“Fun, family friendly pizza and ice cream”

Sven and Ole's Pizza
Ranked #11 of 34 Restaurants in Grand Marais
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
“Fun, family friendly pizza and ice cream”
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

You see their bumper stickers all over Minnesota and I always wondered if it really was somewhere 'special'. We've been there 3-4 times in the past several years and the place was the same this week as it was the first time. You step up to a counter to order and then go sit down in a room decorated with sporting/camping/outdoors memorabilia significant to life in northern Minnesota. Pizza arrives within about 15 minutes, very hot and yummy. All the traditional choices and some fun house-specialty combinations.
My opinion is that it's special in its simplicity and is a safe bet for a good meal without breaking the bank. Very casual atmosphere.
Beer is available and there's an upstairs bar. Fun trivia nights on Thursdays.

Thunder Bay, Canada
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

It was our first visit and will probably be our last. We ordered a "chefs salad" which was actually very tasty and fresh. However when we got our hoagies that was a different story. I ordered the chicken/bacon/ranch and it was a mushy mess. The chicken breast was diced and mixed with bacon bits, tomatoes/onion and cheese. However it had way too much ranch dressing to the point it made the entire sandwich a mushy mess. I only managed to eat half so then I scraped everything off and just ate the bun. My husband ordered a meatball hoagie which could not be picked up and eaten, he had to eat it with a knife and fork however he said it was tasty. Honestly, I don't think we'll be back.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank akaent
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Wild Rice on Pizza”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Sat in the back bar. The bartender was real nice. We stopped in for beers one night and had beer and pizza the next. They put wild rice on some of their pizzas which is a nice change. The pizza was good. If I'm in Grad Marais and want Pizza again, I would go back.

Visited December 2012
Plymouth, Minnesota
“Great Pizza”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We've been to Grand Marias many times. I'm Italian and my husband is Norwegain and Sweedish, soon our first visit we stopped at Sven and Ole's. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting good pizza there. I was completely WRONG ! Not only is it good pizzam it's great pizza. My Italian family lived in Brooklyn and Queens NY and living in Minnesota, it's not easy finding REAL pizza that tastes as good as New York pizza. Sven and Ole's comes very close. Whenever we spend time in Grand Marias, we stop at Sven and Ole's without fail.

Visited June 2012
Northern Minnesota
“Of course...where else in Grand Marais?”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

You just have to have pizza or some of their other delights if for no other reason than to get their bumper sticker. Seriously, the food is good, it's conveniently located and wonderful staff...they deliver, too.

Visited May 2012