“Great Food, Great People”
Review of Trail Center Lodge

Trail Center Lodge
Ranked #3 of 34 Restaurants in Grand Marais
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Takeout
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Food, Great People”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I love the Trail Center. I am living on the Gunflint Trail this summer, so I come here often. Every time I've been here, the staff has been extra friendly and helpful. We needed tomatoes, and they didn't sell any in their market, so they let us buy some from their restaurant. They're very eager to help people when they need it. The food in the restaurant is seriously scrumptious. I was pleasantly surprised, because it's a rustic-looking place in seemingly the middle of nowhere! But seriously, the food is amazing, especially the burgers and the Walleye (of course).

• Visited June 2014

“Good food and a taste of a real Minnesota north woods landmark”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

My fishing partner managed to bury the hook from a fishing lure in his finger. We came out of the wood as and made a beeline for the emergency room in Grand Marais. After removal of the hook we decided to have dinner on our way back into the woods.the physician assistant at the ER recommended the Trail Center as a real north woods landmark. Despite the unfortunate circumstances that brought us to this home style favorite of locals, we liked it so much we returned the next day. The barbecued ribs were a hit, slow roasted with smoke, with an excellent not too sweet sauce. Made on the premises, the blueberry pie was to die for (especially with the ice cream on top) as was the mixed berry pie. We came back the next day and sampled the wall eye sandwich with fresh cut fries. If you find yourself in far northern Minnesota, near the Canada border, try this gem. You'll be glad you did.

Green Valley, Arizona
“Great Food, Great Prices and Lots of Fun”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Years ago when I first went up the Gunflint Trail, I asked people who had been there where to eat, and it was unanimous-Trail Center. Since then I look forward to my visit whenever I go up the Gunflint.

Three things make this restaurant so special (1) the location and decor-it overlooks a beautiful lake and even has a long wooden shelf like table running the length of the outdoor patio where you can eat and watch the activity. The decor inside defies description. With signs such as "unattended children will be given espresso and a free puppy" you cannot help but laugh. Notice the intricately woven extension cords on the overhead lights. The walls are like being in a nature museum- bird's nests, and items from nature every where (2) the food-I have never had a meal I did not totally enjoy. Portions are generous and prices reasonable. In addition to old-fashioned malts, you can also order a "new fashioned malt" with a shot of booze-Creme de menthe, flavored schnapps, etc. (3) the owner and the staff- you can tell the owner likes to cook as she has great variety and makes things from scratch. I especially like her soups . She trains her staff well and makes sure you feel welcome and have a good time.

Recently the owner created a new dehydrated food line called "Camp Chow" which comes in everything from appetizers to desserts and all you need do is add water. I tried some and it was delicious. They are sold at the restaurant as well as over the internet. While primarily for campers anyone who wants a quick delicious meal could enjoy them.

Restaurant serves all three meals , so you can stop what ever time you are in the area .

Cherokee, Iowa
“Just for the strawberry rhubarb malts.”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

A great back country general store / restaurant, and worth the drive if you're coming the half hour from Grand Marais. Don't overlook the top-notch malts, but there's unique stuff on the menu for any meal of the day.

Visited July 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Expected More”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Based on other reviewers, I was excited to hit up this place during our stay along the Gunflint Trail. Both my husband and I ordered the all-you-can-eat fish fry. We just thought it was okay. It was over breaded and the fries didn't offer much flavor. I also ordered a side salad that came drenched in french dressing - gross. Our server was attentive and very friendly, though.

• Visited May 2014