Aspen Inn(Grand Marais)
$99
East Bay Suites(Grand Marais)
$217
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of $278/night.

$165
Spruceglen Inn(Grand Marais)
$99
The Shoreline Inn(Grand Marais)
$129
$239
Cancelon
Skyport Lodge(Grand Marais)(Great Value!)
$140
TripAdvisor
All reviewscontinental breakfastfront deskneeded a place to stayroom was spaciousenglish muffinsfamily roomking bedfresh fruitview of lake superiorstayed one nightmini fridgegreat place to staycerealspruceglensaunarinsing
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The service here is great but the rooms need updating. The beds are hard and the carpet is in severe need of cleaning/replacement. Pool is very chlorine filled. Try the city pool instead. Breakfast is very basic.

Room Tip: Lower level rooms are pet rooms
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our family of four persons, stayed here for two nights in late August 2013. There was nothing spectacular or outstanding abut this motel--nor was it a horrid lodging experience. It is simply an "O.K." place to stay. The room rate was an O.K. price (for Grand Marais in August)--but you would really expect things to be somewhat better for $130+ per night

The young woman at the reception desk was pleasant enough--but there was also room for improvement. An example: She told us upon our check in, "The key cards here are ancient. I hope you only need the one room key--because that is all that we have right now and it is a real pain for me to make a second one and I really don't want to do that tonight". In her defense, it seemed like she had experienced a rough day. We personally saw her deal with a couple of semi-challenging customers just prior to our checking in.

The complimentary breakfast was also just "O.K." . It was pretty limited compared to what I have seen at most other hotels/motels.

As some other writers have noted, the place is somewhat dated and in need of some renovations and some good old-fashioned general maintenance. (The sink drain would not stay open. The toilet and/or toilet seat was at a slope or angle and a little bit loose. The bathroom door didn't latch easily) .

The current mattresses, pillows and bedding have certainly seen better days. They need to be replaced. The room "keys" are those older plastic cards with a series of holes punched in them. That technology went out of style 10-20 years ago. There is no elevator.

The parking situation is somewhat limited and scattered is about in various places on the small property. The view of the lake was mostly obscured by trees (at least from our room).

Would I tell someone to avoid staying at this motel? No. Ultimately, it is an "O.K." place to stay. However, I think we will personally be looking at other places if we were to come back tp Grand Marais. At the price of lodging along the Minnesota North Shore, I want to have more than just an "O.K." experience--even if it costs me a little bit more.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This place looks generally tired and in need of some renovations. The room smelt musty with strong overtones of disinfectant. When calling to make a reservation I was put on hold then dropped. There was a confused atmosphere at check-in; a different representative at check-out seemed much more organized. Now I know that I was there in high season; and that it is a high rent area, but I really expected a lot more for my $140.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Hotel was clean and the staff was friendly, bu they are cutting corners as the customers expense. Sauna was not working , ice machine had been down for weeks. I think they need a liitle bit of an overhaul and reovation of the property. Its cheaper than some others, but you get what you pay for.

1  Thank coop99
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We usually stay at the Best Western next door but needed a room last minute and they were full. As others have stated, the service was friendly and the place was clean but you can only clean old carpet and beds so many times. The beds were pretty worn out and a bit sway backed in our room and left us both with sore backs. Bedspreads and carpet were 15-20 years old and you could tell someone had been smoking in the room even though it's a no smoking hotel. Basically it just felt like they needed to re-carpet and invest in new beds and bedding and the place would be much better. Breakfast was ok but nothing to write home about. Again, though, we found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. Our room was also nice and quiet at night, but if you are on the first floor you have no lakeview....just a view of houses between you and the lake.

I wish the owners of the GM hotel company would reinvest in their existing properties instead of building new developments. Makes me wonder if they are going to let the new properties slip with time too. It would be easier to recommend this place if it was updated and not so threadbare.

All things (including price) being about equal. We'd stay here as a distant backup behind the Best Western, East Bay, or Nelson's Travelers Rest, but I wouldn't make a first choice for a stay in Grand Marais unless you absolutely have to stay somewhere with a pool

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor for a lakeview