“Has Become my Favourite Place”
Review of Aspen Lodge

Aspen Lodge
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Grand Marais
Thunder Bay, Ontario
“Has Become my Favourite Place”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

While I often enjoyed the Best Western because of the location and the balcony over the lake, the Aspen Resort has become my favourite hotel to stay in Grand Marais. Though it is set slightly back a bit from the lake's edge, you can still get a nice view of the lake from many of the rooms, plus you can have your own jacuzzi tub in your room. I also love that Aspen has a pool/hot tub/sauna that BW doesn't have. I enjoyed my swims!

I stayed in room 213 which also has a comfortable king sized bed, lots of space, a nice flat screen TV with lots of channels you can watch while soaking in the jacuzzi! There's the usual table - nice for using one's computer with the strong, free wireless, a dresser, plus separate powder room area, and a fridge. I like the black out drapes as light wakes me up. My least favourable feature is the heater. There are no temperature settings, only warmer and cooler. Once you get familiar with how warm the room gets at a certain setting, then you're ok, but you can get overheated until you do. Plus they don't shut off automatically when they reached the chosen temp, so you need to warm up the room, then turn it off at night if you don't want to listen to the fan. I can live iwth it, just a bit inconvenient.

Though I didn't take advantage of it this time, there is a pretty decent free breakfast. There are just so many great breakfast places to eat in town, I wanted to try them. The Pie Place is one of my faves. Everything is within easy walking distance from Aspen.

The room seemed pretty clean, all the bathroom surfaces, carpet etc. The bed spread didn't feel grundgy like some hotels, though the blanket was a bit worn. There was a sort of 'funny' incident; I did find a condom wrapper that was missed by the cleaning staff, kind of eww, but they gave me a discount on my room and were apologetic. It doesn't at all lessen my good opinion of this hotel and I'll stay there again for sure. The staff are very pleasant and helpful.

The final plus is the lovely common area near the front desk where one can sit and read by the fireplace, or watch a Minnesota Wild hockey game with other guests on the bigger TV which I did. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Aspen Lodge, looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: My favourite room is 213: it's an end room a lovely view of the lake and a jacuzzi. Nice and qui...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We had a nice stay away from home without kids! Aspen lodge was clean and they were very friendly! It was quiet and we woke up and had an English muffin and coffee at the continental breakfast. Loved that we could walk downtown from the hotel. And the price was great! We would stay again!

• Stayed November 2012
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have come here several times in late October. Rates are excellent, it's very convenient and very clean. We could walk to shopping restaurants and to the Coast Guard Station, just a couple blocks. Pool is warm and hot tub clean.

Room Tip: ask for the third floor better views of Lake Superior
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here a few times over the years and everytime has been enjoyable. The hotel is in walking distance to great restaurants and shops. The pool spa area is very well maintained, and very relaxing after enjoying the outdoors. We do not spend alot of time in the rooms, clean and comfortable is all we expect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a night in late October. A very nice place to stay. Rooms were clean, front desk staff efficient and welcoming. Rooms are reasonable in size. Ours had a great view. That is the reason to stay here. The one negative is the bed. Mattresses are hard and pillows need replacing. Bedding was also a bit scratchy. A small investment would make this place an excellent spot.

• Stayed October 2012
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Aspen Lodge the last time we were in Grand Marais and honeymooned at Terrace Point, which is under the same management, a few months earlier. Terrace Point was extraordinary!! A quiet condo with incredible natural light and an eat-out balcony overlooking Lake Superior. It was the perfect place to honeymoon! Aspen Lodge is also a great place to stay. The lobby where breakfast is served also has plenty of natural light, which helps me wake up in the morning and is a nice place to sit and get some work done. The shore, co-op, and shops are only a couple blocks away. The room was clean and comfortable, though we mostly used it to rest between our outdoor adventures and socializing. We aren't ones to go on vacation just to watch TV in the hotel room, and after our biking and hiking excursions, we so appreciated the hot tub!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Meredith O
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have stayed at the Aspen Lodge on my last two trips to Grand Maris. I found the rooms comfortable and the staff very nice to deal with. We stayed in a room with two queen beds, on the lower level. The room was typical for hotels in this category--nothing spectacular but perfectly adequate. While I find the style of the carpet and upholstery to be a bit dated, I did not see any of the kinds of problems that some recent reviewers mentioned.

I found the lobby attractive and pleasant. The continental breakfast is modest--mostly cereal, pastries and juice. If you are looking for a hearty breakfast, check out one of the great greasy spoon cafes a few blocks from the hotel. I think of the breakfast offerings in the lobby as a snack before heading out the door.

The swimming pool, hot tub and sauna are nice amenities. I really enjoyed a soak in the hot tub after a long bike ride up and down Hwy 61 on a cold, rainy day.

As one reviewer pointed out, the hotel is not IN downtown. It is a few blocks away, and there are no sidewalks for some of that distance. But there is also nearly zero auto traffic. It is a couple block walk to the lake shore and just a few blocks more to the center of downtown. I can imagine being upset about this if you arrive thinking that the downtown shops and cafes will be right out your door, but as long as you are expecting to walk a few blocks, it is just fine.

The staff at Aspen Lodge is wonderful. I felt truly welcomed by the manager and had all of my questions and concerns addressed promptly and courteously. In reading some of the negative reviews here, I can only imagine that many of these guests did not bother to check in with the staff. I found the staff ready and willing to address anything that came up. Like one of the other reviewers, I also had a problem with our room key. I went to the desk, and the manager came down to help me. It turns out that I was putting the key in the door wrong--completely my own mistake. If the manager was tired of answering this question for the fifty-thousandth time this summer, she did not let on at all. Her concern was clearly on me as a guest and on my stay being a pleasant one for me. Really, if you have a problem, just ask (nicely) and these folks will take care of you.

As a born cheapskate, I do find the room prices high during the summer, but they are exactly in line with every other hotel in town. I have not seen a better room for a better price so close to downtown and to the Lake.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
#6 of 10 in Grand Marais
Aspen Inn
Aspen Inn
#8 of 10 in Grand Marais

Been to Aspen Lodge? Share your experiences!