“Very nice stay”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Grand Marais
Minneapolis, MN
“Very nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

We checked in for a 3 night stay, reservations and check in were very smooth. Parking is right at the hotel. The staff was knowledgable and helpful. We had a room with 2 queen beds and a fridge. I noticed there were a couple of family rooms that were just like ours except they also had a microwave and a separate bedroom, in other words 3 queen beds in the family suite. There is a adjacent property call Spruce something or other under the same management. Rooms were a little more tight there but cheaper. Location is on the Northeast edge of town, very convenient walk to all services and village attractions.

The room was comfortable. It faced the big lake but not really visible due to a lot of trees. The airconditioning worked perfect. The bathroom was decent sized. The shower gave plenty of hot water and the soaps/shampoos were provided. We all slept pretty well.

The wi-fi worked perfectly. The lobby was warm, clean, and comfortably furnished. There was usually coffee available. The continental breakfast was nothing to write home about. Juices were ok. Cereal selection was a Lucky Charms or Raisin Bran both work for me. There were muffins, English Muffins, Bluebery Bagels. The only fresh fruit were some very tasteless apples. There were different instant oatmeals. All in all, just adequate but appreciated as we needed a thrifty breakfast.

The pool area was great for kids. The hottub was actually hot and appreciated after a day of hiking and swimming in the freezing waters of Lake Superior. There was a sauna but I did not really try it. The deck outside was pleasant if you don't mind a little traffic going by.

We essentially wanted a budget room at the height of summer that was comfortable. This was perfect for the fit. It is a great hotel if you are traveling with a limited budget but many people. Really great as the kids who were there had a ball in the pool area. So it gets a strong recommendation for this value minded traveler.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
on the river
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2009

Every year we pass thru Grand Marais on our way home from fishing in Canada. We have stayed at the Aspen many times and always enjoyed it. This past trip, with just 3 of us looking for a comfortable room for the night, we stayed in the Spruce Glen Inn next door. The Aspen Lodges office runs this also. We got clean, comfortable rooms at a good rate.

I cannot say enough about the staff at the Aspen this year. They are very friendly and helpful, well above and beyond the expected. The thing that really makes them stand out is that I left my favorite jacket at the restaurant across the highway from the hotel after eating supper there the night before we checked out. The restaurant did not open till 11 the next day and we had to be on the road by 7am. Not sure where I had left it, Beth at the front desk gave me the restaurants phone number to call them from the road and said that if it was there just have them bring it over and the hotel would send it to me. Well, it was there when I called, but they did not know if anyone there could run it over to the hotel or not. I called back to Beth at the Aspen and she says sure, we can have someone get it from the restaurant. 1 week later I got my jacket in the mail. What more can I say! Wonderful staff and thank you Beth!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Appleton, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2009

We had a nice room overlooking the lake. Look on their website for internet special rates. The service was excellent, friendly and helpful. It is located just a very short walk from town. Breakfast is OK and there is a nice pool, whirlpool and deck which is a pleasure after a long day. There is an IGA just down the street which has the best deals on local smoked fish. You must eat at the Angry Trout.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

We were thrilled to make our first trip to this part of Minnesota, and discover such a family friendly hotel in a wonderful town. We took advantage of a special "stay 4 nights and get the 5th free" offer, from July 4-9th. Coming from Charleston, South Carolina, home of Southern Hospitality and friendliness, from the time I spent on the phone booking our stay, to the information I received about 4th of July fireworks and the Gunflint Trail, the staff couldn't have been nicer. Beth, the Front Desk Manger, in particular, went out of her way to suggest great activities for the children, and gave us a beautiful 3rd floor room with a lakeview, knowing it was our first visit there. I needed to have my car serviced during our stay and her help was invaluable. Our room was a very good size, and immaculate each day when we returned from our adventures. The breakfast buffet was very good with a nice variety of food and fruit. It could get a little tight quarters if you went to eat at the wrong time, but the breakfast room itsself was bright and lovely. I vacationed there with my 3 children, ages, 11, 9 and 7 and they are begging to go back next summer!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Beachmother
Excelsior, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2009

I have stayed at Aspen Lodge over 5 times in the last 8 months. At each visit I have been greated with smiles and kindness. The staff makes this place home. Those improvements alone will keep me coming there.
The rooms have improved greatly with new pillows and they are always clean. Cleaning is my business so I am particular. The pool area is also nicer with the hot tub being hotter and the pool being cleaner.
I would recommend this hotel above many others in the area.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
minesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

I had good expierences the past 2 years. Clean rooms and swimming facilites were great. Freindly workers.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2009

This hotel has become trashy over the past 6 years. The carpets were incredibly filthy, mold on the bathroom ceiling, mildew on the shower curtain, pool was green and colder than Superior with the hot tub hot enough to give you 3rd degree burns. After being a faithful guest for over 6 years, I'd rather spend $1000 a night elsewhere than to subject myself to the filth at this hotel. Gross.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
AspenLodge, Front Desk Manager at Aspen Lodge, responded to this review, July 28, 2009
Aspen Lodge is a fairly new property (1995). We have a wonderful pool, sauna, hot tub area (it does need repainting and is on the maintenance schedule for this fall). In was just completely inspected and passed with flying colors. The pool/hot tub temperature is set at regulatory 82/104 degrees. We follow the standard set by the state (they actually say it should be set at 78/102 degrees). Chemical balance is checked and adjusted daily.

Our rooms are all lake facing with a view of the beautiful harbor (with the exception of the first floor level). The coffee is always on in our family friendly lobby and just waiting for you to sit back and relax or enjoy our complimentary continental breakfast. All of our spacious rooms come with a refrigerator and hair dryer 2 queen beds or one king. We also have specialty rooms with Jacuzzi tubs or larger rooms for bigger families and a conference room, if needed. The mattresses are standard bed mattresses; well maintained and comfortable. We have complimentary wi-fi available in most rooms and a hospitality computer in the lobby.

We also offer smoking and pet friendly rooms in our more economical motel units. These are older, more “quaint” (smaller) rooms that accommodate up to three people.

Our rooms are cleaned and then quality checked after every check out and again before someone checks into a room. Twice a year we go through and thoroughly inspect each and every room. We've got a running maintenance schedule that is checked daily.

Our staff prides itself in giving our guests everything they need to make their stay more enjoyable. This can be a difficult feat on busy weekends during the summer, when we are completely full but we still smile and do what we can to make it the best stay possible.

We promise that you will enjoy your stay and that you will want to return again and again.

Travelers are raving about these Grand Marais hotels

#8 of 10 in Grand Marais
Harbor Inn Restaurant & Motel
Harbor Inn Restaurant & Motel
#6 of 10 in Grand Marais

Been to Aspen Lodge? Share your experiences!