“At the end of the day ... a place from which to stay away”
Review of Idle Isle Cafe The

Idle Isle Cafe The
Ranked #2 of 33 Restaurants in Brigham City
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My wife and I are visiting here and she and her mother say that this place is good. I've heard it from them several times. I wish our experience today had lived at all up to the expectation set. The location is quaint and the decor takes you back in time with pictures and cooking implements of yesteryear. The background music was provided by a self playing upright piano, which mostly featured songs from Lés Miserablés. The wait staff that we had was impatient and when we were ready to order they were inattentive. We placed our order and waited. While we waited, I listened to another member of the wait staff provide different options than our member of the wait staff provided for the choice of sides. They brought a small side salad with a side of dressing, a little smaller salad than I usually see at other restaurants but had a few extras that I normally don't see so okay. They brought rolls, which were not warm but tasted okay. The real problem though came when the rest of the meal came. First, my wife's choice of potato was no longer available and rather than come and tell us and ask what we might want instead they assumed she wanted fries. Then they asked if she wanted something else after they had already delivered the plate. Next, they asked after they brought the plate if I wanted a dipping sauce for my chicken tenders and started listing the sauces. I told them that Honey Mustard would be great and they said okay. I waited ten minutes slowly eating my fries and still no dipping sauce. I finished my plate and still no sauce. This leads to strike three, lack of check-in. The wait staff member did not check back with us during the meal to see how the food was, if we needed water refills, or if we needed or wanted anything else (like even dessert). I appreciate when the staff is not constantly bugging you, but you still need them to check in. The other members of the wait staff seemed to check in on their tables much more regularly than ours did with us. This leads to strike four. In consistent policy among the wait staff. Our wait staff member did not offer dessert or even the "complimentary sample cone" of ice cream that other members of the staff did to their tables. While my Chicken Tenders were tasty as were the fries, my wife's food was not. Staff could not have cared less and rushed us out the door. However, the portions throughout the whole meal did not meet my expectations for the price charged. I would have received my food for less at almost every restaurant I have been at in town. As we were leaving, the song "Master of the House" from Lés Miserablés was playing. I found it ironic that the song would be my parting sound from this legend of Brigham City. Remember," two percent for looking in the mirror twice " . . .

1  Thank bear317
There are newer reviews for Idle Isle Cafe The

Reviewed October 16, 2013

The best part of Idle Isle Cafe is that it is in the same location on Brigham City's Main Street as it started in years ago, and so the atmosphere takes you back to a time when people arrived in their horse-drawn buggies. The food is 'homey' and not the mundane fare that you find in the chain restaurants.

The latest commercial news is that Brigham City will soon have a full-fledged hotel just a block away from the Idle Isle Cafe, so instead of staying on I-15 and bipassing Brigham, plan to stop here to visit the downtown shops during the afternoon (most places close at 6:00 pm), have dinner at the Idle Isle, and enjoy a relaxed evening at the new hotel.

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I eat at the Idle Isle Cafe about once a week. We love the chef salads, always so big and usually very fresh. Most of the servers are excellent, friendly and non-intrusive. They are usually pretty good about getting us refills after half a glass. Most of them know us, not by name but they remember what we like and how we like it! That's service! It's a tradition that will last a long time!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Open face hot turkey sandwich, fish and chips, "Huge" chicken nuggets or just a chicken salad. You can't lose. Also the peach marmalade and hot homemade rolls really complete the meal. We didn't have room for the desserts offered. Pies, ice-cream, Sundaes and numerous other treats. Four people with beverages including tip came to $56.00. Now that's amazing. Located on main street in downtown Brigham City. If you are in the area. Visit this eatery, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Everything was great, but the prices are a bit steep.Lovely historic building with a view of historic downtown Brigham City. Easy walk to shopping and events, including Peach Days in September..