“I Love It!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Clearwater Historic Lodge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas
“I Love It!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

I've been to the Clearwater Lake Lodge twice. I love the lodge, and I love the lake. Adam, Kasey, Erik, and Gloria will take good care of you, whether you're renting a cabin or gearing-up to head into the Boundary Waters. They will assist you whether you're an experienced traveler of the Boundary Waters, or brand new to the experience (like me). Here are a few recommendations for you. First, be sure to have breakfast at the lodge. Gloria prepares home-cooked breakfast for you. Breakfast is a great time to converse with fellow travelers about their experiences. After I leave the lodge, I miss Gloria's breakfast. (If you're staying at the lodge, breakfast is included.) Second, be sure to sample Gloria's baking. Everything she makes is delectable. I especially like her mixed berry pie. If you're new to canoeing, and renting a canoe, get one of the lighter-weight ones. They are the easiest to paddle and to portage. Just talk to Kasey and Adam - they'll get you headed in the right direction. :-)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Granite Bay, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I visited this lodge this past summer and had a great visit. We stayed for about a week and were in the main lodge upstairs in a suite. The accommodations are rustic but beautiful and the owners and staff are very friendly. The breakfast that came with staying in the main lodge was excellent and the lodge has a nice little gift shop that includes everything from T-shirts to bandaids and soda. Clearwater lake is beautiful and very uncrowded. We would definitely recommend the Clearwater Lodge if you are looking for a quiet and comfortable visit with nature. One note - do not count on a internet connection, it was essentially not usable most of the time were there.

Revillo sd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Three of us rented a canoe from Clearwater Lodge for a 5 day trip. We stayed in a bunkhouse the night before we started the adventure. We woke up in the morning and ate a great breakfast before we started paddling. The last day we also stayed in the bunkhouse before the long drive home the next day. We were ready for a hot shower! The fishing was great. We ate fish every night for supper. There is a lot of history with Clearwater Lodge. We really enjoyed visiting with Adam and his family. They are a young hardworking couple living the dream of being self employed owning their own business. I especially respect the way they want to raise their kids playing outside, enjoying the outdoors. We don't see enough of this anymore. This is the 3rd boundary waters trip, first at Clearwater. We will be a repeat customer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Burt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We enjoyed our stay very much. We rented cabin 3(very charming original log cabin right on the water) for a week and had a very relaxing week. The place has a way of making you feel like you have your own little piece of heaven. Staff was very accomidating. Air was good and water is sooo very clear. Enjoyed canoeing fishing and rock hunting.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

We bookended our Boundary Waters trip with two nights in the Charlie Room of the B&B, and rented a canoe from the outfitter to take to the BWCA. The building is gorgeous--we loved learning about the history of the lodge and the Gunflint Trail. We also enjoyed the wide selection of games. The Clearwater crew is hospitable, kind, and extremely helpful, and they cook an unbelievably delicious breakfast that was included in our stay. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Charlie room and it was very comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I spent my first 28 years in Minnesota and unfortunately left for work in Texas. Been back to southern part to see family over the past 14 years, but my son was born in Texas has hasn't really got to see all the beauty. My son and I went up in early August and spent two days in the bed and breakfast rooms in the lodge. It was a great father and son experience that neither of us will forget. He was amazed at how green and lively everything was and was impressed with the fresh air and clear water. He out fished me up their with a few nice smallmouth bass and a really nice trout at a nearby river. We were both amazed at the evening sky. I always hear about how great the sky is in Texas, but without any city lights within miles and a fresh cool night, not much can compare to the beauty of northern Minnesota. As for the lodge, it was everything I was hoping for and more. It was a peaceful retreat, without all the garbage of the big city. We haven't slept so well in years. I am terrible with names, but the couple that run the lodge were wonderful. They gave us fishing tips and directed us toward some beautiful sites and scenery. The breakfast was absolutely amazing. Sunrise, sunset amazing. When I picture heaven in my head, this place will be there!

1 Thank Buster6999
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

This is the epitome of a glorious north woods lodge. The building's heritage is fantastic, and the original owner's granddaughter bakes the bread made in the 1920s. An awesome stay and we will return!

• Stayed September 2013