Review Highlights
Worth the drive!

We were staying in Colorado Springs for a few days and debated whether to make the 3 hour drive... read more

Reviewed yesterday
716familytravelers
via mobile
Beautiful!!!

This is a beautiful national park! We woke up super early and hiked to High Dune. It was a pretty... read more

Reviewed yesterday
lkeavney
Morris, Illinois
via mobile

All reviews visitor center medano creek rent boards sand board gets hot sahara desert sangre de cristo mountains wear shoes shallow river mountain sports snow capped mountains bring plenty of water natural wonder southern colorado mountain range tennis shoes picnic area
Selected filters
Reviewed April 14, 2019

Colorado sand dunes is beautiful and unique. Definitely a must see in Colorado! You see tall mountains and sand dune next to each other only in Colorado...I was amazed by how pretty it was and learning how it formed. Climbing sand dues is fun, you walk up the dunes but you're not moving lol I saw some people having fun sliding down on the sands and it looked fun but I didn't try it.

Reviewed April 13, 2019

So cool and unique. Climbing the dunes is no joke, but very worthwhile. You think you are headed in an easier direction and you land up with a huge abyss in front of you. Thankfully we went early in the morning so the cool temperatures helped tremendously. Prepare to have sand in everything...for days.

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed April 8, 2019

I spent the weekend at the Great Sand Dunes and it was my first time here, and I had so much fun! I highly recommend hiking to the top of Star Dune. You get a view of the whole dune field, which is pretty scenic. I got to the top around noon, but I recommend getting to the top either early in the morning or later in the afternoon because that is was the sun will cast shadows on the dunes and you will get some pretty amazing pictures. I also walked around the dune field and Medano Creek, which was starting to flow. I also hiked to the Ghost Forest by the Escape Dunes. The trails were hard to follow, despite trying to follow the previous hiker's footprints, but seeing the dead and gnarly trees that had bee swallowed by the escape dunes was pretty cool. This park is a great place to go stargazing. I HIGHLY recommend coming here when there is supposed to me no moon and a clear night, because you can see the Milky Way. I'm no expert stargazer, but I went into the park at about 5:00 a.m. Sunday morning and you could see the bright galactic center of the Milky Way. I also saw 3 shooting stars. Yah it was rough getting up that early on a vacation, but the NPS website was 100% right when they said half the park is after dark!

5  Thank ambowen720
Reviewed April 7, 2019

A very unique stop - definitely unexpected in Colorado! The Visitor Centre very helpful. Even in March, the sand was starting to get hot. We underestimated how strenuous the hike to the first dunes would be - walking in sand, uphill, at 7,000' more elevation than we are used too - was definitely a workout. Bring lots of water, energy snack, hat, sunscreen (and a camera!!)

Reviewed April 3, 2019 via mobile

These dunes are huge. You can hike if you wish. The snow on the dunes on April 1st was quite beautiful. As we drive into the park we saw herds of elk, deer and antelope and also some sandhill cranes just a little ways south of there.

1  Thank dixiepeach