“Beauty from Below”

Colorado River Discovery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Colorado River Discovery offers the most fantastic one day rafting trips anywhere on the mighty Colorado River. We provide half-day and full day tours that are perfect for the entire family (kids aged 4 and up). Departing from the scenic town of Page, Arizona, your trip will begin with an exciting and exclusive ride down the two-mile long Glen Canyon Dam access tunnel. At river level, with the dam soaring 700 feet above you, you will board a comfortable pontoon raft for your journey downstream. While on the River, you will experience one of the most dramatic stretches of river in the western United States. Your experienced guide will tell the story of the area’s soaring sandstone cliffs, crystal blue-green waters, abundant wildlife, exploration by Major John Wesley Powell and others, and the river's modern role in the Southwest’s water and power delivery system.A stop to view an impressive set of ancient petroglyphs will offer a you chance to stretch your legs and enjoy your lunch while bearing witness to the area’s former inhabitance by ancient native cultures. If you choose, you may also refresh yourself by wading in the cold, clear river. Come and visit the river that we love... You'll be inspired!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 24, 2010

I have always loved the Grand Canyon and enjoyed its beauty from the rims. Also, I have always wanted to raft the Colorado River, to view the beauty from below, but was too afraid to take the White Water trip. I enjoy photographing also, and knew I could not take pictures with my camera on the white water trip, because my camera would be ruined by getting wet. A friend of mine told me about a raft trip that starts at Glen Canyon Dam at Page, AZ., and ends at Lees Ferry, where the Grand Canyon trip begins. He told me it was the highlight of their trip to Arizona. This year I had a few extra days while I was there and made the trip up to Page to take this trip. It was so worth it....and the highlight of our trip also. The whole trip is three hours on calm water. The scenery was beautiful. The guide is very knowledgeable about the area. They pack a wonderful lunch for 10 dollars. There is a bathroom stop complete with petrogliphs. You can even swim in the river at the end if you choose. I got some beautiful photos. It really was a fantastic afternoon and I would HIGHLY recommend it to any one, at any age.....A definite MUST DO! Best of all I finally got to see the canyon beauty from below!

Reviewed October 20, 2010

This was a perfect way to enjoy Glen Canyon and the Colorado River. It is a gentle yet beautiful float/motor powered trip. Our guide Brad was fabulous. He was humorous, entertaining and extremely knowledgeable about the canyon and historic expeditions that took place in there. My husband and I thouroughly enjoyed our day and will treasure the memory until we can go back again. Our only complaint was that it ended too soon. Maybe next year we will do the 3 day white water trip.

Reviewed October 20, 2010

Much more fun than we even expected. Toured on a Monday in October. The colors were great, the water smooth as silk and very cold. 47 Degrees. The float trip is a wonderful persepctive and great way to see the canyon up close. The guide was very knowledgable and friendly, and it was certainly worth the cost. Except for extreme wind and heavy rain, they raft everyday from March to December. The raft goes past the water level areas of Horseshoe Bend. After seeing it from above, this second view was the opposite and impressive angle. Promised wildlife seemed to be away this day, but Dall Sheep, Calif. Condors, and several spieces of bird are often present. Bring your own lunch, or order from their service. Coolest part? The trip through Glen Canyon Dam's 2-mile underground access tunnel. Bring your camera!

Reviewed October 19, 2010

Our kids are 5 and 7 years old. It is a perfect trip for us. It let us experience from the bottom of the canyon, after we had experienced from the top while driving around. There was one stop in the middle. We got to see some Indian carvings, and the kids had a chance to kick in the water of Colorado River. The water was cold, though - roughly about 45 degrees F. We also joined a Antelope Canyon tour near by, but the kids kept complaining about their dad taking pictures of a bunch of "rocks". Adults appreciated the beauty of the rocks and light better. All in all, it was the nicest activity we had during our trip to Grand Canyon.

Reviewed October 19, 2010

This half day 'float trip' from the foot of the Glen Canyon Dam to Lees Ferry is a must for all travellers, young or old, passing through or staying near Page, Arizona. It was so much fun and perfectly safe. We joined with fellow passengers from Holland , France and the US and had a great time as a group. Our guide and his colleague on the other 'raft' were very friendly, amusing and highly knowledgeable about the geology and all life that lived in, around or flew above the clear and sparkling Colorado river that we floated and skimmed along. The river, shoreline and towering, sculptured rocks and cliffs were a photographers dream and we have brought so many great memories back with us. Our guide was full of surprises and that's how they should remain lest readers also decide to 'Discover the Colorado River'!

Been to Colorado River Discovery? Share your experiences!