“Really good pizza! ”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

This is one of those places you need to stop at in town. The thick crust is where it's at. Would be nice if there were some outdoor seating, but the inside is somewhat charming.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

We stopped at Sven and Ole's based on a recommendation: "If you're driving up the north shore, you have to stop at Sven and Ole's". So we did. Ordering didn't seem to go smoothly: the young man behind the counter was not able to answer questions like what was in the sandwiches and what was on certain pizzas. Maybe these are uncommon questions or maybe it was just the summer staff breaking in, but by the time we were sitting, we weren't entirely sure if we had ordered what we wanted. When the food arrived, everything was fine. In fact, the very friendly waitress brought me two slices of pizza because "the slices were a little small". Looked like two big slices to me, so no complaints there.

The pizza is a little idiosyncratic. The crust is thick and a little spongy. The sauce a little sweet. A little light on the cheese. A close comparison would be the Garcia's Pizza slices people who live or went to college in Champaign/Urbana might know. It was very good, really hit the spot, but some pizza purists might find it a bit odd.

The dining area was lively and had lots of local flair on the walls. It was a a good stop, worth visiting again the next time we pass through Grand Marais

Reviewed August 23, 2014

We have been here before and knew the food was good and we weren't disappointed. Very easy walk from our hotel and other shops.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

To be fair, I have been going to this place for a decade or more. I went this past weekend with my boyfriend, and both of us felt that something had changed in the pizzas, but we couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I for one felt that they skimped on the sauce this time, along with the cheese. Our Meat-za consisted of mostly meat with just a pinch of cheese to fuse the meat toppings together. For the hefty price of $25 for a 16", this was disappointing this year.

I will still come back and hopefully this was just a one time event. But i seriously hope that they hadn't changed their ingredients or formula, because I might have to give up on Ole' Sven & Oles.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Great northern touch! We stop here everytime we go to Grand Marais. Quaint, casual place that you order at a counter and take a cup with your number on it to the table, grab some cutlery on the way and watch sports or answer trivia on the tv. Pizzas are AWESOME!! Thin crust and large are great! Busy and casual but never feel rushed to leave. Soft drinks and families on the main floor and small bar upstairs. Hard workers and run like crazy because I've seen this place mid summer and mid winter and always busy...there is a reason.