“A vacation of a lifetime, each and every time!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Moose Head Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moose
Moose Head Ranch
Gastonia, NC
“A vacation of a lifetime, each and every time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Twenty years ago I had the privilege of serving on the crew at Moose Head Ranch as the laundry girl. I spent five hours a day in the laundry room and three hours in the evening in the kitchen. Six days a week for three months. And it was the BEST three months of my life! I knew as I pulled out of the gates on my last day at the ranch that I would return with my family one day.

Luckily, my husband was thrilled to spend our first and second anniversaries at the ranch. And then when our daughter was old enough to ride horses, we took her to Moose Head with us. Our family has just returned from our fourth trip to the ranch and we are already on the calendar for next year. It is never a question of, "Are we going back next year?" It is more like, "How can we plan our summer around a week at Moose Head?" And our now 11 year old is the ring leader in planning our next trip. She will tell you her week at Moose Head every summer is the best week of her life. High praise from a tween!

So what makes Moose Head so wonderful? Where do I begin? Louise, Kit, Eddie and the Crew for starters. The great horses who easily handle city folk who want to be cowboys and cowgirls a few days a year. The delicious food that pleases even the most picky of eaters. Beautiful cabins that you make your own during your stay. Fellow guests that become like family within a short amount of time. And a stunning view at each and every turn.

Still to this day I get a bit melancholy when we pull out of the gates to head to the airport and our return flight home. But just as it was that August day 20 years ago, I know we will be back.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed at Moose Head for 5 nights with my husband, 10 and 12 year old girls. Can't say enough wonderful things about it. This review could be 5 paragraphs, but I'll do my best to summarize....

It's small - only 40 guests and a time - and focused on the family without being overbearing.

The food was fantastic - not a chaffing dish in site - everything was made to order and cooked to perfection - we are total foodies and this exceeded our expectations.

Our cabin was clean, cozy and stocked with everything we needed.

The personal attention given to us by the wranglers, cabin girls and the owners was first class, better than many 4 star resorts we've stayed at.

The setting was gorgeous and the spirit of the place is something that our family will carry with us for years to come.

It's pricey, but worth every cent as there is not a corner cut to make sure that everyone is enjoying themselves...if you can get a reservation during their very short season go go go!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cut Throat 2 bedroom cabin. It was fantastic - definitely request it!
1 Thank PhillyAmy70
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

This year was our 5th visit to Moose Head Ranch since 1996, and each year has been uniquely special. Great riding experience, even for novices and baby boomers... horses owned and cared for at the ranch are carefully matched to each rider. Rides are just you and the wrangler. The meals are gourmet, the views of the Tetons are just for you and the hospitality is unmatched anywhere, any price. The wranglers and cabin girls are college kids with superb manners and wit. Louise and Kit Davenport make this the best of the West, hands down. 30 minutes drive from Jackson, 45 minutes from Yellowstone gives lots of time to see bison, moose, elk, and pronghorns waiting to be seen & photographed.

Room Tip: Every cabin is unique, beautifully appointed with Grand Teton views, and selected to match the famil...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Our recent family trip to Moose Head Ranch was outstanding. The owners and staff all treat you as if you are a member of their family and work hard to make your trip the best it can be. That family atmosphere is set in an amazing natural setting. The views of the Tetons from the property and lodge are unbelievable. The chance to explore the surrounding trails with your family's own person guide, not once, but twice a day was so enjoyable. The experience is so tailored to the individual that you are assigned the same horse for your entire stay. Can't say enough about how every member of my family enjoyed it. The Moose Head Ranch is a true treasure.

1 Thank Alec C
atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

My family has been visiting Moose Head for over 40 years. I cant count the times we've been. Now we take our children there and it has become a home away from home for them as well. It is a great time to unplug and reconnect. We ride horses together, eat meals together and build strong memories to last a lifetime. Moose Head is set in one of the prettiest parts of the country and there are unlimited things to do, see and explore. I highly recommend treating yourself and your family to such a unique and fulfilling experience.

1 Thank mkh5
Gastonia, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

At Moose Head, you can define your ranch experience with no limitations. My wife and daughter like to ride horses, I like to fly fish, and her mother likes to curl up with a good book while viewing the Great Tetons. This is the one vacation that everyone in our family agrees on. We love the staff, the service, the food, and the amenities. There are truly no negatives here. The value for Moose Head ranch is worth every penny.

Room Tip: Call the ranch to get a detailed description of each cabin.
Granger, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

The magnificent scenery, the kindness and caring for you as an individual makes Moose Head Ranch the only special gathering place for our family. My husband and I are so impressed by the quality of the ranch staff . If you have children or grandchildren the younger staff are
excellent examples and make special efforts to ensure a fun time for them.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moose
Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch
Jackson Lake Lodge
Jackson Lake Lodge
#2 of 13 in Grand Teton National Park
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,784 reviews

Been to Moose Head Ranch? Share your experiences!