked there by a timeshare resort and could not change it. There was no line to check in at around 5 pm. The front desk staff was friendly and there was no problem checking in. Someone else came up and complained that their view was of the roof and the staff agreed to move them to another room with no problem. The lobby is nice with a glass elevator. The hallways on the sides of the hotel are a little old looking and need to be redone but they weren't filthy or anything. Our room was very clean and the air was on when we got there. There was also a fridge (which we weren't expecting) and it was clean as well. My 10 yr old loved the indoor pool with waterfall and I liked the fact that the deeper pool was on a different level. There were lots of warm towels poolside to dry off with at both the indoor and outdoor pools. The indoor pool did close earlier than was posted but the outdoor stayed open past the curfew. We did not eat at the breakfast buffet (no time) but it looked great and people seemed to be enjoying themselves. The hotel is a short walk to downtown (if you enjoy walking). The only complaint I had was that upon returning late one evening, lots of parking spaces near our room had been blocked off. When I inquired about why we couldn't park conveniently, the staff did not know and stated that maybe maintenance had done it. This barricade stayed up through the whole next day until finally some of the other visitors to the hotel took it down. The river walk is not anything they really should brag about either as it is a SHORT walk by a small stream that you can not even get close to. Other than that our stay was quite enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2005