“Wonderful food, wonderful view!”

Harbor House Grille
Ranked #3 of 34 Restaurants in Grand Marais
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located in the quaint harbor village of Grand Marais, Minnesota, on Lake Superior's beautiful North Shore, the Harbor House Grille is a cozy neighborhood restaurant serving up tasty handcrafted meals, using fresh & seasonal ingredients. Offering Beer, Wine, Spirits & Flavor!
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I had a wonderful experience at the Harbor House! Excellent server, spectacular view of the harbor, and delicious food. I had the French onion soup and the blonde chicken pizza. Wow! The cheese on the soup was sooooo good and gooey, and the green pesto sauce on the pizza was awesome, along with the perfect crust. Mmmmm. I'd go here again in a heartbeat.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stopped in on Friday afternoon for a bite to eat, the new front patio was open for business! As I entered the front door I was greeted with a smiling face and a pleasant hostess. I asked if I could sit outside since the sun was out and she quickly agreed that was the best choice. My server was polite, smiling and very informative of the menu. Since it was lunch I wanted to keep it simple with a burger and fries...OH NO...they have no pepper jack cheese! My server returned to inform me of the cheese issue but had an immediate solution; Ed the Chef, could season a piece of Swiss cheese for me since the pepper jack was not available. I agreed that the Chef's idea sounded great and the order was placed. My burger and wedge fries arrived in the allowed time with my burger tasting fantastic! Not only was the cheese seasoned but it was a combo of two cheeses with spice! The deck was filling up pretty fast with customers, I could not blame them the view was spectacular! The meal, view, price and service was all spot on! I would return again and bring friends any day of the week.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Headed here for our anniversary dinner on an annual trip to the North Shore...not realizing that Chez Jude had closed and this new restaurant opened in its place. This was NOT similar to Chez Jude in any way except the space. Salad was spring greens out of a bag with two slivers of red pepper and a few dried cranberries. My husband said his steak was ok but the mashed potatoes were odd. I ordered sea scallops and shrimp on a bed of spinach fettuccine with a pesto Alfredo sauce. Sounds yummy, right? Scallops were accompanied by the crunch of sand and shrimp were undercooked and slimy. Sauce tasted like something from a can with a generic pesto stirred in. Pasta was nicely cooked though! Even my glass of Reisling tasted metallic and "off". We opted to cut our losses and skip dessert even though we were far from full. If I go back I will wear jeans and older wood fired pizza. This is no longer a fine dining destination.

cindylou159, Owner at Harbor House Grille, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

We are sorry your experience at Harbor House Grille did not meet your expectations. Although we have chosen a different restaurant concept than our predecessor, Chez Jude, we do still strive to serve good, handcrafted & homecooked meals to all our guests. You don't have to wear jeans but you are certainly welcome to come and give our wood fired oven pizza a try. Thanks for your comments.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

It was a special night so thought we would try this new restaurant. Nice space, but nothing more. First, we ordered the fresh sliced vegetables on a bed of mixed greens. What we got, was a small hand full of bagged mixed greens, and one sliver slice of red bell pepper on top. We also ordered the wood fire pizza. They both came out of the wood stove under done. The dough was like a soft bread and quite pale in color... not at all like a pizza. The first pizza we ordered, was the Blue Fungi pizza. Are you kidding me? CANNED MUSHROOMS. I haven't seen canned mushrooms on anything since the 60's. And to call them FUNGI is ridiculous. The other pizza was equally uninteresting. I think they had better pick up the quality of their food, or they won't last. There are plenty of other Great spots to eat in town.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very good food, great intimate atmosphere, excellent friendly and helpful staff, nice beer selection. My only gripe: wish it had been warm enough to sit outside!