“Great Place,Great Times”
Review of Cross River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Cross River Lodge
Reviewed October 5, 2011

You would have to be the world's biggest curmudgeon not to like this place.Beautiful scereny eveywhere you look, great fishing,comfy rooms and two of the most friendy hosts you will ever find, John & Rose. Plenty to do but also a awesome place to relax and chill out. Great breakfast in the morning, they even had hand picked local wild blueberries. If you're lucky you may even be treated to one of Jon & Rose's impromptu BBQs. Rumour has it that a local moose liked the place so much he requested in his will that when he died he wanted to be stuffed and placed in the lodge. Unfortunately he was a poor moose and could only afford to have his head stuffed. That's it above the fireplace.

Room Tip: I wasnt inside the cabins but my favorite room in the lodge is the Cross River Suite.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 1, 2011

My husband, the pooch and I (okay, the mutt didn't get a vote) decided on a somewhat spur of the moment getaway and lucked out in being able to get in - mid week - to Cross River Lodge. We couldn't have done better if we'd planned months in advance. This was our first trip to the North Woods and oh my we'll be back - and we'll stay at Cross River next time too. John and Rose couldn't be better hosts, the location is wonderful, cabin was great... really nothing not to like. Oh and John makes a mean chicken noodle soup!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We stayed in one of the cabins for a wedding that was being held across the lake. Our hosts were charming and the cabin wonderful. Hope to come back next summer with more family for a week instead of a weekend.

Room Tip: Get groceries in Grand Marias before coming...not too much around to purchase.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan C
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Cross River Lodge was highly recommended to us by dear & trusted friends!!! Little did we know when we made our reservations, the phenomenal destination of the Gunflint trial, we had been directed to!
Until you actually see the Cross River Lodge spectacular views and experience the tranquility & beauty of Gunflint lake and woods... meet the charming & outgoing hosts- John & Rose and Paula and Doug-who do everything to make your trip incredibly memorable... and you have moved into one of the charming and spic and span clean cabins-do you realize..... you have arrived at an incredible destination!!!
And your "stay" is just beginning!!
We had an unexpected health emergency during our stay . Doug, Paula, John and Rose were immediately with us...handling everything calmly and efficiently..and making us feel like family members!! We were so grateful to be with these amazing and warm hearted new friends (and family members) !!! :-)
We loved the warm and cozy lounge with the beautiful stone fireplace!! What a great place to curl up with a good book on a cool day or just to sit and contemplate the strong, courageous
people who settled in this area so many years ago. Be sure to look at the interesting photo book holding beautiful old pictues of the area & settlers. If you need or want any suggestions of where to go..what to see...if you want to hear some good "animal stories" or "fish" stories...ask John, Rose, Paula or Doug. We talked to a someone who had caught a 39 inch/18 pound northern the day before we arrived in Gunflint! They are always available to asnwer your questions...meet your needs for extra towels (or whatever) or direct you to one of the many local sights!
The cabins are charming...very very clean and well stocked for anything you might need! More then eough pillows for each bed...pots, pans and a beautiful grill for the steaks or chicken you might bring or the fish you might catch!! If your lucky..you might get to try some of John & Rose's special " Pig in a Polka" spice!!! Fabulous!!!!!
We can't wait till we're able to return next year!!! Hope to see you there!!!!

Room Tip: Tell them what you need...they'll provide it!! Also preview the beautiful rooms on their web si...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Johhhhn, Owner at Cross River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

Thanks for your kind review. We are so sorry you had a medical emergency up here during your visit. We are so thankful that we have an excellent volunteer fire and medical response team in the area that provided you with some fast and very good care. We are all hoping for a quick recovery so you can come back to visit us again on the Gunflint!

Reviewed September 9, 2011

I spent two days at the Cross River Lodge as a part of a 10-day road trip through the north woods. In retrospect, I wish I had spent my entire trip there! John and Rose are fabulous hosts. They pointed me to some terrific hikes and local attractions that were perfect for my limited time in the area, and went out of their way to make sure I had a pleasant visit. I stayed in the Angler Suite. The room was *very* comfortable -- nicely decorated, with a true "north woods" feel. I enjoyed sipping my morning coffee on the deck overlooking Gunflint Lake; turned out to be a good place for an evening glass of wine, too.

I travel quite a bit for both business and pleasure; Cross River Lodge is one of my all-time favorite places to stay. I hope to make a return trip -- sooner rather than later. And I might even bring my husband along the next time!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Our friends recommended Cross River Lodge and said, "you will absolutely love the place and everyone that works there (and owners)." Our friends were right, our vacation there was one of the best we've ever had! My two kids and I went kayaking, swimming, hiking, blueberry picking, fishing, and boating....and of course, spent lots of time relaxing. The free continental breakfast (in the lodge) was great and we loved having the lodge as a place to stop and relax, have a fresh baked cookie, or watch the big screen tv.
The cabin was spotless, beds are comfortable, and they provided all the supplies (towels, toilet paper, soap, as well as a fully stocked kitchen).
To give you an example of how nice the people there are - my son was fishing off the dock and I was in the cabin. His line got tangled in something and he didn't want to cut the line because it was his favorite lure. The handyman, Doug, jumped into a kayak and got the lure free for my son. My son couldn't stop talking about "how awesome everyone is."
We love Cross River Lodge and may try and go twice next year!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We brought our nieces and nephew (ages 4, 9 and 12) with us. The staff was great. John and Rose were very personable and bent over backwards to make sure we had everything we needed (i.e. ice, cookies, movies/games/books for the kids). We stayed in the Chippewa Suite. It was very clean and nicely decorated with "up north" decor. We had a great view of the lake off of our deck - the moon reflecting off the lake at night is breath taking! The lake temperature was in the mid 70s and the kids had a great time swimming at a sandy beach that John and Rose recommended just down the road from the lodge. The kids loved playing with Roxy - a dog owned by one of the staff that loves to fetch. The freshly picked blueberries that were served for breakfast were wonderful. We checked a lot of lodges out along the Gunflint trail before coming here and we were very happy with the choice we made. We will be back!

Kim & Tim