“Great new patio for lunch in the sun!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harbor House Grille

Harbor House Grille
Ranked #2 of 34 Restaurants in Grand Marais
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located in the quaint harbor village of Grand Marais, Minnesota, on Lake Superior's beautiful North Shore, the Harbor House Grille is a cozy neighborhood restaurant serving up tasty handcrafted meals, using fresh & seasonal ingredients. Offering Beer, Wine, Spirits & Flavor!
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
“Great new patio for lunch in the sun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stopped in on Friday afternoon for a bite to eat, the new front patio was open for business! As I entered the front door I was greeted with a smiling face and a pleasant hostess. I asked if I could sit outside since the sun was out and she quickly agreed that was the best choice. My server was polite, smiling and very informative of the menu. Since it was lunch I wanted to keep it simple with a burger and fries...OH NO...they have no pepper jack cheese! My server returned to inform me of the cheese issue but had an immediate solution; Ed the Chef, could season a piece of Swiss cheese for me since the pepper jack was not available. I agreed that the Chef's idea sounded great and the order was placed. My burger and wedge fries arrived in the allowed time with my burger tasting fantastic! Not only was the cheese seasoned but it was a combo of two cheeses with spice! The deck was filling up pretty fast with customers, I could not blame them the view was spectacular! The meal, view, price and service was all spot on! I would return again and bring friends any day of the week.

• Visited June 2013

MOORHEAD
“Such a disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Headed here for our anniversary dinner on an annual trip to the North Shore...not realizing that Chez Jude had closed and this new restaurant opened in its place. This was NOT similar to Chez Jude in any way except the space. Salad was spring greens out of a bag with two slivers of red pepper and a few dried cranberries. My husband said his steak was ok but the mashed potatoes were odd. I ordered sea scallops and shrimp on a bed of spinach fettuccine with a pesto Alfredo sauce. Sounds yummy, right? Scallops were accompanied by the crunch of sand and shrimp were undercooked and slimy. Sauce tasted like something from a can with a generic pesto stirred in. Pasta was nicely cooked though! Even my glass of Reisling tasted metallic and "off". We opted to cut our losses and skip dessert even though we were far from full. If I go back I will wear jeans and older wood fired pizza. This is no longer a fine dining destination.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
cindylou159, Owner at Harbor House Grille, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
We are sorry your experience at Harbor House Grille did not meet your expectations. Although we have chosen a different restaurant concept than our predecessor, Chez Jude, we do still strive to serve good, handcrafted & homecooked meals to all our guests. You don't have to wear jeans but you are certainly welcome to come and give our wood fired oven pizza a try. Thanks for your comments.
Saint Paul
“Canned mushrooms on the fungi pizza... Really?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

It was a special night so thought we would try this new restaurant. Nice space, but nothing more. First, we ordered the fresh sliced vegetables on a bed of mixed greens. What we got, was a small hand full of bagged mixed greens, and one sliver slice of red bell pepper on top. We also ordered the wood fire pizza. They both came out of the wood stove under done. The dough was like a soft bread and quite pale in color... not at all like a pizza. The first pizza we ordered, was the Blue Fungi pizza. Are you kidding me? CANNED MUSHROOMS. I haven't seen canned mushrooms on anything since the 60's. And to call them FUNGI is ridiculous. The other pizza was equally uninteresting. I think they had better pick up the quality of their food, or they won't last. There are plenty of other Great spots to eat in town.

• Visited May 2013
Duluth, Minnesota
“Great new option in Grand Marais”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very good food, great intimate atmosphere, excellent friendly and helpful staff, nice beer selection. My only gripe: wish it had been warm enough to sit outside!

Visited May 2013
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Canned mushrooms....really?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Lovely and quaint is how I would describe the atmosphere - upstairs....carpet, little white lights and lace curtains....private (which we asked for, having never been to the former restaurant we had no idea what it looked like inside). The food was good. We had the walleye fingers which were just ok. I had the filet with garlic and goat cheese which was super flavorful, and my husband had the NY strip which had no seasoning and really was bland! We always like a bit of mushrooms to accompany a steak so I ordered the sauteed mushrooms and was absolutely shocked when I received CANNED mushrooms all over my steak!! I have never been so turned off by a meal, but also I was appalled that this (let alone any) restaurant would have served them! I managed to push them to the side and ignore them so I could enjoy my meal. I sincerely hope this was a one time occasion and not their usual offering. This is not a low end restaurant so in my opinion it shouldn't even be an option! I would have much preferred that they told me they were out of mushrooms.
The salads were very small - comparable to the size of a "cup of soup" which I felt was barely enough to be called a salad. The (white) wine was very well chilled which kind of made it all ok.
That being said, they were very nice, accommodating (since we were almost an hour late for our reservation and when we called to tell them that they said it was absolutely no problem). There is a wide variety of menu options which is really great.
I might return in the future, I only hesitate as there are a few other restaurants that I would like to try first on my next trip there. Oh, and they were only open until 9pm on Friday night so we felt a little rushed.

• Visited March 2013