“Not "mangy" at all!”
Review of Mangy Moose Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Mangy Moose Motel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Grand Marais
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 18, 2012

If there's one thing the Mangy Moose ain't – it's mangy. This roadside motel in Grand Marais MN has been thoughtfully renovated. It's very very clean, and everything is seems new. Excellent wifi service for those of us who need to "check in" at home. The linens were softer than some I've had at four star hotels. And the price is really reasonable. The queen bed was comfortable and we slept pretty well. The only downside to this very cute place is the road noise -- it's quiet during the night, but the trucks rumble by early in the morning. On the upside -- #8 had windows on both sides for cross ventilation, which was good because most places in this neck of the woods don't have a/c -- and it was warm during the day.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kristink_10

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Clean, comfortable and priced right ! Right off Hwy 61, the Mangy Moose is a real value. Our 2 queen bed unit was simply decorated, super clean and tidy, with updates just where you appreciate them the most. Nice wall mounted flat screen TV, great linens, and "right to the front door" parking. All within walking distance to shopping and dining in Grand Marais. If there was any downside it would be that there is no AC in the rooms and we just happen to be there on a very hot and humid day. The room did however have a ceiling fan and a table fan so we did OK sleeping but AC would have been nice. However, AC is hardly ever necessary in this neck of the woods and even most of the stores don't have it.
I love the Mangy Moose and will definitely be back !

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank gnittat
Reviewed July 13, 2012

If your looking for comfort, clean and a great location at a reasonable price. Your in the right place. Then add the
Friendly staff and owners and your in for a treat. From the first email and threw the visit. I felt we were welcomed like astray at a b&b.
This is a special place!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank swellstyle
Reviewed June 18, 2012

There's plenty to appreciate at the Mangy Moose, which so doesn't deserve to have that first word in its title. My cute room was spotless, and so were the grounds of this vintage-but-remade roadside motel. The bed was comfortable, the towels were plentiful and the owners were as nice and as accommodating as can be. The price was shockingly low, half the price of the (so-so) hotel I'd stayed in Duluth the night before, and the Moose is a two-minute walk to World's Best Donuts, another reason to stay. Two caveats: the wi-fi was frustratingly spotty at best, and the view isn't much: more SuperAmerica than Lake Superior.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Rick N
Reviewed June 10, 2012

A wonderful Mom and Pop kind of motel. Very friendly owners. The room was updated and super clean! (Only very minor negative was we could hear the people talking in the room next to us.) Within easy walking distance to downtown Grand Marais. Next year we will definitely stay at the Mangy Moose again.

Room Tip: The owner told all the rooms had been recently been updated. We stayed in room 8.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GregBFargoND
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Memorial weekend, and a longing to see Lake Superior, caused us to set our sights on Grand Marais. The "Moose" caught my eye on the web because our dog is named Moose, and they welcome dogs with open arms. We arrived while the owners were out to dinner,and were greeted with a personal note on the door directing us to our room for the weekend. Room #4 had a double bed, and a single bed with a small frig, microwave and a clean bathroom with shelves to put toiletries. Even though we were conveniently right off Hwy. 61, I didn't notice highway noise, and we were just two blocks from the downtown shops and restaurants.

You will hear some noise from next door rooms, although their policy reminds people to think about their noise level and think of those sleeping next door so we had courteous, quite neighbors. Dave and Don were welcoming and even had treats our Moose. A great home base for day trips to Grand Portage, and Superior hiking trail.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms allow dogs.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jpociengel
Reviewed May 21, 2012

During my extended weekend in Grand Marais, I wanted a motel that was my 'base camp,' the place I could comfortably retreat after wandering through town and hiking the Gunflint trails. The "Moose" was perfect. It was cozy and warm (well-heated on the chilly nights), and walking distance from everywhere in town. I had a fridge, microwave, wi-fi, and work table, everything I needed when I retired to my room for the evening. I slept like a baby at night; no noise from the highway bothered me. My second day there, I ran into one of the owners who asked me how I slept. How often does that happen? He also suggested trying the delicious hash browns at a local breakfast spot and I was delighted he did. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
#7 of 10 in Grand Marais
Gunflint Lodge & Outfitters
Gunflint Lodge & Outfitters
#5 of 32 in Grand Marais

Been to Mangy Moose Motel? Share your experiences!