“Great Choice”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I missed this restaurant when I was last in Grand Marais but discovered it the first night back. This place does a lively business and the food is exceptional. The staff are efficient and friendly. The food is flavorful, imaginative and well presented. I am told that their French Onion Soup is extraordinary and plan to find out for myself tonight. This may be my favorite restaurant in town.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I read through all of the reviews of the Crooked Spoon, and was more than excited to visit here! Our experience was so disappointing. I don't know if we caught them on a bad day, or what?? We dined in for lunch on a Wednesday, at about 1:30. (they close for lunch at 3:00) We were seated at the table right next to the entrance by our waitress, that dare I say, seemed annoyed that another group of people had shown up to eat. It took her almost 10 minutes to come back to just give us some water. We were seconds away from just leaving, and we should have.... As more people kept showing up, there is nowhere for them to wait, so the bumping of my chair from people, purses, & backpacks got old. Anyway, once we finally ordered, and my $12.50 fancy hamburger came, I took a double take at my plate, because the dill pickle potato chips were Old Dutch dill pickle chips! What?? With a $12.50 hamburger? I'm not a food snob, but for real, a side item of bagged chips belongs down the street at the Grand Marais VFW, not the Crooked Spoon. I just don't get this place at all.....sorry.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Our service was pretty good- not great, but pretty good. The food was great! Upbeat and busy, but casual and unhurried. We had a great time and the atmosphere was fantastic. We liked that it was unpretentious and yet somewhat refined and rustic!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had a poor service experience at another local restaurant and went to the Crooked Spoon instead.

Wife had the pork chop, about 2" thick! I had the fresh Lake Superior fish.

Everything was excellent! Highly recommended.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Yes, in Grand Marais it is a must to try this quaint cafe with outstanding food. This was our lunch stop on this travel day ; we discussed spending the night in this town just so we could come back for dinner before continuing our Lake Superior Circle Tour.
Yes, it was that good ! Our food was fresh & delicious. For sure we would eat here again if traveling this way !