“Wonderful Chef”

Ranked #3 of 36 Restaurants in Grand Marais
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located in the quaint harbor village of Grand Marais, Minnesota, on Lake Superior's beautiful North Shore, the Harbor House Grille is a cozy neighborhood restaurant serving up tasty handcrafted meals, using fresh & seasonal ingredients. Offering Beer, Wine, Spirits & Flavor!
Reviewed September 18, 2013

It was a Friday night and getting late, around 8:15 pm. Restaurants were getting ready to close at 8:30 so we decided to try Harbor House Grill. Wonderful food. I had one of the "special" fish dishes and my wife had a steak. We both enjoyed what we ordered. The dinner salads and the dressings were very good. We tried the homemade chocolate cake for dessert, nice!! If I were to ever visit again, I would eat here.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Exceptional food, exceptional service, exceptional view. We hadn't been to Grand Marais for several years but had fun reminiscing about our previous visits and decided to try Harbor House Grille. We went back 2 more times and want to recommend Jackie as a wait staff. She was a great server and very engaging. Not sure what happened with "garbagecollector" but I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We recently had my son's rehearsal dinner at the Harbor House Grille. Right from the start Cindy and Ed were so helpful and accommodating. They helped me plan the food, and worked around special dietary needs and our ever-expanding crowd! And the FOOD. Oh my. I heard all three choices were terrific, but the Lake Superior Whitefish was melt-in-your-mouth, fresh and flavorful! I am so happy to recommend this fine restaurant!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

On a motorcycle trip with friends on Memorial Day weekend, we enjoyed a one-night stay in Grand Marais. Since Grand Marais is one of our favorite towns on the planet, we were thrilled that there was a new restaurant to try. It had only been open for a short time but was highly recommended by several Grand Marais folks.

Since we had eaten a huge lunch, we opted for pizza rather than a dinner entrée. The pizza was fabulous. With Fulton beer on tap, it was a great choice.

Yes, our service was slow. The restaurant was so new, they were still staffing up; it was prior to their Grand Opening. They were just building the outdoor seating. The relaxed atmosphere gave us time to start a conversation with two delightful women sitting next to us who lived in Grand Marais. We learned more about the local art community.

More important, everything is made to order and from scratch by the owner, Chef Ed. We weren't looking for a quick, microwaved meal like so many places in town serve. The quality of the food was well worth the wait. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had planned to eat across the street at the popular seafood restaurant in town, but we weren't willing to wait an hour. That was our mistake. We chose Harbor House Grille instead. At first, all was good. We were greeted and seated in no time. We chose to sit inside. The place is not well ventilated and it had been warm that day. It was windy and too cool outside, but it was too warm inside. It was downhill from there. The waitress took too long to take our order, and then she took forever to return. The food came back barely room temperature (did she forget to bring us our order?), but we ate because we were starving. The food was okay, so I didn't rate this restaurant lower. I would suggest they train their staff better and warn people on a warm day about the stuffy inside atmosphere.