“Old-Fashioned Cafe”

South of the Border Cafe
Ranked #18 of 34 Restaurants in Grand Marais
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The SOB (as it is known locally) is Grand Marais's town breakfast-lunch gathering place. It's a 'Sixties kind of cafe, with plastic bench seats, and picture windows looking out on the town and Highway 61. I've been going there with my family for a decade, ever since we bought property outside of town. Sometimes one needs a respite from the newer hipster-yuppie tourist restaurants in town, and this is the place to get it. The food is typical cafe fare, but prepared fresh and served with a smile.

There are newer reviews for South of the Border Cafe

Reviewed June 11, 2013

For a reasonably and fairly priced breakfast in Grand Marais, this is the place. Food is quickly served, well prepared and tasty. I am told that this is the breakfast destination for locals and you will not go wrong here. Recommended.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is a good place for a simple breakfast, nothing out of the ordinary. Seems to be place that town people go to.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I eat here every chance I get for breakfast. Very basic and well cooked. Just what I want when I get a day off to relax in this beautiful little town.

Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I can't believe this place isn't getting more trip advisor love, Yes it's very simple fare. But everything they do they do consistently and well. We're residents and it's our goto place for a working breakfast, the place is always filled with a diversity of local flavor and the staff is attentive and genuine.Theres no kitschy pretentiousness to be seen or felt. It's a great place to observe the rythims of daily grand Marais life. And the prices can't be beat.