“What a gem!”

Ranked #2 of 34 Restaurants in Grand Marais
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located in the quaint harbor village of Grand Marais, Minnesota, on Lake Superior's beautiful North Shore, the Harbor House Grille is a cozy neighborhood restaurant serving up tasty handcrafted meals, using fresh & seasonal ingredients. Offering Beer, Wine, Spirits & Flavor!
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stopped by for an early dinner on a Saturday evening after a day of skiing at nearby Lutsen Mountain. We made a reservation and when we arrived our table was already set for us with water, menus and tableware. Dana was our server, and she couldn't have been better. My boyfriend had the 1/2 rack of ribs and I had a wood-fired tilapia; both meals were of good portions and were excellently prepared. We split a dessert of apple-maple cake which was a wonderful ending to the meal. We will be back the next time we visit Grand Marais.

1  Thank Seawench55

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We liked the nice variety of dishes at this small restaurant. I had the special, a fish dish, that was quite good. And my wife tried the walnut burger that was also good. My children enjoyed their pizza and we all enjoyed our desserts. We also enjoyed the artwork on the walls from a local artist very much and have looked into getting a print by him.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Like the service and menu choices in a bright but cold spring. If you are a foodie this is a place to taste. Our waitress Amy was passionate about heroes and the menu that was offered. Local Canada steak had great char grilled flavour as well as the chicken Marsala. This is a gem amongst the backdrop of blue collar restaurants.. It is worth your time to taste and visit the local cusine!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

My family ended up dining here after seeing that the Crooked Spoon was closed for the season and after reading the positive reviews on Yelp. What we discovered is our new favorite restaurant on Grand Marais. I had the Harbor House burger with soup and my wife had the Reuben with a mixed green salad. The bread from the rye to the brioche bun were exceptional. For desert we tried the apple maple cake and dark chocolate lava (ala mode). The restaurant is also kid friendly with both of my kids clearing their plates (this never happens). The service was also friendly with the perfect level of attentiveness. We could not be happier with our meal and will definitely be back the next time we visit the north shore.

1  Thank Liz-Mikko
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We discovered this restaurant last year while looking for somewhere to stop for lunch. At the time, it had only been open four months. We ordered the lunch special--soup, salad, and half a sandwich. We enjoyed our food so much, we went back to the restaurant for dinner a couple of days later, and were not disappointed. This year during our visit to the area, we went to Harbor House Grille for my husband's birthday dinner. Afterward he told me, "That was the best meal I've ever eaten." He had the twin duck legs special, with rice and wheat berries, seasoned vegetables, French onion soup, and carrot cake cheesecake for dessert. I also had the French onion soup, along with a small filet mignon and two large prawns, roasted Yukon gold potatoes, seasoned vegetables, and the salted pretzel cheesecake. Ed, the chef/owner, cooks wonderful food and it is apparent he takes a lot of pride in what he serves. Our server, Jackie, was attentive and engaging. The restaurant is small, with eight tables seating about 40 people, which is nice, and gives the sense of that the customers are receiving individual attention. Only two other tables were occupied, which was on a Sunday night in the winter, but I hope that Grand Marais realizes what a wonderful restaurant they have and that it will remain in business for a long time to come. We are looking forward to the next time we travel to the North Shore so we can dine there again.