“Very Old Hotel and Very Small Room”

Howard Johnson Inn - Brigham City
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Brigham City
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I am glad that this was a travel expense, otherwise my colleague and myself would have stayed at a different hotel. The room was maybe 12' by 9' with two queen beds. The bathroom was very small and old. There was a heat lamp in the bathroom, that looked like a huge spot light. The best thing about the room was that they had decent cable. We stayed in room 103 with is right at the entrance to the hotel, so with the room doors opening to the parking lot area, we heard all the traffic going in and out.

If you are a sound sleeper, and just need a cheap room for the night, you can stay there, but I wouldn't recommend it for more than a night.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed January 4, 2011

I never write reviews, but this place was so unbelievable that I have to do my part to save others from this motel. From check-in to check-out I kept expecting someone to pop out of somewhere and announce that we were on Candid Camera -- a hotel this bad could only be a set-up! Amazingly, it was very real. The staff was very polite, but incompetent -- long on excuses and short on solutions. The front desk clerk gave away our suite to someone else moments before we arrived. After a ridiculously long time and many clandestine conversations in the back room, he compensated us with an amazing deal on three separate rooms. Sadly, they were disappointing to say the least. One had a half-full liquor bottle on the TV, hair on the sheets, and used, wadded-up washcloths in the bathroom. Another had dried urine on the toilet and hair in the shower. The third was hot and too far down the hotel for us to use with our little kids. Since it was late, we decided to make the best of it. I went in search of the housekeeping staff and ended up changing the sheets and towels myself. We cleaned up the bathrooms as best we could and requested a full cleaning for all the rooms the next morning. We were assured that they would do it, so the next morning we left for a day at Willard Bay. Upon our arrival that night, nothing had changed. At breakfast, we were entertained by a steady stream of other unhappy guests, some bringing digital pictures of the horrible conditions in their rooms. Find a pillow and a park bench instead of staying here. You'll thank me.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Phoebe57119
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I stayed at Howard Johnson's for about two months and really enjoyed my stay.Even thoe i had a weekly rate i still recived dayly services.The owner and staff treated me like i was a true friend.It was very quite and safe.This would be my first choice in Brigham City to stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank randy_heiskell
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Found the hotel in a coupon book and it initially seemed fine with lots of facilities. It was a brand name (Howard Johnson) and so thought would be. However the room and place was VERY shabby. e.g. first coffee machine was stained and never worked. When phoned and advised to reception first answer was coffee is in reception. When said I didn't want to walk outside they agreed to look for a replacement from another room. The next machine had broken parts but did at least work.

The room was shabby. The doors secondary lock had been removed. The swimming pool looked dirty and I couldn't use it.

The tax rate for the room ended up being 15% which I don't think is right, went from advertised 52 dollars plus tax to costing 60.

This is not a hotel I could recommend at all.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gem_Gem_Man
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We used this hotel as a one night stop-over travelling from uk to see several states. We were not expecting 5 star accommodation. This, however, from all our travelling experience was by far the worst we had ever stayed in. The rooms were grubby, electric sockets were hanging off the wall, we did not fancy showering (shower head fell off anyway), toilet flush was broken, pool had layer of grease on it and windows where horrendously filthy, rooms had not been cleaned properly for a long time - we did not take shoes off in room . Think whoever is running it is leaving it to run down. We were glad to leave and would never ever return or recommend it. Whoever took the photos did it a long time ago. Don't stay here. Whilst we were there a couple pulled up at room next to us and left. We would not have stayed if we had had any other option. Howard Johnson you should be ashamed!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank Kjohnson26
Reviewed August 13, 2010

When checking in, was told the light over the bed did not work and I asked why not give us another room, no answer. The bed was located next to the a/c so we were freezing or hot. thin walls; next door checkin at 1:30 am and I could hear showers etc. Did not request nor use the room safe but were charged. No light in hot tub area. Pool started at 3' with quick 6' drop and no safety rope. I could go on with complaints.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dixiedriscoll
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I've heard that Howard Johnson Hotels are supposed to be really good. The cheap price was the only good thing about this hotel. I came with my husband for his work and so I had to figure out what to do around here. One day I spent most of the day in the hotel because I wasn't feeling good. The idiot people who run this place thought that we had left really early in the morning even though we were staying for a few more nights. They came to our room at 8 in the morning and started pounding on the door to see if anyone was still here. The pounding woke me up but I didn't want to answer the door because I was in my PJs. He then tries to open the door himself but because I had the door locked from the inside he couldn't get in. He came back an hour or so later after I had gotten out of the shower and didn't even bother knocking, he just tried to open the door again! Just after noon he came back and again, didn't even knock, but tried to open the door. I opened it and tried to figure out why he had been doing this since 8 that morning. He said, in what little english he actually knew, that he thought we had checked out a few days early. I thought to myself, "Well obviously there's someone here if you can't even open the door with your keys!" I told him in a very annoyed voice that we were here until Thursday and the reason our car was gone was because of my husband's work. He tried to tell me that I should have put my "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and I yelled at him saying that if I had one I would have used it. He said he would go and get one for me and then he never did. Later that day when we tried to get back into our hotel after going swimmingour keys wouldn't work. My husband went and asked the manager what was going on and he said that he had reset the lock that morning when he though we had checked out early.

The staff isn't the only issue here. The rooms are in major need of a remodel, the bedding had holes everywhere, the water temp for the shower and sink is messed up (no cold in the sink, and the shower will randomly switch from hot to cold with out you touching the handles), the air conditioner is very loud, the pool needs to be cleaned out badly, etc. All in all, unless you have absolutely no other choice, never EVER stay in this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business