“Think twice for cold weather” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Trailside Cabins and Motel

Trailside Cabins and Motel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Trailside Cabins and Motel
You added Trailside Cabins and Motel to your Saves list
Minnesota
“Think twice for cold weather”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was not expecting luxury and certainly not paying for it, but I was disappointed that the cabin was so cold. Without insulation or storm windows, the tiny baseboard heater, partially obscured by the bed, could not pump out enough heat to get the cabin above 56 degrees by the last night I stayed there. Was it the unseasonably cold spell in early October? This is way far northern Minnesota after all. It's to be expected. The cabin was fine otherwise for a solo traveler. Just couldn't stay warm!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank France4you

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Eagle, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our stay in Trailside Cabins was the perfect getaway. The couple that run this place are the best and very hard workers. The place was nice and cozy, it enhance the whole experience staying in Grand Marais. I will sure come back again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I thought the cabins were very cute and comfortable. They don't give you cleaning service during your stay, but I was completely fine with that. I liked the windows everywhere; I like the room to be quite cool while I sleep, and leaving them open was a great option. We (my boyfriend and I and our cat) stayed in the #2 Tiny Tim, which was a little small but lots of storage if you need it. I really loved the feel, and the bed was SUPER comfortable after long days spent hiking. My only complaint is that there is no internet. What can I say, I'm from that generation! But truthfully speaking, it would have helped out a lot, as there were times we needed directions and had no way of obtaining them without internet. But otherwise, wonderful stay!

Room Tip: If you're trying to pick sizes, go for the larger one. There's not much of a price differenc...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Taylor D
Park Falls, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

After having stayed at a couple other Mom and Pop motels during the week, we had one night left and no reservations. We made a few stops (one priced too high; one couldn't find the owner) before stopping at the Trailside. It was a great choice. The owner's son greeted us and immediately let his dad know that we were here for a cabin. Dad came out and was very personable and accommodating. We were in cabin #16. Charming is the best word to describe it. No air conditioning - which isn't usually needed in Grand Marais - but great air circulation with awesome windows on all sides. There was a seasonal cabin odor, but it wasn't mildewy or anything - in fact, it was very clean and well kept. The bathroom was very small and the shower extremely small (so if you're a big person keep this in mind ;o). Plenty of television channels - no phone. The kitchen was well supplied for a cabin. The bedroom was very small, but the bed was comfortable and the quilt was great. Oh yes! If you think you entered a quilt shop rather than a motel office...STAY - you're in the right place. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristyn Dave T
Twin Cities
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed in Kari's cabin, more like a studio apartment, and it was very comfortable. It rained for 2 of our 4 days there. Great selection of TV channels and good rainy day things to do in the area. The only complaint I have is that the Lake Trail was a little harder to maneuver than I thought, but I don't think they're really responsible for that.

Room Tip: Their website doesn't seem to have a property map, so if you go, you're kinda guessing what...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Milesb1213
Larimore, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed at Trailside one night in early June. Our motel room was really more cabin style, but that is what we wanted in the first place. We got rooms 14 and 15. Very unique layout, they took two rooms and connected them with a door that closes. In one half there is a queen bed, small table dresser and the bathroom. In the other half there are two twin beds (excellent for traveling with a girl/boy teenage combination!!) a smaller tv, dresser, and they converted the bathroom on that side to a small kitchen, with a small fridge, microwave and sink. Ideal for family travel!! I wish more places would make this kind of combo room. It gave the kids seperate beds, us parents some privacy, and the kitchen was great for heating up leftover from supper the night before for breakfast! The rooms were quiet clean and comfortable. The quilts made the rooms look so cozy. My only (very mild) complaint might be the old carpet, but it was clean, and in a cabin who cares, I was just glad it HAD carpet, I hate wooden floors. Our room rate for this combo was only 82$, a great price for Saturday night in a tourism area.

Room Tip: If you have teenagers this room combo is awesome!!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sonadorcat
Circle Pines, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed at 2 different cabins at trailside from Aug 11 and Aug 15 (2 nites in each). We were in # 16 for the first two nites and # 5 the last two. The only real difference between the two cabins is cabin # 16 has a separate bedroom (# 5 is a single room cabin). Also cabin # 5 is closer to the main house, however seemed a bit more private (# 16 was closer to other units). Both cabins have all the amenities expected in a housekeeping cabin. Stove, Microwave, towels, silverware, utensils, etc all provided. Even flat screen tv's with more channels that you would expect. There are even gas grills scattered about for use. If you want to go to Grand Marais, be close enough to town (within walking distance), yet seem you are further away, then check this place out ! We will not hesitate to stay here again and also will spread the word to others who we know are going up the shore.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Mangy Moose Motel
Mangy Moose Motel
#1 of 11 in Grand Marais
5.0 of 5 stars 344 reviews

Been to Trailside Cabins and Motel? Share your experiences!