“Not the Best”
Review of Glenstone Lodge

Glenstone Lodge
Ranked #36 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed October 6, 2009

You have to pay for ice to be delivered to your suite. We needed alot of ice. We paid to have our luggage taken form the bus and put back on bus. They were short staffed and two little old women and one man came. So we helped. The hot water did not get hot. No microwave or refrigerator in room. Room was clean but could use some updating. I did like the way the pool was designed. Staff in Patio room were friendly. Staff at desk were very helpful when a member of our group lost there wallet. Over all if you want an afforable stay its ok. But I think I would stay somewhere else, not the most romantic spot.

• Stayed: October 2009

Reviewed October 5, 2009

I organized a photography trip for 3 friends and me into the Smoky Mountains park. I was looking for a hotel that was affordable, convenient, clean, comfortable, and safe. We didn't require anything more than that. I can safely say that the Glenstone Lodge delivered.

I reserved two double adjoining rooms three weeks ahead of time. That is exactly what I got when we showed up. There were no problems with my reservation, no bait and switch, no misplaced information.

The rooms were clean and comfortable with the appropriate and "standard" amenities one would expect to find - in-room coffee service, towels, soaps, shampoos, average television, average pillows, standard furnishings.

The breakfast buffet was good - not great - not bad - just, well, average.

Our biggest complaint was the lack of wi-fi service. The hotel's website says there is "Wi-Fi throughout the hotel", but that was absolutely not the case. We had to go to the areas in and around the lobby to check email and upload our photos to our various services.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. Not because it is a bad hotel. It isn't. But for "average" in a town filled with average, I would stay somewhere either on the main street or even further away (even the location is average).

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2009

I knew I was at a special place When I walked in the doors. The desk help greeted us With a warm hello and a cheerful smile.A true definition of southern hospitality for the duration our stay.The wife and kids truly enjoyed the the bi level indoor pool and the sunbathing by the outdoor pool. The room was roomy clean and comfortable. Every thing that we wanted to do were within A short walk of the hotel. So the location was prime. The Breakfast buffet was great and A real Value for the price. We had a nice picnic in the covered picnic area and had grills there to cook our steaks. It was very relaxing to eat dinner while listening to the babbling brook. If you want a great place to spend a relaxing vacation with the family. I say stay here. The staff makes you fell as if there welcoming you into there home. instead of some place they work. A rare thing in this day and time. Well I could say so much more. but i am getting a little long here. Go and see for yourself this gem in the smokies.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank hoskins40810
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Hello. Me and my family just got back from Gatlinburg, TN this weekend. We were not please at all with this hotel. My first impression was VERY bad. As soon as we walked into the door it smelled very old and musty and reminded me of a FUNERAL HOME smell and feel. When I had originally called and spoke to a lady at the front desk she was not very nice to me at all. I had asked her if the hotel was near the downtown strip and she said yes. WRONG. It was one of the furtherist hotels it would be ok to walk if you did not have small children or a stroller to push but was not close at all. So we had to pay for parking which was another $6-8. The rooms were ok small. The beds were pretty comfortable but the rooms were very old too. The TV only had 10-15 channels just basic cable and the bathroom was VERY small and the hot water only lasted about 5 minutes if that when u took a shower. What was a HUGE let down to me was the indoor pool. It was the main reason I got this room was for my KIDS to swim in this cool indoor pool. They were sooo UPSET when we were going to get in it and there was GREEN ALGEY growing all over the sides of it and on the bottom and when we stopped a man who worked there his response was .. ok I can just scrap it off! So the kids were upset. The outside pool was better. The towels they provided outside to use smelled like Mildew. It was just one thing after another. The restraunt we did not eat out there. The old smell was so strong to us it kind of turned us off from eating the food there. I would just not recommended this room at all. I'm not being picky at all just honest especially if you do have small kids. It's just not close to town and the ammenities and customer service was bad. I did see some hotels while we were in town that looked nice and were on the strip we might try next tim. I would rather pay a little more than to save a few bucks to have the experience agaian that me and my family did. Some of the names I saw were the Gatlinburg Inn right next to the Sky Lift and Best Western Twin Islands it is right by Aquarium and Hard Rock Cafe! :0) Thanks.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
GlenstoneGM, General Manager at Glenstone Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2009

Our intention is to always provide the best customer service possible to our guests. Therefore, we are most appreciative for any constructive feedback a guest provides. We apologize for any rudeness that the guest may feel that he or she experienced when making a reservation. As much as we regret the displeasure of these guests, we must respectfully disagree with several of their allegations.

Our lobby is far from the appearance of a funeral home. It is filled with a lot of natural light from the glass wall and many chandeliers. We have several arrangements of live plants and flowers. Our guests generally find this very welcoming and appreciate it.

Our facility is close to the main strip. The reservationist was quite correct in her description. The hotel is located about a block from the downtown area. For most this is well within walking distance. Our guests appreciate being away from pedestrian and car noises yet having the convenience of being only a block away. A trolley stop is located in front of the hotel for those who choose not to walk the short distance or do not want to pay for parking.

It is disappointing to hear that the number of stations affected a family vacation. We provide stations that are most requested by our guests.

As for the indoor pool….this is one of the highlights of our facility. We treat the pool on a daily basis and take great pride in the enjoyment that so many families have experienced there. Our pool is painted a dark color on the inside to encourage a lagoon appearance. This may have created the perception of “algae”.

In addition, our food has been known throughout the area for years as being outstanding. We have had the same chef for almost nineteen years and he expects the highest quality from his staff. If the guests had experienced our made-to-order waffles or omelets then they may have a different opinion.

Once again, we deeply regret the disappointment that these guests experienced. Our goal is to always provide quality service at an affordable rate. We have many happy guests who come back year after year.

Reviewed August 10, 2009

The Glenstone Lodge is a modestly priced motel compared to others in Gatlinburg. It sits off of the main drag and away from the traffic, which was fine by us. A little walk (maybe a block, or so) and you are right downtown. Sure, it's on a little bit of a hill, but what in Gatlinburg isn't? If you don't like climbing hills, the Great Smoky Mountains probably aren't the place for a vacation!

The main lobby of the Glenstone surprised me! A glass elevator was not what I was expecting. The room we had was around the back near some rushing water, which was very peaceful to listen to at night. Our room was like many others we have stayed in. Nothing really jumped out to make it spectacular, or horrendous. When we walked in, it had no musty smell like some rooms we've stayed in. It had a refrigerator (which we asked for), coffee maker, hair dryer, and clothes iron. The bathroom was just a tub and toilet. The door separated the sink and towel cabinets from the rest of the bathroom.

The A/C worked fine in our room. The TV gets very basic cable, fifteen channels, or so. The two queen beds were not lumpy or worn out. Typical hotel-style pillows (is it a rule that they have to be so uncomfortable and hot?). The room was completed with a table and a couple of chairs.

The outdoor pool was very nice and relaxing with the water from the nearby river flowing over the rocks creating a tranquil setting. We found the outdoor pavillion to be a good spot for a picnic. The indoor pools, however, need some attention. The pools are lined with a dull grayish concrete coating, which makes the water look brackish. The hot-tub felt like the concrete coating was coming off, and was like walking on gravel.

My biggest complaint was with housekeeping and maintenance. For a day and a half, I looked at the same litter in the parking area before I picked it up. Why the elevator near our room was shut down for a few hours each day is a mystery. A little bar of soap will only go so far with three people showering each day. It would have been nice to get one for each day of our six day stay. The drinking glasses we used each day for pop and juice, were apparently not to be replaced daily. I had to go to the front desk to get clean cups and soap for bathing. Apparently, the vacuum cleaners are only used for counter-weights on the housekeepers' carts. I never saw one being used the whole week we were there.

If you aren't expecting a Hilton or a Marriot, the Glenstone is an economically priced motel compared with others in the area. I am in the middle of the road as to whether we would stay there again. It wasn't the greatest, but certainly not the worst we've stayed in. If the housekeeping improved, it would convince me to go back.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I had read previous reviews and thought that since it was close to the convention center and the weather was suppose to be bad -- I thought why not give it a chance. When I first walked into the hotel - I thought well this might not be so bad.

The room:
They smelled awful – well especially ours … we were on the first floor and it smelled like urine and musky. We turned the air on the highest and coldest settings – that helped with the smell. The rooms also need to be updated - very out of date. It would have been nicer to have more than 10 channels and I believe 5 of those channels were Local news channels. The beds are very uncomfortable. Overall the room had a scary feel. I was afraid to sleep in the bed – afraid of bedbugs and other critters. The sheets and towels didn’t smell as fresh as other hotel towels that I’ve smelled. Our door handle was messed up – you had to lift the handle up just to open the door – who has ever heard of lifting up on the handle to open the door? Also, the springs must have been broken, because the door wouldn’t close behind us. My sister was on the second floor and her room seemed nicer and cleaner than ours. I didn’t scope out her room too well, but it had a cleaner feel to it.

The Bathroom:
The bathrooms are extremely small – you can’t close the door while standing in front of the sink. You have to basically straddle the toilet just to close the door. Also, the tile on the bathtub walls and the shower curtain both had mold and mildew all over.

The Indoor Pool:
Make sure that you have goggles with you; because there was so much chlorine in the pool it burnt my nieces’ eyes. It looked as if she had been crying for a long time, which she wasn’t.

Overall Review:
The whole hotel needs an update and remodel. Start out by ripping out everything down to the bare minimum – even down to the studs in the walls. An update is much needed and way over due. It was definitely not worth the $90/night that we paid. I heard someone say that there was a Microtel Inn down the street that was around $60/night and much nicer. I hope that this review helps … Please read all reviews and take them into consideration prior to staying here. If you decide to stay – I hope that yours was better than ours.

Also, there are very few outlets in the room. My husband had to pull out the sofa that was in our room to plug my laptop in. There was really no outlets to plug in our phones to charge, except in the bathroom. There needs to be more plug-ins and more lighting ... our room was very dark too. The only reason I'm giving this hotel a 1 star is because it did have free Wi-Fi and had no problems out of the Wi-Fi!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank KYHotelCritic09
Reviewed April 6, 2009

My daughter-in-law and I stayed at this hotel in March 2009 for a women's conference with her church group . I was very impressed with the hotel to say the least. My family stayed at River Terrace last year and was highly disappointed in that hotel. I was apprehensive about staying at Glenstone after last year's experience but I can truly say I was very pleased. The rooms were clean, staff was nice and the breakfast they offered was wonderful. Even the meeting rooms we had were nice. I immediately called my sister-in-law and told her that I had found a new place to stay on our next trip to Gatlinburg. I'm actually staying at Glenstone again in May for a gospel music fest and I'm looking forward to another pleasant experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business