“Let the buyer beware”

Spruceglen Inn
Spruceglen Inn
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Grand Marais
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our room was in an adjacent property (Spruce Glen) which is a converted motel. We were informed *at check-in* that there was no air conditioning. While the room itself was fine (albeit, stuffy and warm), we were placed in a room next to a series of three rooms that are apparently used to house employees and equipment (this despite the fact that the place was not crowded). Beginning around 10PM, there were people/employees going in and out, yelling, shouting to each other, leaving and coming on motorcycles. We couldn't close the windows because the room was very warm. Finally, at 12:30 I called the front desk (and she was very apologetic) and someone came over and told them to be quiet. Things improved, but were still noisy. When I mentioned it at checkout, a different front desk clerk said she had been told about this by the overnight clerk, but made no apologies to us. When we suggested that in the future they might consider not putting someone in that room when other rooms were available, she made no comment. There was no offer to discount the room for our difficulties. Having worked in a hotel as a front desk employee, I was surprised at the lack of customer service.

Other than the noisiness, the sheets were a bit rough and the mattresses (at least the twin--the room was a double and a twin) and pillows were not very comfortable, but they did appear new and things were clean. The bathroom (with the exception of the tub) had been upgraded. There is a small flat screen TV and a fridge in this room. There was also a fan that was very noisy (but useful for drowing out outside noise). The room unfortunately looked out over dumpster, a garage, and some broken down cars. This was a shame because beautiful Lake Superior views were available had all this junk been moved elsewhere.

Motel guests have access to the main lodge (Aspen Lodge) including sauna, whirlpool, and pool. There is wi-fi in the main lodge, not the motel. The free breakfast was very basic--thin coffee, bagels, frozen waffles, instant oatmeal, juice.

Location was convenient, just beyond the main downtown area, near grocery stores.

Room Tip: Avoid 412 in the motel unless you don't need to sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Janeite1

Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife had signed up for a two day Writers Workshop at the Grand Marais Arts Colony. All we needed was a clean place to lay our heads at night. This was it! The price was right, the room, while dated, was very clean. No AC wasn't a problem - we are Northern Minnesotans so we know the nights cool down and the room fan was more than adequate. Although we were in an outside corner room, facing highway, we found the place to be quite quiet

I did take advantage of the continental breakfasts at the next door Aspen Lodge. This, too, was adequate. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Spruceglen Inn is an adjunct to the more highly rated and pricier Aspen Lodge. In fact, you check in at the Aspen Lodge for the Spruceglen Inn (SGI) which is right next door. SGI has no AC which is probably not needed most days, but it was when I was there. Fortunately, there is a ceiling fan in each room. The windows were open and one was broken and wouldn't close. The room was clean but old and in need of repair or demolition. The bathroom was okay for a guy on a motorcycle, which I was. My two riding partners were with their wives, and they would not have stayed in the room.

The good points were the price and the amenities available at the Aspen Lodge, which include pool, hot tub, patio, and continental breakfast. I would not stay there again. I would put out a few more bucks and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Doug R
Reviewed August 29, 2010

The forecast was for a beautiful weekend in Grand Marais and my wife and I were looking for an affordable option to enjoy the downtown area. After considering our frugal budget we made reservations at Spruceglen. Everything else was either too expensive or a fair drive from Grand Marais.

We were quite tempted to cancel our reservation after reading the reviews on this website. We decided to head up early and view a room before checking in. The room looked great compared to what we were expecting after reading these reviews. It's nothing fancy, a fairly small room with a king bed in the middle, a table by the window, a small closet, a decent shower/tub, an old TV and a refridgerator. All of it was very clean and acceptable. We were able to walk over to Aspen Lodge and use the pool/hot tub and play games in the lobby before heading to bed. The motel is near the road but we shut our windows for the night and slept great! We enjoyed a continental breakfast in the morning, checked out and went for a final jaunt through town before heading home. When we arrived home, we felt like we had an awesome weekend retreat and were gone only a little over 24hrs.

Again, Spruceglen doesn't have a lot of frills but we did enjoy having a fridge, pool, hot tub, continental breakfast and decent lobby at our disposal which is something I doubt you will find at any other discount motel. It was very clean and we slept really well. We were glad we decided to stay there!

Grant & Danielle

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank NorthShoreDweller
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Had an unplanned delay in getting to Isle Royale (Wenonah didn't sail due to high waves), so had to lay over... it was a Wednesday in July, and found walk-up rates of around $100+ in Grand Marais, so we worked our way down...

Pros: walking distance to the harbor/downtown/restaurants. Use of the pool and hot tub at Aspen Inn. Free Wi-Fi at Aspen (lobby) and continental b-fast.

Cons: OK, to start (and be fair) this hotel should be considered when you are looking for basic accomodation, i.e. roof over head and flat area to sleep. Our room was small, able to fit a double and single bed. Wearables (carpet, linens, etc) were pretty worn, but usable (note: the carpet's ready to be replaced). There is no a/c, but there is a ceiling fan, so be prepared if it's 'that week' of warm weather on the North Shore.

Continental b-fast at Aspen was basic, clean, and filling.

Would I stay here again? Hmmmmmmm...... Hard to say. The place has loads of potential; for the cost of new carpet/linens, some new paint, and a/c, it could be both desirable and economical.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank zman319
AspenLodge, Front Desk Manager Aspen Lodge & Spruceglen at Spruceglen Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2010

Zman319 is correct. These rooms are very basic. A place to lay your head, watch tv, keeps you warm and dry on wet days...our price reflects the same when compared to other rates around.

Aspen Lodge and Spruceglen are run with the same staff. You may have read on Aspen Lodge's review that we have just gone through a staff change. With that came a higher standard of customer service, cleaning and maintenance (as of May 2009). It is a big job to undertake and we hope that our progress shows.

Spring of 2010 is dedicated to the Spruceglen. These are older units and are in need of some TLC. The plan for this spring is to thoroughly go through each room. Deep clean carpets, paint walls and window trim, resurface some of the bathtubs and general maintenace and some updating. Keep in mind these rooms are circa 1950...They are the size of rooms from 1950...they are also near the road and have no frills.These are also pet friendly rooms so keep this in mind for your stay

While I agree that the rooms are dated I can assure you that the rooms are very clean, free of hair and will fit your needs if your needs are basic. We have people that stay regularly and love it. It truly depends on our guest expectation. You also have access to the pool/sauna/hot tub and the complimentary continental breakfast (that just keeps getting better) at the Aspen as well..

If for any reason you are not saticfied with your room we will relocate you to any of our three properties. No questions asked. When you stay with us you are never locked into paying for a room you are not comforable with. We will move you to one of our other various properties or you may leave without penalty.

Thank you!

Reviewed October 8, 2008

My boyfirend, dog, and I stayed at this hotel to finally have a getaway together and see the fall leaves. We were put in a smoking king room b/c that's all they had available when I called a week in advance. The price was $79 a night. We were very disappointed to get their and realize we had ended up at the dirtiest motel in town.
There was a sign on the locked front door that said no vacancy, I knew the Aspen Lodge next door was the same company so we walked over there to see where we were supposed to check in. Apparently it was over there.....good to know!
So we walked back over to our room and were immediately blasted with the stank odor of the room. It was tiny and about two feet of walk space in the room around the King bed. My first stop with to use the bathroom and was disgusted to see it had been used and not flushed! The bedspread was gross so I pulled it back to look at the sheets...there was hair on the pillow cases and on the sheets. I called the front desk immediately to complain and they agreed it was gross so they agreed to come over with clean sheets. AFter I hung up the phone I opened the mini fridge to see if it worked.....and there was hair in there too! I called the front desk again to inform them of the fridge hair and they apologized again. There was also dust on the tv stand, the curtains were falling down, the ceiling fan had a coat of dust, the floor was disgusting, and a weird little indian man came over within five mins and tried to walk in our room to tell us that he was HOH and if his TV was too loud to let him know. When the maid showed up we left the hotel and took our dog as it was too gross to even leave her there, when we returned many hours later we were good and buzzed up from the beer (from the only bar in town!) that we went right to sleep:)
Upon check out we were assisted by a girl with pericings all over her face. She gave me a credit card slip to sign that only charged me for one night. I didn't mention it and decided that's all the hotel was worth as it was so gross...did I mention the box spring had dark brown stains spilled on the side. Well the hotel decided to charge me full price for both nights. I called and complained that I have a signed receipt only charging me for one. They offered me $25 off the total bill of $170. Their excuse was that the girl was new and mischarged. I have left a message for the GM and plan to call my bank next to dispute the charge.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank strawrae
Reviewed September 3, 2007

This year we have stayed in 36 different units while traveling around the US. This one by far was the worst we have come across. This is a very small and very old strip motel with parking at the door. It has NO AIR CONDIITIONING. The windows need to be open for ventilation so you hear the conversation and TV in the adjoining units. It is less than a street width off the highway and the noise from the highway made it difficult to fall asleep much less stay asleep.

The unit had newer carpeting, newer paint and wallpaper, a stained worn bedspread. There were chips from previous guests under the edge of the bedspread. The following morning when the bedspread was pulled back, the blue and white stripped box spring revealed old "puc" stains.

We should have been forewarned by their reservation policy. Since it was weekend we had to book two nights and any cancellation needed to be made 3 day prior to the check-in date. Once we checked-in we were stuck paying for two nights. We paid $99 a night for this unit.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Retired12-31-06