“Best breakfast ever!”

The Pie Place
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: When it comes to our famous pies or our amazing breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus the secret is simple - our first ingredient is always love! We are a family-owned restaurant that has proudly served up gourmet home-cooking and a warm atmosphere on the North Shore of Lake Superior since 1996. Our bakery boasts an extensive selection of berry pies, cream pies, and specialty pies, alongside cookies and cakes and other seasonal desserts! Pies are baked daily entirely from scratch using all of the best available ingredients to ensure a flavor unlike any other. But at The Pie Place Café, we're about more than just pies! Locals and visitors alike enjoy our summer breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. We've been called the best breakfast on the North Shore and it's not hard to see why with our popular Maple Sausage Patties, omelets, and pancakes. Our lunch and supper menus feature favorites like the Black Bear Blueberry Salad and Three Meat Maple Meatloaf - hands down the best meatloaf we've ever tried! Whether you're joining us for one of our namesake pies or an unforgettable Pie Place Café dinner, we look forward to making you feel right at home.
Reviewed August 6, 2014

This place has got the very best breakfast our family has ever had! The cheeses breakfast potatoes are to die for and the maple sausage party's are the best! (Not the links). If they sold the party's and potatoes I would buy them to take home! Mentioned this when we were out sailing on the lake and the local guys knew right away what I was talking about. YUM I look forward to this breakfast each visit to the area!

2  Thank harleytravels
There are newer reviews for The Pie Place

Reviewed August 3, 2014

The Pie Place Café is located across the street from the Lake Superior beach. The day that we stopped for lunch just happened to be the day of the Dragon Boat Races, so along with our lunch, we got to enjoy some entertainment from our table by the window. My friend and I split the huge turkey club sandwich, which came with pickles and kettle chips. It was very tasty. Although we didn't have any pie, the display case right behind our table was full of delicious looking pies. We thought $12 was a little pricey for a sandwich, but at least it was a nice lunch. The restaurant was neat and clean and our server was pleasant and attentive. I would stop there again, if ever in the area.

1  Thank stars4me
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We ate dinner and had the fish and chips - herring from Lake Superior and the Canadian Walleye. Both were great! My son hadn't ever had walleye or herring - he enjoyed both. Also, went for breakfast the next morning - the strawberry syrup in the homemade ginger ale was wonderful! as was the blueberry pancake with local organic maple syrup!

1  Thank Bensfamily
Reviewed August 2, 2014

This harbor view dining spot has improved year by year. Service improvements are positive, can still be slow and will need to ask for the bill and for it to be pickup and processed. Food is consistently well prepared and presented in an appealing fashion. My favorites are crab cakes, the unique meatloaf, and the salad sampler also the radish dill soup. Pies are done with a crust that is light and flaky all the time. Home-made breads have taste and crumb that is subtle and light, the crust is fine and not overly hard. Can be a pricey meal but opportunity to linger is fine, not rushed and not loud.

1  Thank PMA6642
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

On July 20th, a friend of mine and I were in Grand Marais preparing for a week-long trip to the Boundary Waters. While we were preparing, we decided to visit The Pie Place. We ate supper there on July 20th and breakfast on July 21st.

With a name like "The Pie Place", you'd expect the restaurant to feature only pies, but this was also a diner and cafe.

Outwardly, the shop looks very "mom and pop"-- not like a franchise-- and inside the decorations and atmosphere are very home and plain . We were seated at a table for two at the window. After reviewing the menu and being served by very courteous, sharp and intelligent Romanian summer workers, we ordered the chicken pot pie.

The front windows offered an excellent view for people-watching, seagulls, harbor sailboats and the famous "Artists Point". The vast and majestic Lake Superior is right there in all its glory.

The shop wasn't very busy being a Sunday evening, but people were still out and about stopping in for dinner or pie and coffee.

The place looked like it would feature a very country-style chicken pot pie and this sounded delicious to both of us. We were a little surprised to discover that although it came garnished beautifully, its taste was a little strong in French spices and a little weak on its wholesome vegetables and gravy. The chicken pot pie came served a large bowl which at first I thought it was perfectly natural, however after I began to eat it, I discovered it was very difficult with a fork. I was able to finish my meal but my friend could not due to the strength of the spice. I'd love a chance to sample some other menu items before making a hasty call on this one.

For dessert we chose to split a slice of bumbleberry pie. I was slightly worried since I have high sensitivity to corn syrup compotes thickened with cornstarch. The pie was a little thin on the fruit but the crust was marvelous. I did react to the pie later. Nothing serious. Overall the price was reasonable the service was great-- good enough for us to return the next morning for breakfast before we hit the trail.

I apologize in advance because sometimes I can be a bit demanding in my breakfast reviews: I used to be a breakfast cook. I like to look for value at breakfast time since most breakfast ingredients are so inexpensive. We each ordered one egg, one pancake and one sausage from an adorably cute waitress. This seemed to be about the best value on the menu. The meal was reasonable and it tasted great but you won't find free pancakes at The Pie Place.

1  Thank Jeb6kids