“A Grand Marais staple!”

Angry Trout Cafe
Ranked #6 of 34 Restaurants in Grand Marais
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are the Angry Trout Café, serving local fresh ingredients. We do not allow animals.
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Fresh, tasty ingredients and a beautiful view of the water make this a must-visit for every summer trip to Grand Marais. Sit outside when it's sunny and beautiful, and enjoy the tractor-seat converted chairs. The salad with grilled fish on top is my favorite - beautiful veggies - shredded carrots, beets, mixed greens, maybe a strawberry! You'll find MN wine and beer on the menu (I'd stick with the beer, personally) as well as sodas. The service is sometimes a bit harried - it's busy during the summer - but it's worth it!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We drove 1800 miles to be here to celebrate my 65th B-day. I drive a wheelchair van.I have LGMD and use a power-chair to get around. Parked at the only level spot in front of the cafe, deployed my ramp and went in. Within 5 minutes the hostess returned and said we couldn't park there-no explanation. Our calm response didn't improve her move it attitude. My wife moved the van, we ordered our food then ate in what we would call the Bermuda Triangle. No further interaction until check-out. I suppose Minnesota nice took a day off?

1  Thank Dale O
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Beautiful setting on the harbor, great food, friendly service. We have heard about this place and never been there. We had to wait for lunch at 2 P. M., and almost didn't stay. Glad we did!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have never had a disappointing meal here until this past weekend. I ordered one of the soup specials "chicken chili" - maybe it's just me, but I was surprised that a broth-based soup could be called "chili." It would have been more appropriately named chicken tortilla soup, even though it had very little chicken, mainly garden veggie flavor which was tasty but not what I was expecting on this cold and rainy afternoon. In addition, this "cup" of "chili" (soup) was a standard mug with a scanty serving that barely came halfway up to the mug. Not wanting to embarrass the waiter right there on the spot in front of my 3 dining partners, I let it go. But it was a paltry serving for $5.00. Glad I didn't order the "bowl." Also, the artichoke bruschetta was overpriced. Very airy white bread with a slight brushing of salty, onion-tasting, barely visible artichoke. I will stick to the salads here in the future. This place has become over-priced...nice location and view, but there are other places in town that have that as well.

1  Thank janemarieh
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Recommended by a local resident. We were not disappointed! Limited menu but very worth it, everything was homemade including the salad dressings. Get there early it's small and always very busy.