Aspen Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Spruceglen Inn(Grand Marais)
View Hotel
Mangy Moose Motel(Grand Marais)
View Hotel
East Bay Suites(Grand Marais)
View Hotel
The Shoreline Inn(Grand Marais)
View Hotel
Feather Nest Inn(Grand Marais)
Aspen Inn(Grand Marais)
View Hotel
All reviewscontinental breakfastfront deskneeded a place to stayroom was spaciousenglish muffinsfamily roomking bedfresh fruitview of lake superiorstayed one nightmini fridgecerealspruceglensaunalodgeshore
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had a great view of the lake from our third floor room. It was very spacious and the staff was extremely kind. The only reason I didn't give it fives starts was because the hot tub in the pool area was pretty gross. And I asked for an ironing board - we were there for a wedding - and it was one of the tiny ones without legs. Makes it hard to iron a full-length dress.

Room Tip: Try and get on the third floor so you can see the lake.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Room was clean and the staff was responsive and competent. Lobby area needs AC, especially when breakfast is being served in the summer. Breakfast itself was decent, with enough variety to not bore you over a few day stay. Pool is good for families and the hot tub for relaxing, but looked like some tile outside the sauna was cracked and in need of replacement. Just a short walk to the downtown/harbor area, so you can easily take in the great little gem that is Grand Marais.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The service here is great but the rooms need updating. The beds are hard and the carpet is in severe need of cleaning/replacement. Pool is very chlorine filled. Try the city pool instead. Breakfast is very basic.

Room Tip: Lower level rooms are pet rooms
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our family of four persons, stayed here for two nights in late August 2013. There was nothing spectacular or outstanding abut this motel--nor was it a horrid lodging experience. It is simply an "O.K." place to stay. The room rate was an O.K. price (for Grand Marais in August)--but you would really expect things to be somewhat better for $130+ per night

The young woman at the reception desk was pleasant enough--but there was also room for improvement. An example: She told us upon our check in, "The key cards here are ancient. I hope you only need the one room key--because that is all that we have right now and it is a real pain for me to make a second one and I really don't want to do that tonight". In her defense, it seemed like she had experienced a rough day. We personally saw her deal with a couple of semi-challenging customers just prior to our checking in.

The complimentary breakfast was also just "O.K." . It was pretty limited compared to what I have seen at most other hotels/motels.

As some other writers have noted, the place is somewhat dated and in need of some renovations and some good old-fashioned general maintenance. (The sink drain would not stay open. The toilet and/or toilet seat was at a slope or angle and a little bit loose. The bathroom door didn't latch easily) .

The current mattresses, pillows and bedding have certainly seen better days. They need to be replaced. The room "keys" are those older plastic cards with a series of holes punched in them. That technology went out of style 10-20 years ago. There is no elevator.

The parking situation is somewhat limited and scattered is about in various places on the small property. The view of the lake was mostly obscured by trees (at least from our room).

Would I tell someone to avoid staying at this motel? No. Ultimately, it is an "O.K." place to stay. However, I think we will personally be looking at other places if we were to come back tp Grand Marais. At the price of lodging along the Minnesota North Shore, I want to have more than just an "O.K." experience--even if it costs me a little bit more.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This place looks generally tired and in need of some renovations. The room smelt musty with strong overtones of disinfectant. When calling to make a reservation I was put on hold then dropped. There was a confused atmosphere at check-in; a different representative at check-out seemed much more organized. Now I know that I was there in high season; and that it is a high rent area, but I really expected a lot more for my $140.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple