“The only place to eat!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mosca
Great sand dunes oasis
Columbus, Ohio
“The only place to eat!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I rate only the restaurant and store. Along with GSD Lodge (see separate review), this is only place near Great Sand Dunes National Park for food and gas. My first night I had a salad with chicken and it was ok; price reflects location. Second night I had cheeseburger and fries; both ok and fair price. I also bought some food in store plus shot glasses that the park store did not carry. Service was fine. I did not buy gas, as I had enough to get to Ft. Garland for better prices. So make sure you have full tank coming to park. I did see cabins for rent but without bathrooms. Be thankful this place exists; otherwise it would a long drive to get food.

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Tent camped at for two nights at the Great Sand Dunes Oasis. Tons of sites available and very few other campers. The National Park camp sites were far more crowded than here, and the Oasis was still very close to the park. The sites are pretty rocky and there were many piñon tress for shade and to block the wind. Tiny flies were a bit of a problem, but this is no fault of the property owners, just a part of nature. My mother stayed in Duplex #2. It was clean and comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Definitely give this place a chance for your sand dunes adventure.

• Stayed June 2013
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I wish I didn't have to put stars and could just state my experience. I know part of the reason I want to give no stars is because of the situation but let me explain.

Drove in when it was snowing hard at 8pm. Nobody was at the store and there were signs everywhere that said "no trespassing without a permit" "No this" "no that." (pet peeve where there are "no" signs everywhere grrr). We wanted to get a permit but nobody was around to give us one. We would have rather stayed in the campground in the park but it was so dark and snowing so hard we just stopped at this place. There were no signs explaining what to do after hours. We went up to the lodge and a very nice lady told us they open at 8am. So we pulled into one of the snowy spots and parked and decided to pay in the morning. There was only one other camper (although RV).

The restroom facilities are great. The water tastes disguuusting! When I washed out my toothpaste I thought something was wrong at first! But the restrooms were warm, well stocked, and clean!

We set up our tent and slept until 6am. Then we packed up all of our stuff and went into the park for a few hours. Upon exiting we stopped to pay for the site. Our little guidebook said the campsite was $12/night.

We told the lady we wanted to pay (to which she said "You're brave for camping out last night!") and charged us $25!!! I couldn't believe it! I'm not a cheap person, but we basically payed $25 for using the restroom twice. We could have hotwired a hotel in town and payed $25. We were there during off-season so we felt really ripped off. We didn't give the lady any grief but we did double check the pricing. Apparently it's $25 for the first 2 people. Very disappointed...shouldn't have stopped.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Parker, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stopped at the Oasis Restaurant last week after a long day at the Great Sand Dunes NP. The food was good, as was the brownie topped with ice cream. We really wanted to try the pie based on reviews on Trip Advisor, but they were out. :(

After dinner it was about 7pm, getting dark, and we were tired, so we enquired about lodging for the night based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed at the Oasis Duplex #1. The lady at the desk was very polite and helpful. She took the time to explain that the duplex was 1 mile south of the campground, beside the road and was isolated and quiet. She said some people didn't like that and just wanted us to be aware. That sounded perfect to us so we took it. We drove down to the Duplex and easily found it, even though it was getting dark already. We were able to catch a great view of the dunes with the mountains behind them as the sunlight faded below the horizon.

The room had two queen beds, a small flat screen TV with satellite service, and a small table with two chairs. Everything was clean. There was a little sand in the carpet here and there. Internet is not provided, but I had good Verizon 3g service on my iPad. A phone is not provided, but there is Verizon 3g and our Sprint phones had good extended 2g service. There is a microwave and small fridge. The water was hot; the shower head is a water saver.

We really enjoyed the isolated location. It was very quiet, which allowed a good sleep. Our 7yo son enjoyed playing in the large sun room. We enjoyed not having to tell him to play quieter since there was no one else around. There is a nice view of the sand dunes from the room.

The next morning we enjoyed a breakfast at the Oasis restaurant again. I had scrambled eggs, bacon, and hash browns. My wife had an omelet with avocado. My son had pancakes. Our waitress was very upbeat and fun.

Room Tip: I would choose the #1 duplex over the #2 if traveling with kids because of the large sun room where...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Denton, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

The location of this RV park is outstanding! That's about the only good thing I have to say about it.

Restaurant and office close at 5:00. No WiFi, no cell phone, no pay phone. Very little shade. Bathroom/showers not well maintained, to the point where most of the light bulbs were burned out.

Warnings about not cooking or eating outside due to problem bears spooked me a bit, so after microwaving a fairly fragrant dinner outside my pop-up camper, I moved my microwave to a picnic table on an empty site and put my plastic trash bag in the fire pit there, intending to take it down to the trash bin in the morning. The next morning, my microwave was fine but some animal had carried off the trash bag.

Room Tip: All of the RV sites have great views of the dunes.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We wanted to go tent camping in early October for our anniversary but we knew that it got into the 20s at night and that bears can be especially mischievous before hibernation (not that this campground has a record of that...but I was paranoid). So we went with a cabin. And it was PERFECT. We had an authentic but still comfortable camping experience. Yes, there was only one outlet in the cabin which was usually being used for the small space heater, both dryers were out of order, and it was a short hike to the bathrooms, which weren't exactly new or squeeky clean. But it's CAMPING ;) We found it all perfect. If you do happen to forget little things or need to fill up on gas, the gift shop comes in handy (though pricey...still can't believe I paid $12 for some sunscreen). The diner is clean and has great tasting food for reasonable prices with of course gorgeous views. Despite what Google may tell you, it is all situated a couple minutes outside of the National Park, which is absolutely wonderful (and open 24 hours!). Also, the staff are friendly and the rates are affordable!

When I told my friends and family we were going to Colorado for vacation they were all "oh. random. have fun", but after seeing the pictures and hearing about the time we had at the Great Sand Dunes they're all dying to go!! Thank you Great Sand Dunes Oasis for a trip we will truly never forget!

Room Tip: Cabin 3 & 4 have porch lights but Cabin 1 & 2 do not.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here while visiting Great Sand Dunes National Park. It's right outside the entrance to the park. The views of the dunes in the morning are stunning! The campground itself isn't bad, but it isn't great. Every site has a tree, a picnic table, a fire ring, and a barbeque. There's a building with laundry and restrooms. We always use our own restroom. We didn't use the laundry because only one of the two dryers was working. We had voltage problems here. If we wanted to use the microwave, we had to turn off the space heaters. Even then it was in the red zone on our volt meter. We stayed here because the campground in the park doesn't have electric hook-ups and we stayed for a week. We would stay here again, as there are no other campgrounds, and this one is so close and has such great views.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Art-Roxanne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mosca
Comfort Inn & Suites
Days Inn Alamosa
Days Inn Alamosa
#7 of 13 in Alamosa
BEST WESTERN Alamosa Inn

Been to Great sand dunes oasis? Share your experiences!