“AWESOME!”

Ranked #43 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Chapel Hill, Tennessee
“AWESOME!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have booked this hotel in the past for a state convention and both times we have all been more than pleased! The service is First Class as well as the food in the restaurant! The meeting rooms are comfortable, the sound system is great and they are easy to find. We used the outside pavillion for a cook out and loved it! I highly recommend this property!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Charla D
GlenstoneGM, General Manager at Glenstone Lodge, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for your great review of the Glenstone Lodge. It was also "awesome". We are so happy to hear that you and your group enjoyed your stay and we hope to be of service to you again the next time you are planning to visit Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains.
Thank you and have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed November 4, 2012

With two adults and 4 kids, it was nice to get a Groupon and be able to get two adjoining rooms for a very reasonable price. We had all crammed into one room at the Hampton Inn in Asheville the previous night and paid over $200 for the privilege (but that is another review).

This is an older hotel. Just looking at it you can tell. They have done a pretty good job of trying to keep it updated.

I can say for sure that that our rooms appeared to be clean. I have read previous reviews complaining of mold. We didn't see any of that. The staff at the front desk were friendly. Our four kids (identical quadruplets) LOVED the pool.

I would say for what we payed with the Groupon, we got a really good deal. The kids want to go back next year. Not sure that the wife is so excited about that.

Based on previous reviews, I would say that this hotel is a "hit or miss". We got a "hit". If you are not a picky person, this is the hotel for you.

Good luck!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Floundahead
GlenstoneGM, General Manager at Glenstone Lodge, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for taking time to review the Glenstone Lodge. We appreciate your comments and have shared them with our staff. We hear it all the time, the kids love our pool. We are glad we were a "hit" with you and your kids. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Gatlinburg. Thank you again.
Clemson, South Carolina
Reviewed November 4, 2012

10/22 - 10/24 Nasty place. Floors were so filthy I wouldn't take off my shoes. Mold in bathroom. Would have slept better on floor (except it was so nasty) as beds were hard as rocks. Supposed mountain view was laughable - I have a better view out my bedroom window of the trees in my backyard. Indoor pool was dark green. Hot tub was inexcessible to seniors as you would have had to step 2 feet to get in and out of tub if it also hadn't been nasty. TV was a joke. What channels you did get were fuzzy. Wanted to watch presidential debate and ended up going out to a bar to watch it.

Yes they are undergoing renovation but I still wouldn't stay there. As someone else mentioned construction and noise started at 7 am. Staff wasn't very friendly.

Save your money and go somewhere else.

1 Thank Helen K
We sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. We apologize that the mattress was not to your liking. We are improving our TV channel line up in the next couple of months and will offer a greater variety. Our pool is grey on the bottom, not green. We were not made aware of the demolition next door, so we were also surprised by it. Again, we regret your disappointment.

Travelers are raving about these Gatlinburg hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have read some of the reviews here about this property and I can understand both sides, But, our expectations were correctly set before arriving. We also purchased four nights through Groupon so it was very affordable. Our primary target was the Great Smoky Mountain National Park which is just a few miles away. We were not disappointed. We hiked about 22 miles and auto toured about 120 miles during the four days. We did do a few of the tourist things but not many. Let talk about the Glenstone Lodge.

Pros:
1. Plenty of parking
2. Very friendly, attentive staff
3. The room was as advertised and spotlessly clean
4. The room was a good size and the beds was comfortable
5. The room was well appointed and everything worked
6. They have a cool pool
7. Very nice, reasonably priced breakfast every morning
8. Close enough to downtown Gatlinburg to walk

Cons:
1. The property is dated and thread worn
2. Almost no electrical outlets in the room (take a power strip)
3. Had to go to another floor to find a working ice machine
4. No Lunch/Dinner service in the Restaurant (many, many places nearby)

I think the owners know they have a diamond in the rough. As we were leaving, we noted work being done in some rooms and the carpet was being replaced in the lobby area. If they spend some money and do it correctly this will be a fantastic place to stay.

A couple of general items beyond the hotels control: the main tourist area is about a half a mile walk and there is a slight grade. A moderate walk. There is a free trolley that runs by the hotel and through the tourist area if you don't want to walk. Next, traffic is HORRIBLE. Saturday afternoon it took us about one and a half hours to go from the Elkmont area of the park to the hotel (about twelve miles). The weekdays are better. Be sure to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway, visit Clingmans Dome and Cades Cove. Start at the Visitor's Center Just inside the park. Talk to a Ranger just inside the doors. They will help you plan out your visit.

Overall, we will stay here again. We will expect some progress to be made on upgrades. But, this place is an exceptional value now and I expect it to continue to be in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your comments and agree that our location is close to all that Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park have to offer. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and loved the "cool pool". Our breakfast buffet is delicious and very reasonably priced. We look forward to seeing you again during your next visit to Gatlinburg.
McCormick, South Carolina
Reviewed November 1, 2012

10-28 to 10-31-2012. First night an air soft pellet was found between the bottom sheet and mattress cover, black fibrous something on the bottom sheet - reported to front desk and it was taken care of promptly. Mountain view was a hill covered with construction equipment and workers that started promptly every a.m. at 7. Handicapped access was a wooden ramp across the door, a huge bathroom door that was very difficult to open or close, a nice big walk in shower after bugs were washed down the drain. No access to the pool except by walking around the entire complex on the outside. I was informed of this by a nasty red haired woman at the front desk. The feeling I got was that people that stayed in outside rooms were not entitled to the same amenities as those who stayed in interior rooms.No hair dryer, one coffee cup for two people. No wi-fi in the room, only in the lobby. We will not go back to that "Lodge" again.

1 Thank Carol G
We sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. We apologize that our interior handicap rooms were not available when you arrived as they were already occupied. We have shared your comments with department heads and staff. Thank you for your review.
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed here Oct 26 and 27, 2012, using A GROUPON. The rooms were clean, but very, very dated. There was no refrigerator, no microwave. The tv had around 16 channels total. There were only 3 electrical outlets in the room. My wife and I both wear CPAP machines, so we had to unplug lamps. Our window view consisted of a black tar roof (we were on the 3rd floor), looking at the side of the bubble dome that I assume covered the pool. Breakfast is not included. They have a dining room with the usual pan foods...biscuits, scrambled eggs and gravy, cereals, etc. and a cook that will make you an omellette to order. But the cost is $9 per person. When we checked out, the very courteous desk clerk thanked us for staying, and told us we were all set. The next day, however, I found a $19 charge on my debit card. When I called, I was told that was for tax, and I should read the FINE PRINT on my GROUPON. All in all, there are too many choices and places to stay in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge for a hotel of this quality. We will not stay here again.

1 Thank jeff m
Thank you for you review. We regret that we did not meet your expectations. We are happy to know that your room was very clean. We are currently working towards having an extensive channel lineup in 2013. Approximately half of our rooms have fridges and a microwave is available for use at the front desk. Our breakfast buffet is $8.95 per person and includes a variety of breakfast foods, a drink, plus one small juice. The cost is comparable to any sit down restaurant in town. With regard to the tax, it is not included when you purchase the Groupon as it must be paid to the state and city in which it is used, and therefore, we must collect it at the hotel. We hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you in the future.
Sarasota
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I was a bit weary from a few negative reviews, but after my stay here recently I received nothing less than impeccable service and the facilities were quite nice. I reserved a room through Booking.com but I recommend just dealing with the hotel directly. The king room I was originally given was quite convenient to the wonderful indoor pools but since my fiancee and I were there to enjoy the National park, (which the property borders) we asked to be moved to a more private setting and this request was met with enthusiasm. Kari, Janie, and Pierre worked together to help make this the most memorable visit to the Smokies yet, and I have visited every fall for years. The Roaring Fork motor nature trail is about a mile up the hill, away from the bustle of Gatlinburg, and offers some of the most spectacular mountain sunset vistas one could ask for. Make sure when visiting to experience this, I felt like I stumbled onto a local secret. The rooms were very clean, my room had a fridge. The pool-side rooms were perfect for families with children. The breakfast buffet was very good, with an egg and waffle station and staffed with very friendly chefs and servers. Thank you Glenstone, we will return next fall.

3 Thank Stuntmanmik E
We are so appreciative that you took time to review the Glenstone Lodge. We are located close to all that the Great Smoky Mountains National Park has to offer. The historic nature trail, just up the road from the hotel, is a wonderful and beautiful drive and well worth a visit. We are so happy that our staff helped make this your best visit ever and that we could be of service to you. Please call on us again on your next trip to the Great Smoky Mountains and Gatlinburg.