“Needs improvement”

Glenstone Lodge
Ranked #44 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
“Needs improvement”
Reviewed March 30, 2005

The entryway was clean, polished and very attractive. Upon entering, the room was average at best. The heater cover had fallen off and could easily have been repaired but had not been. There were no washcloths and no coffee for the coffee maker. The pool area and hot tub were not clean nor was the hot tub hot. When we returned to the room, we tried to turn on the heat, but the knob didn't work.
We got up the next morning and went walking. When we returned to our room several hours later, the door was ajar. The maid had made the beds and not closed the door! It had been left open for hours! Again, there was no coffee for the coffee maker, dirty glasses had not been removed or replaced with clean ones, and soap had not been replaced. We had 2 washcloths. I unfolded one and it had a handprint of make-up. It had either not been washed at all or washed improperly. Upon reporting all this to the attendant at the front desk, she just shook her head like, "Yes, I know; it happens all the time."
I would not recommend this hotel.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Reviewed March 22, 2005

First of all let me say I chose this hotel for the pool for my two children. When I made my reservation on the internet i reserved a room on the first floor poolside non smoking. After making this reservation I called the hotel to make sure this type of room was available. I was told no problem It was all taken care of. Big mistake!! Let Me tell you what did happen. After traveling for 4 hours (we couldnt check in until 3:00) we decided to see the aquarium and by then we could check in. Well I arrive at the hotel to find about 25 people in line also trying to check in to only be turned away because the rooms were not cleaned yet!!!! It is now almost 4:00 in the afternoon! After standing in line for 25 minutes I am told that they no longer have poolside rooms available on any of the floors, but they will have a room available for my family down the hall on the 3rd floor! And by the way it is a smoking room and I wll have to come back in an hour to an hour and half to get the room because it also was not clean yet. When I asked what happen to the reservation I made the ladies only resonse was that it was by request only!!!! But I didnt get anything I requested! They were also going to close the pool for that evening for a convention! We then left and stayed in Pigeon Forge!!!! I wouldnt recommend this place to anyone! The staff was terrible!!!!!

• Stayed March 2005
19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Gatlinburg hotels

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 1, 2005

We have a family of 5, so needless to say a regular room doesn't cut it for us. We stayed here this past weekend in a suite. It was the size of 4 regular rooms. Since it was the off season, I got a great rate. There is a huge pool area. One pool is rather deep and the other is between 3 and 5 feet. There is also a whirlpool and kiddie pool. There is a large waterfall and even an area that kids can run down "stairs" and jump through the waterfall. Pool was good temperature. There is generic putt-putt with just the holes (nothing fancy), but my kids that is was a nice additon to the pool area. Room was clean, staff friendly and helpful. Restaurant had a buffet that smelled great but we love the pancake house at the corner of this road and the parkway. The hotel was pretty full this weekend (some type of conventions), so there were lots of kids for my boys to play with. It wasn't noisy at all (so I assume the groups were all together on another floor, which is great)! We had ample (TONS AND TONS) of towels/soap/lotion/shampoo, which is really nice for my size family. We visit the area alot and will definately be back to this hotel!

6 Thank SheilaMarieK
Reviewed January 29, 2005

The Glenstone lodge is situated in the pristine beauty of the Smokey Mountains. It's famous enclosed-multi-level pool and top rated restaraunt would have been enough to keep us coming back. But, because Glenstone's management could not contain unruly conventioners and mocked our family's complaints and concerns about rocous behavior in the late nite hours (12am)- we will not return.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 4, 2005

We came to the hotel expecting it to be a bad experience based on the reviews. Unfortunately, it met our expectations. Initial impression was bad when the desk clerk ignored us for almost 5 minutes while talking to other employees about how to lose weight.

First room we were given was labeled as 2 queens. My 6'3" husband lay on the bed and almost had his feet hanging off. Trim on a lamp was falling off and the bedspread was in very bad shape. We called and asked for a king room. She gave us a king room easily.

The king room was much better, although it had its own problems. The size of the bathroom didn't bother me (it was still larger than some European bathrooms). The cleanliness did bother me: grout was black with mildew; hair was on the floor and the door; the soap holder in the shower had not been cleaned from the last visitor; shower got cold each time water was run in other rooms. There was a 6"x6" cobweb hanging from the ceiling.

This hotel doesn't seem to do advertising. My guess is that they feel they have enough business from contracting with conventions from the Convention Center down the street and from timeshares, the reason we were there. This gives them no incentive to renovate or improve the property.

This was not the worst we've used (we reserve a rating of 1 for those), but it was close enough.

• Stayed January 2005
11 Thank catherp
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed December 19, 2004

King-sized Non-smoking rooms are on a first-come first-serve basis! Something they fail to tell you when they make your reservation and take the first nights deposit. When I arrived to check-in the clerk danced around the king room and the non-smoking request. The first room that they STUCK me in had 2 double beds and smelled like a bar. After returning to the front desk is when I was informed that non-smoking rooms were a special request and there was a 2 night minimum stay already charged to my credit card. We had to stay in a queen handicapped room to get non-smoking. I would think if they charge your card they should be required to hold the room you requested. Try the BEST Western in Pigeon Forge instead, inside pool, breakfast, clean room at 1/3 the cost!!! When checking out I kindly offered the manager the advice to tell customers about the first come basis on room and she seemed offended and I didn't even demand a refund of any sort. What you read about this place on this website is true. It's a long walk to main street!!!!

11 Thank Travelclan39044