“Just not the same, but some improvement.”
Review of Idle Isle Cafe The

Idle Isle Cafe The
Ranked #2 of 33 Restaurants in Brigham City
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Some years ago, and I should know names, (but I'm old so I forget), there was a young man that managed the Idle Isle restaurant and he kept things moving. Constantly checking up on everyone and everything. It was always a joy to eat at Idle Isle. Then, he left the restaurant, and service tanked. We were very displeased on more than one occasion with how we were treated (or not treated) by wait staff and, in spite of the good food, we determined it would be a long while before returning.

We finally decided to give it another go the other night, hoping things had changed.

The food was good, as it has always been. However, I made the mistake of ordering something different than my usual choices and I was not happy with my choice. The thought of a meatloaf sandwich really piqued my tast buds, but it had way too many onions and green peppers loaded on top for my liking. Not the restaurants fault, by any means. Just my own taste buds.

My wife loved the French Dip sandwich. And a vanilla Coke really tops things off.

Historically, I have always loved their trout and their Chef's and Sea Food salads. (Is it real crab? Probably not, but it is very tasty. I usually don't get my Hanes in a bundle over real or imitation crab in a seafood salad.) The salad bar itself, as a whole is average, but generally a good sampling of items.

And the Clam Chowder the other night was excellent! I have always liked their chowder, but it was even better this time around.

I can't say enough wonderful things about the rolls and peach jam. Far superb to the rolls at a well known competitor to the south...

Service was fair, but not the "big smile, gosh it's good to see you, what can I do for you" that it used to be. We were seated and served quickly and the food was worth the stop.

All in all, it was an evening worth doing, in spite of my dislike for the meatloaf sandwich. No one can expect to like everything on the menu. The positive is, I will be returning again sooner than later, though I wish the wait staff could work on their people skills. At least they weren't blatantly rude.

The food is what will bring me back.

1  Thank NedGrimley
There are newer reviews for Idle Isle Cafe The

Reviewed July 15, 2012

For lunch they have pretty standard older types of food - meatloaf, salads, an assortment of somewhat boring but reliable sandwiches, etc. If you've got picky people (and don't want burgers) this is a good option in Brigham.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

This cafe is old but has good down to earth food. Service was good too.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

The Idle Isle Cafe is a part of our family history. My grandparents started a Memorial Day tradition to decorate the family graves in the Brigham City cemetery and then stop at The Idle Isle Cafe for lunch or dinner. My 83 year old mother carries on this tradition with her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. We braved the traffic yesterday, had a wonderful graveside family history lesson, then with stomachs grumbling, drove over, in high anticipation to the Idle Isle cafe. The woman at the counter was warm & friendly, unfortunately she was the only kind thing we encountered on this visit. Our waitress was not friendly, not even nice, and downright rude! She came to take our order and my daughter asked her a question about a drink, and the waitress, snapped, "I'm not taking YOUR order". It was downhill from there...As a family we try to thank the service provided, but not once was a "thank you" acknowledged by the waitress. We had to ask for every little thing...we asked for more rolls with our dinner, and she said, "no, we only have one tray of rolls left to last until 9:30pm". I said, "can I BUY extra rolls?". She went to ask the manager. Her reply: "Manager said no". Not once was she pleasant, kind, apologetic during our whole evening. The food was tasty, but turned sour by the waitress' rudeness. My son-in-law's mother was with us from Guatemala, for her very first visit. All she ordered was a salad, the lettuce was brown on the edges. It was a terrible experience! My 83 year old mother leaned over to me during the dinner and said, "next time we will go to Maddox!" Breaking a tradition as old as the idle isle cafe...sad that service and kindness is no longer a tradition here...

2  Thank melsigue
Reviewed May 24, 2012

My friends and I recently ate at the Idle Isle restaurant. Initial observation: food is great; service is terrible.

Our party of four really enjoyed the exquisite taste of the food at the Idle Isle Cafe. Some of us ordered chicken items while others ordered clam chowder and fettuccine alfredo. The food items were excellent. However, our server was poor in her service. This younger girl seemed to be concerned with anything else, but her customers. I had to ask several times for a water refill; for utensils, for napkins, etc. It really was ridiculous. This may not apply to all of the Idle Isle staff; nevertheless, the company could invest in training their employees to not seem bothered when they need to help customers. It really was not impressive.

1  Thank RestaurantAdv