“Great service! Great atmosphere!”
Review of Gunflint Tavern

Gunflint Tavern
Ranked #14 of 36 Restaurants in Grand Marais
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast
Description: Full service bar and restaurant, open year-round, Live Music 250 nights a year, rooftop bar overlooking the harbor, Eclectic/Ethnic Menu
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Unique food menu with great drinks! Local music...friendly staff...Dick was a fun bartender. Mushroom raviolli tasty & can't go wrong w/ guac n blue chips! Can't wait to stop again on my way north!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

In the last year, I have visited the Gunflint Tavern two times on separate vacations to the Grand Marais area. Both times were excellent, for very different reasons.
My first evening at the Gunflint was a purely beverage related experience. Myself and my wife stopped by after dinner at Chez Jude, up the street. We sat down at a table and received prompt service in getting several beverages. I would say the atmosphere feels like an upscale tavern, with large picture windows overlooking the harbor, and the requisite amount of dark wood and bar paraphernalia on the walls. The Gunflint Tavern has a very good selection of beer on tap, as well as a full bar, which we found to make potent drinks. After a while sitting in the tavern, we made our way up to the Raven's Nest bar on the roof of the building. There was live music playing, an open air bar (which makes even stiffer drinks), and a view of the harbor. An excellent way to spend an August evening.
Trip number two was in February of 2013 with our two young kids and my parents. We sat by one of the windows and all ordered food and drinks. Service was attentive, and our waitress was happy to make recommendations, which was appreciated. The beer selection was still strong, with many local and national craft brews represented.
I ordered the bangers and mash, as my parents have been recommending it for years. It did not disappoint, a very warming meal on a cold winter's day (after ice skating with the kids). I also had a cup of some kind of fish soup which was nice. Not as flavorful as the bangers and mash, but still tasty. My wife got the mushroom ravioli, which looked appealing on the plate, but which she stated was just "ok". Our children got a meat, cheese, and fruit plate to share, which is the perfect meal for them, as they like simple flavors and the ability to mix and match things.
After we cleared our plates and the sun was setting, we left the Gunflint Tavern warm and happy, ready to make the drive back to our cabin in the woods. I would recommend the Gunflint Tavern for their friendly service, tasty food, and excellent drinks. In my experience, you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

As a beer buff and amature brewer I found this bar/resturant to exceed my expectations. Tons of beer on tap with a bartender who can explain each and every one of them. I am a fan of fried food which is NOT on the menu so if you are looking for a basket of fries or the like this place may not be for you. The menu is spectacular though and I have yet to be dissapointed. I highly recomend the bangors and mash with a guiness. Also the live music on the weekends brings some pop to this otherwise quiet town.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Gunflint Tavern sits directly across main street from Lake Superior. On a snowy evening in mid-March I walked in the door and live music was playing, patrons were enjoying eclectic food, and I sat myself down at the bar as a solo traveler. The bartender helped me select a beer from the extensive menu and I settled in. The music, comprised of a very talented trio of men with local ties, provided the perfect backdrop for the evening. While the crowd that night appeared to be primarily middle aged couples from the Twin Cities interspersed with some locals, I had a wonderful conversation with a young gentleman who had been snowboarding down the road in Lutsen. As the night wore on, I looked outside the large picture window to see several people constructing a snowman. It was a lovely way to spend a late winter evening in Grand Marais.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had never been here an my girlfriend insisted we go. It was worth it. Great beer selection. The bartender was very entertaining. The French onion soup was very good. I ended the night with an Iron Butterfly ( Kahlua, baileys, vodka). At the bartenders suggestion.