“Such a disappointment”

Ranked #2 of 34 Restaurants in Grand Marais
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located in the quaint harbor village of Grand Marais, Minnesota, on Lake Superior's beautiful North Shore, the Harbor House Grille is a cozy neighborhood restaurant serving up tasty handcrafted meals, using fresh & seasonal ingredients. Offering Beer, Wine, Spirits & Flavor!
MOORHEAD
“Such a disappointment”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Headed here for our anniversary dinner on an annual trip to the North Shore...not realizing that Chez Jude had closed and this new restaurant opened in its place. This was NOT similar to Chez Jude in any way except the space. Salad was spring greens out of a bag with two slivers of red pepper and a few dried cranberries. My husband said his steak was ok but the mashed potatoes were odd. I ordered sea scallops and shrimp on a bed of spinach fettuccine with a pesto Alfredo sauce. Sounds yummy, right? Scallops were accompanied by the crunch of sand and shrimp were undercooked and slimy. Sauce tasted like something from a can with a generic pesto stirred in. Pasta was nicely cooked though! Even my glass of Reisling tasted metallic and "off". We opted to cut our losses and skip dessert even though we were far from full. If I go back I will wear jeans and older wood fired pizza. This is no longer a fine dining destination.

• Visited June 2013
cindylou159, Owner at Harbor House Grille, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
We are sorry your experience at Harbor House Grille did not meet your expectations. Although we have chosen a different restaurant concept than our predecessor, Chez Jude, we do still strive to serve good, handcrafted & homecooked meals to all our guests. You don't have to wear jeans but you are certainly welcome to come and give our wood fired oven pizza a try. Thanks for your comments.

Saint Paul
“Canned mushrooms on the fungi pizza... Really?”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

It was a special night so thought we would try this new restaurant. Nice space, but nothing more. First, we ordered the fresh sliced vegetables on a bed of mixed greens. What we got, was a small hand full of bagged mixed greens, and one sliver slice of red bell pepper on top. We also ordered the wood fire pizza. They both came out of the wood stove under done. The dough was like a soft bread and quite pale in color... not at all like a pizza. The first pizza we ordered, was the Blue Fungi pizza. Are you kidding me? CANNED MUSHROOMS. I haven't seen canned mushrooms on anything since the 60's. And to call them FUNGI is ridiculous. The other pizza was equally uninteresting. I think they had better pick up the quality of their food, or they won't last. There are plenty of other Great spots to eat in town.

• Visited May 2013
Duluth, Minnesota
“Great new option in Grand Marais”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very good food, great intimate atmosphere, excellent friendly and helpful staff, nice beer selection. My only gripe: wish it had been warm enough to sit outside!

Visited May 2013
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Canned mushrooms....really?”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Lovely and quaint is how I would describe the atmosphere - upstairs....carpet, little white lights and lace curtains....private (which we asked for, having never been to the former restaurant we had no idea what it looked like inside). The food was good. We had the walleye fingers which were just ok. I had the filet with garlic and goat cheese which was super flavorful, and my husband had the NY strip which had no seasoning and really was bland! We always like a bit of mushrooms to accompany a steak so I ordered the sauteed mushrooms and was absolutely shocked when I received CANNED mushrooms all over my steak!! I have never been so turned off by a meal, but also I was appalled that this (let alone any) restaurant would have served them! I managed to push them to the side and ignore them so I could enjoy my meal. I sincerely hope this was a one time occasion and not their usual offering. This is not a low end restaurant so in my opinion it shouldn't even be an option! I would have much preferred that they told me they were out of mushrooms.
The salads were very small - comparable to the size of a "cup of soup" which I felt was barely enough to be called a salad. The (white) wine was very well chilled which kind of made it all ok.
That being said, they were very nice, accommodating (since we were almost an hour late for our reservation and when we called to tell them that they said it was absolutely no problem). There is a wide variety of menu options which is really great.
I might return in the future, I only hesitate as there are a few other restaurants that I would like to try first on my next trip there. Oh, and they were only open until 9pm on Friday night so we felt a little rushed.

• Visited March 2013
Thunder Bay, Ontario
“Delicious and Reasonably Priced”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was my first visit to the restaurant that used to be "Chez Jude", on recommendation of the ladies in the tourism office, I love sampling new eateries and Harbor House was a pleasant surprise. The soup of the day was a cream based wild rice cranberry...sounded different, but tasted great! For the entree I had the light and flaky walleye filet; it was coated in just the right amount of batter and was delicious. It came with nicely seasoned rice and a tasty mix of vegetables that weren't greasy or overcooked. The amount of food was just right. For dessert I chose the Hershey chocolate cake...MMMM! The chocolate cake itself was moist and not very sweet, which paired perfectly with the sweetness of the chocolate icing. The wait staff were very friendly and gave excellent service. The ambience was pleasant; I sat near the fireplace which was nice to take the chill off on that cool, rainy day. An improvement to the building is an addition of an outer entrance which prevents cold outside air from streaming straight inside. Great idea! I can't wait for my next visit, thanks!

• Visited May 2013