“Nasty and outdated”

Ranked #45 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nasty and outdated”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Okay I didn't expect much for a $50 a night room. but Geee this place need updating. I felt like I walked into a room/hotel from the 70's. The elevator is sloooow and noisy. I would have taken the steps but they only go up to the first floor. The musty carpet smell throughout. I only took a risk on this hotel because of the pool reviews, but the waterfall does not work as shown in the picture on their site. The carpet around the pool is mildewed. My daughter found a hair ball the size of a tennis ball in the pool. My room even have mildew in the corners. I decided to pay a little more for their mtn view..NOT I had to look at the roof top and airconditioning unit leak down in my window. The only plus to this property is the staff and the breakfast buffet. However you can get breakfast at every restaraunt within walking distance. The breakfast should be included with the price. If you are on a tight budget I guess this will do just to sleep for a night and hot shower. Remember no refrigerator, microwave, or cream and sugar for your coffee in the room. My ice bucket even leaked. My mattress flopped up when I sat down on the edge of the bed. My mattress felt awful. I was scared to lay my head on the pillows because of the stains. I only had 1 channel to watch what happened to the rest of channels...WOW. This by far is the worst experience in a hotel. If I had to go to Gatlinburg, I would stay in Pigeon Forge which is minutes away they seem to have nicer/newer hotels.

Room Tip: I did not go with the pool view because of previous reviewers saying it's noisy. Don't waist...
1 Thank janechild
GlenstoneGM, General Manager at Glenstone Lodge, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We regret that we did not meet your expectations. Our stairs actually go up to the 5th floor (top floor). Our waterfall comes on every day although not all day. Our breakfast buffet offers many items to suit everyone's taste, all at a very reasonable price, comparable to any sit down restaurant in town, and it is conveniently located right here in the lobby. We offer half of our rooms with a fridge and there are microwave stations available in the public areas. I apologize if the housekeeper missed replacing your creamer and sugar packet, and that she did not notice the ice bucket (a call to the front desk can take care of those items). We offer the four major networks, several sports channels, a cartoon channel and several news channels as well, among others. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Toyohashi, Japan
Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

I stay here everytime I come to Gatlinburg because they have a cool pool. Other than that it's pretty average. No free continental breakfast or free wi-fi are disappointments, but it ain't no thang. No one cleaned the vent in the air conditioner, which my hotel cleaning family member pointed out.

• Stayed July 2012
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

It never ceases to amaze, what people expect out of a hotel in Gatlinburg!! I have stayed in some of the finer hotels in this country and some pretty rundown ones too. I have been visiting this area since my early teens and have always stayed in Pigeon Forge, but decided to stay in Gatlinburg this time. What do you really expect out of a hotel? Figure that out and the price will be directly proportionate. Sometimes, value hotels don't have all the amenities but exist to serve a simpler purpose. I have never given a scathingly negative review...........and I won't start now. I brought my daughter to Tennessee for a rafting weekend, and I knew we were really only planning on sleeping in the room.....We arrived and the place was packed, due to a large family reunion and a young girls pageant. Check in took a few minutes, and the ladies at the desk maintained their composure in what appeared to be a stressful situation. We got to our room and I was pleasantly surprised. The room, room 366, was clean, good and cold, the bathtub appeared to be brand new and everything worked. No bugs, no musty smell.Yes, the tv channels are limited but that didn't bother us. We did not try the breakfast buffet as we prefer to eat at the Pancake Pantry. The pools, both inside and out, are a definite huge plus. I will say this to all of you fat, lazy, whiny complainers out there.....If you come to Gatlinburg to stay in your room and watch tv, expect the hotel to cater to your every whim, and then write poor reviews on a solid, older hotel in a quiet area off the main drag....... STAY HOME and SHUT UP!! All hotels have issues, especially ones of this age, but on this wkd, this hotel was exactly what I needed it to be, clean, cold and a great value. I will definitely stay here on any return trip!!

• Stayed July 2012
6 Thank CaseyMays
GlenstoneGM, General Manager at Glenstone Lodge, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Your comments are appreciated by our staff and management who all work very hard. We are glad to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with your daughter. We do our very best to provide rooms that are "clean, cold and a great value". We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Again, Thank You for your review.
Greensburg, Kentucky
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years. We stayed July 14-18, 2012. We hadn't visited Gatlinburg and this hotel for 2 yrs. But always enjoyed this hotel. I made reservations and then seen the reviews, after I made them on here from a guest that had been there a week before us and I have to say I was worried on the way there. We arrived we were greeted as usual with nice helpful staff. Ask for a fridge and microwave it was in our room by the time we got up to it. Nice clean rooms, maids were nice. So I am sorry for the person on here who had the bad experience, Maybe they were having a bad day. But stop and think before you post your bad day and try to ruin a great hotel, wonderful, helpful staff! We always enjoyed this hotel before and it DID NOT disappoint this time! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dbagby74
Thank you very much for your comments about Glenstone Lodge. We are very happy to know that you are a repeat guest and that we can expect to see you again in the future. Yes, we hear about our amazing pool almost every day. Guests who were here as teenagers are now bringing their children to swim in our pool because they loved it then and their kids love it now.
Our staff does their best to accommodate guests' needs and requests (whenever possible).
Thank you so much and again, we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Chapel Hill NC
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Had a great stay at Glenstone Lodge. Very clean rooms and nice location with friendly housekeeping staff. This is an average hotel that suits average needs of travelers, tourists and families. Room did have a small dorm sized refrigerator which was nice. Microwave is down the corridor next to drink machine. We did not eat breakfast here, however it did look good! We opted for the Log Cabin Pancake House instead(two mornings in a row!) Only problem I had was the type of room I got. I booked months ago and requested a king room on the exterior of the hotel. Apparently that request did not go through, so i got a double room instead. It was ok with me though, as long as I still got an exterior room. If you don't get an exterior room you will deal with noise from the indoor pool until late hours of the night. I learned this from other reviews I read before before booking.

Room Tip: As stated before, choose an exterior room. You will not regret it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bren611
Thank you for your review of the Glenstone Lodge. Our friendly housekeepers work diligently to offer our guests very clean rooms. Yes, approx half of our rooms have a fridge in the room, with a microwave station nearby. Our breakfast buffet is definitely worth a try the next you stay with us as our chef makes awesome omelettes, along with many other breakfast items to suit almost anyone's taste. Our exterior rooms have views of the nearby mountain and stream as well as our outdoor pool and Riverdeck Pavilion. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Radcliff, Kentucky
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for a short get-away trip and we were pleased with the accommodations. The room we stayed in was a bit small, and it was a smoking room so it smelled of smoke (mistake with the booking) but overall the room was clean and well kept. The service was friendly. The pools are outstanding with the waterfalls and decor. The hotel is convenient with trolley stops right outside. We had the breakfast buffet and it was good for the price. I will probably stay here again, just not in a smoking room.

Room Tip: Specify if you smoke or not. I would not suggest a poolside room because it was pretty humid in the...
2 Thank Storeylady
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you found our rooms to be very clean and well kept. We regret that you were assigned to a smoking room but hope that you will give us the opportunity to be of service again in the future (in a non smoking room). The breakfast buffet has many options to choose from including, eggs made to order, bacon, sausage, seasonal fruit, biscuits and gravy, waffles, and many other choices and it is very well priced. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Covington, Georgia
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We used to stay here every year up until I was 12 and loved it. It's been 23 years now and I brought my family back for a weekend stay. The rates are still affordable, the indoor pool is exactly as I remember it, and although the decor remains the same, the room was clean and accommodating. Check in clerk was very friendly, had a problem with the room card key and she promptly reprogrammed and apologized. The Patio restaurant breakfast is still fantastic - excellent omelettes as I remember from my childhood! While the interior may be dated and maybe lacking in some of the newer conveniences of more recently built hotels, I will definitely be back with my family. The location is very convenient to town and we walked everywhere. Look forward to our next stay!

1 Thank angieb786
Welcome back, we missed you. Yes, we hear it all the time, you were here as a kid and now you have brought your children to experience our two level pool and waterfall. We are a family friendly as well as an affordable Gatlinburg option. We keep our rooms very clean and do our best to meet our guests' needs. Our breakfast is fantastic and at a very reasonable price. We look forward to your return visit (don't wait another 23 years!)