“The Best Eastern BWCA outfitter out there”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Way of the Wilderness
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I have been using the Way of the Wilderness outfitters for over ten years. It's been the same friendly people this whole time. They are super knowledgable on the lakes in the area and there canoe prices can't be beat. Often times we will pay for them to ferry us out to some particular island in lake Saganaga. One of the most majestic areas in MN well worth the time driving up and definetly the place to outfit your expedition. The cafe' is really good especially after a week of campfire food.

Room Tip: You may be happy just camping at the state park campgrounds nearby.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Way of the Wilderness
Reviewed December 12, 2010

Way of the Wilderness is located on the edge of the Boundary Waters and in the middle of Superior National Forest, at the end of the famous and beautiful Gunflint Trail, a few miles south of the Canada border.

WOW partially outfitted my canoe trip into the Boundary Waters this summer. It's a family-run operation, as many of these lodges are. The Darling family is very friendly. I didn't stay at one of the cabins, but I did get a chance to interact with both the father (Bud) and son (Mark), a volunteer firefighter.

I was concerned that, because I only rented a single canoe from them, and not all the extras, that I might be treated differently. But not so. They did their best to meet my requests and work with me through the permitting process. My crew of three was given complimentary coffee on the morning of our departure into the woods.

We stayed at the Trail's End Campground, which is owned by the National Forest, but is actually operated by Way of the Wilderness. WOW is located right next to the Seagull Lake entry point into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. WOW is also licensed station for entry permits. They will drop canoes off at the canoe launch at no extra charge, as it is a very short drive.

If I had a complaint, it's that they don't have the state-issued machines for fishing licenses, so come prepared. The lodge kitchen serves up a decent breakfast and cup of coffee, and the store's office has a gift shop/general store. The prices are what you would expect for a remote location (high).

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends