“Always a great experience!”

Best Western Plus Superior Inn
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Grand Marais
Reviewed March 2, 2012

The fact that our group has stayed here for a weekend gathering for the past 6 years speaks for itself. The hotel has everything we need (e.g., nice rooms to Wi-Fi) and very friendly/helpful staff. There is also a very good breakfast with make your own pancakes. It is also located on Lake Superior, so get a room with a lake view! In addition, it's a good location for exploring and recreating along the North Shore and Gunflint. We'll be back next year!

4  Thank garyh17

Reviewed February 29, 2012

Two friends and I travelled to Grand Marais for some snow shoeing last weekend. We booked an overnight at the Best Western Superior Inn online and we got a great room with two beds, two flat screen tvs., a fridge, microwave and small kitchen sink. We also had a balcony overlooking Lake Superior. We each wanted our own bed and there was a very comfortable sofa bed in the sitting area.
Unfortuately there wasn't a pool but we did enjoy some time in the huge hot tub down the hall after a day of snow shoeing.
A breakfast was included and it was very good. The hotel is right in the town so you can walk to restaurants, grocery stores, etc. The room was clean and we're already planning our next stay there.
FYI snow shoeing was fantastic at Oberg Mountain, located about 20 miles south of Grand Marais. Ask at the front desk for directions. Super workout and unbelievable scenic views of Lake Superior and surrounding areas.

Room Tip: Room 232 in the Beargrease section was huge and big enough for six people. It's a corner room
4  Thank barkinglot
Reviewed February 27, 2012

You couldn't ask for a better place to stay in Grand Marais. The rooms are super clean and very spacious. The staff is friendly and helpful! The price is worth the room quality and cleanliness!

Room Tip: We booked last minute and got a great internet price. Prior to that the rooms were a little spendy...
3  Thank Carrie W
Reviewed January 29, 2012

My wife and I just got back from our annual winter escape to Grand Marais. We've stayed at the Best Western a few times, but I thought I should finally write a review. We've always found this to be a very welcoming property. Rooms are clean and well kept, the continental breakfast is quite nice(although the summer addition of the Worlds Best Donuts is even better) and the location is great for convenient exploration of the town. After multiple stays at the best western, I can definitely recommend it as a great base camp for a stay in GM. Staff are friendly and helpful, the views of the lake are great, the beach out front offers great rock picking, and the HUGE hot tub is a great place to retreat after a day of skiing along the Gunflint Trail!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank naturguy
Reviewed January 24, 2012

The updated decor, bedding and bath in the basic double room put this Best Western on par with a Hampton Inn, including a complimentary hot breakfast. We opted for a partial view room rather than paying more for a room with a view, as it was only for one night and we were not going to be in the room much, and it was literally a ground-level floor with the windows looking out on the ground level toward the lake and the floor of the room below ground level. The room was very spacious for a family of 4, comfortable, quiet and clean. Great pillows and bedding, nice flat screen tv in the room, and the wet bar area was convenient with coffeemaker, microwave, sink, and mini fridge. Appreciate their "green" touches with anti-microbial remote for the t.v., no plastic bottles for toiletries (using a unique paper container for shampoo, etc. that I had not seen before).

The hotel does not have a pool but has a large whirlpool which is great for relaxing after a day of winter outdoor activity.

The breakfast room is extremely small, but breakfast was well-stocked and staff very friendly. We ended up taking our breakfasts back to the room to eat as there was nowhere to sit.

Convenient location, walkable to many different dining options and shops. Short walk to the lovely walk along Artist's Point. Convenient access to the Gunflint Trail, and only a 10-minute drive to the Pincushion XC ski trails if you don't want to go further up the trail. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Partial view is more like no view, so if seeing Lake Superior is important to you, reserve a lake vi...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MNnortherner
Reviewed January 18, 2012

This Best Western Superior Inn has nice accommodations and setting on the shore of Lake Superior. It is also nice to have it located near eating establishments and shopping in the quaint little town of Grand Marais.

Our room, a king suite with Jacuzzi and fireplace, was beautiful, but the layout was a bit strange. There were two comfortable chairs in the room, but they were located on the same wall as the TV, so they couldn’t be used for TV viewing. I’m sure that was a space issue as the TV and chairs are in a small 6 x 6 hallway that leads to the patio door and deck. That was the only downfall to the room (albeit a bit major), as everything else including the fireplace, bathroom furnishings, and large screen TV over the fireplace were quite nice.

As mentioned in other reviews, there are no amenities such as pool or fitness room. The office area is in the hallway, and the breakfast area is very small. However, they do provide trays to bring your food back to your room. Contrary to other reviews here, however, I wouldn’t say that the food, nor the pancakes, were anything beyond average hotel fare for continental breakfast. All of this combined, does make the price seem relatively high.

However, this was our second visit to the Superior Shores Best Western, and something so horrible happened, we will never return. When I called to book a room, the woman (Sue) became immediately irritated when I started asking questions on the types of rooms that were available. She made me feel so badly, I felt a need to apologize to her for asking so many questions (although I had only been on the phone with her for less than a minute at this point). When my husband heard me apologizing, he quickly grabbed my phone and put it on speaker.

We were sitting in a nearby restaurant to the hotel, and several patrons then heard and were also horrified by the resulting conversation. Sue began to laugh AT me…loud and boisterously. At first, she just managed to make me feel stupid, until I realized a need to stand up for myself. To be honest, I probably wouldn’t have had the nerve to do that if the patrons at surrounding tables weren’t so horrified. They gave me the courage. So I bucked up and very politely asked her to please not laugh at me and just help me determine a room for our stay. Immediately after that, her tone became one of intense anger. I asked her about a King Suite I had seen on the internet with a Jacuzzi. She said ALL the Jacuzzi rooms were booked. So then I mentioned that there was a King Suite on the internet with a fireplace, she said, “I do not know what you are talking about. We do not have anything like that.”

So, in defeat, I booked a room I didn’t want because we had decided it was too late to return to the BlueFin in Lutsen. When we arrived at the hotel, my husband, without letting the check in lady know who we were (a very helpful young woman with strawberry blonde, curly hair), asked if there were any King Jacuzzi suites with fireplaces available. She said indeed there were…and asked which we would prefer...one on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd floor.

So, when I might have given this hotel an entirely different rating, I was the victim of such terrible treatment, I can only bring myself to give it a 1. I sincerely hope no one else ever again has to be made to feel as terrible as I was.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank 50onthego
Superior_Inn_Mgmt, Owner at Best Western Plus Superior Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We appreciate your previous business and were sorry to learn your recent experience wasn’t more positive. Please accept our apologies for any frustrations you experienced while placing your reservation. It’s possible that having a cell phone on speakerphone, with restaurant background noise during your call, could have contributed to poor reception and consequently less effective communications for both the hotel & guest.
Our Guest Experience Team strives to provide information about available room types to guests in a professional, courteous manner so that callers can confidently select their preferred room type. It would never be our intent to cause confusion, to offend, or to come across as condescending. We sincerely apologize if this was your perception & experience. Our hotel offers a variety of room types. Unfortunately, all Renewal Steam Suites (w/walk-in steam shower & fireplace) were sold out during your stay. Please know that Sue was dedicated to ensuring your complete satisfaction while offering available room type selections. After your reservation call, she asked the front desk to offer you a tour of available room types upon check-in, so you could verify/choose your preferred room & so your stay would be enjoyable. We are glad you found an alternate room type that offered a fireplace & whirlpool. Again, we are so sorry if we let you down. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you and to regain your trust on your next trip to the North Shore and Grand Marais.

Reviewed December 1, 2011

This is a quality Inn, with great views, located directly on the North Shore waterfront of Lake Superior.
In addition to the nice clean room with a balcony, there is a central laundry room available. It is nice to take a break after a day of hiking in the spa room, which is supplied with clean towels. The office was very helpful in supplying copies of road maps of the recommended leaf color change routes. Close to downtown restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
#5 of 32 in Grand Marais
Harbor Inn Restaurant & Motel
Harbor Inn Restaurant & Motel
#7 of 10 in Grand Marais

Been to Best Western Plus Superior Inn? Share your experiences!