“Diamond Willow Cabin - Perfect For Us!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Heston's Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Heston's Lodge
Wisconsin
“Diamond Willow Cabin - Perfect For Us!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

We recently stayed for 4 nights in the Diamond Willow Cabin. It was just steps from the shore of Gunflint Lake and was amazingly peaceful. The cabin was equipped with everything we needed for our stay.
We only used the bedroom downstairs but it had a comfortable queen bed with a good selection of pillow and blanket options. The room had a heater and fan.
The bathroom, shower only, had great water pressure with plenty of hot water, towels and wash clothes.
The kitchen was fully equipped with full size refrigerator/freezer, microwave, coffee maker, oven and toaster.
The lightening through out the first floor was good for whatever tasks we were doing, kitchen work, reading etc.
Barb and Greg, the owners, were very helpful in my quest to see a moose (mission accomplished!) passing along sightings that they had or had heard about. Being invited for pizza from the wood fired oven on Saturday night was an added bonus and very delicious!

Room Tip: Diamond Willow was great but Cedar Point cabin (next cabin over) had better sunset views at this tim...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RCTravelHounds

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
portland oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this wonderful place for two days and we wished we could have stayed longer. There is a beautiful lake just steps outside your door and wildlife everywhere. Our cabin had everything we needed to make our stay very comfortable. The best thing was there is no TV, Internet or cell service. The hosts Barb and Greg are just the best and make you feel right at home. We can't wait to go back to this beautiful place and just relax!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chickie67
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I have been to many cabins up the North Shore in the past 29 years. This lakeside location cabin aptly named Cedar Point, certainly tops the list. The cabin clean and rustic that is nestled on a point that gives you three views of the crystal clear, Gunflint lake. We heard the most beautiful call of the resident loons one night. Greg and Barb were ideal hosts and obviously love people and their chosen occupation. They even offer very tasty homemade pizza free to their guests every Saturday night using their outdoor wood-fired oven! We will definitely be back to enjoy the serenity, scenery and hospitality of Heston's Lodge.

R & J
Savage, MN

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Minnesota Rovers Outdoors Club and the Border Route Trail Association have a history with Heston’s going back 42 years to when Greg’s grandfather pulled us out of a ditch masquerading as a snow covered shoulder in 1971. Over the years they’ve been very supportive of our trail construction and maintenance efforts with the Border Route and other trails in the area.

On a personal basis, my wife and I choose to stay at Heston’s over Thanksgiving and other Holiday weekends for a fair number of years in a row before she passed away. I’ve also led many Rovers and BRTA x/c ski winter trips and spring and fall hiking and just getting away to relax in the north woods trips.

For those of us associated with the Border Route Trail, it tends to be our favorite Lodge on Gunflint Lake with Barb, Greg, and Greg’s mother Sharlene always being consistently gracious hosts. We love Barb and Greg and the funkiness of their resort and wouldn’t want it any other way.

While staying there last Memorial Day Weekend, our trail crew had the opportunity to attend the Saturday night wood fired pizza gathering which takes place from Memorial Day through Labor Day and is open to guests and friends. It’s a gourmand & social event not to be missed!!!

Be sure to check out the Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center just up the Gunflint Trail a bit. If you’re looking for one of the more scenic hikes in the area, take a 5 mile day hike on the Brice-Breon and the South Rim section of the Border Route Trail. Ask Barb for directions.

If you’re looking for down home genuine friendliness coupled with a bit of funkiness on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness we highly recommend Heston’s. If on the other hand those expecting a Graves 601 experience should perhaps stay in Minneapolis.

Ed Solstad
Border Route Trail Assoication Non-Wilderness Maintenance Coordinator

Room Tip: The master bedroom in Diamond Willow is my favorite with its porch facing the lake..
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rallyczar
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

In late May, I solo-hiked the Border Route Trail and had the luck of doing the same route at the same time as two British girls, so my solo-hike became more of a hiking-with-British-people. They were volunteering for BRT maintenance after the hike and invited me to join them and the most exciting thing was that we got to stay at Heston's and take a lovely warm shower after five days without bathing and sleep in cozy beds. I did feel like I was cheating a bit, as my solo-hike turned into sleeping in a warm cabin with a woodstove and a full kitchen, including coffee maker. It was fantastic, and I hope to return to Heston's for more than one night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank EmilyAlligator
Mendota Heights, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I've stayed at Heston's a number of times in recent years. I've always enjoyed my stays there. Barb & Greg have been very helpful. For instance, in 2012 I planned to so some late winter/early spring ice fishing for lake trout on Gunflint Lake, the lake on which Heston's is situated. Barb & I kept in frequent touch to monitor the ice conditions. Because of unusually warm weather that year, there was an early ice-out. Prior to the actual ice-out, Barb called to say that we'd better not drive up as we'd probably encounter conditions too warm for ice fishing. We planned accordingly and didn't make the trip. Barb was spot-on--the ice went out quite a bit earlier than usual that year. I've had many enjoyable experiences on the Gunflint Trail. I've never had a bad experience in any of the lodges there. Each resort is different and has its own unique character. I can't think of a better destination than the Gunflint Trail and wouldn't hesitate to stay at Heston's or any other resort on the Trail. I especially like Heston's Diamond Willow cabin. One of my best memories at Heston's was many years ago when several members of my extended family went blueberry picking in the woods near Heston's. Barb & Greg are excellent hosts, they treat their guests very well and they keep clean & well-maintained cabins. The setting of Heston's (close to the lake and deep in the woods) makes it unique. BTW, while staying with some friends at another resort in the middle of the Gunflint Trail, I paid a visit to Heston's, but they were not at home at the time. I think of them as friends and just wanted to say hi and also check out some possibilities for doing some fishing there this summer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hudson, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

If you love nature, peaceful serenity, and the north woods, you will love this resort. The log cabins are very nice and well stocked. They are surrounded by beautiful large trees on the south shore of Gunflint Lake. You can hear the loons calling and the birds singing. Barb and Greg are extremely helpful if you need them. There are multiple trails and lakes in the area to explore. Be sure to check out the Magnetic Rock Trail while you are there. I have stayed here multiple times (in summer and winter) and always look forward to the next trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends