“A Highlight between Rims!!”

Colorado River Discovery
Ranked #2 of 43 Tours in Page
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Colorado River Discovery offers the most fantastic one day rafting trips anywhere on the mighty Colorado River. We provide half-day and full day tours that are perfect for the entire family (kids aged 4 and up). Departing from the scenic town of Page, Arizona, your trip will begin with an exciting and exclusive ride down the two-mile long Glen Canyon Dam access tunnel. At river level, with the dam soaring 700 feet above you, you will board a comfortable pontoon raft for your journey downstream. While on the River, you will experience one of the most dramatic stretches of river in the western United States. Your experienced guide will tell the story of the area’s soaring sandstone cliffs, crystal blue-green waters, abundant wildlife, exploration by Major John Wesley Powell and others, and the river's modern role in the Southwest’s water and power delivery system.A stop to view an impressive set of ancient petroglyphs will offer a you chance to stretch your legs and enjoy your lunch while bearing witness to the area’s former inhabitance by ancient native cultures. If you choose, you may also refresh yourself by wading in the cold, clear river. Come and visit the river that we love... You'll be inspired!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 11, 2009

This was just fantastic! The jaw-dropping views are endless throughout the entire trip and worth more than we paid which I think is very reasonable. We got the bagged lunch from the shop and it was very reasonable in price and yummy. Everyone associated with this trip from the store workers, bus driver, security guys to the river rats, were extremely pleasant to work with and listen too! Page is a nice surprise and the drive to it from any of the surrounding roads is beautiful. I had read the other review about getting the seat near the guide and I didn't even have to prompt my 13 yr old son to move a little quickly. He was flying to get to the boats and we arrived a good minute before anyone else so, yes, I got that seat and yes, it's a great seat. Our guide, Adam, was very good and I was surprised he knew sooo much about the area, that was a real treat. I would try to get him again, I got the impression that yes, he would honestly try to save your life if something happened. It got quite warm and was downright hot on the beach you stop at midpoint. It walk up to the ancient markings is quite a ways and slightly inclined. The water feels great and is 47 degrees constantly. There was all the free lemonade and cold water you wanted on the boat. IMO, the length was fine for us, I savored every minute and have some terrific pics from this high-quality experience. At tip - if you are driving to North Rim Lodge after this in the dark, there are approx a million deer that will try to block you. Not joking. It is a very long 43 miles after dark at the turn at Jacob Lake. Beautiful but steering wheel clenching.

6  Thank CJ24

Reviewed September 5, 2009

I don't understand what the fuss is about this calm water rafting. If you have ever canoed down a river, or been rivering in a small dinghy, there is absolutely no need to pay the price to spend more time sitting still in a raft listening to the guide's bland narration.

6  Thank MrWuyou
Reviewed September 2, 2009

When you're taking your vacation, you try and squeeze as much as possible in to get the biggest bang for your buck. It leaves you feeling like you need a vacation from your vacation when it's all said and done! This is one trip that rather forces you to relax- which you'll certainly appreciate in the end!

I've lived nearby for years and hadn't taken the opportnity to do this until recently. I took my family down on the morning trip in late August (according to the kind reservation lady, from May-September they have two 5-hour tours at 7:30 and 1:00 then between March-May and October-Movember they have different schedules) and we were glad: it started out pretty cool (nice and cool, since I'm from this state my version of cool may differ from yours- probably around 70 that morning then rising to 95ish) and got hot about halfway through. The local weather girl forecasted a 20% chance of rain but we didn't see a single cloud until the end of the trip.

We brought some snacks of our own and also bought a wrap and salad from their little cafe- which was very tasty and more affordable than expected. One of us had a chicken caesar salad and the other had a thai wrap. The wrap came with a cookie which was done just right. The food was made when we ordered it instead of pre-done, waiting to be purchased.

I would recommend bringing a small cooler because it does get hot and they don't have any coolers though they do have ice water and lemonade that's kept cold by the river which is pretty cool (no pun intended!).

Our guide, Lura, was a fun young lady with a fun sense of humor who kept the whole boat entertained the entire trip. We had people of all ages on our boat (three launched that day I believe) and everyone enjoyed themselves. She reminded us to drink and stay hydrated which was handy because we were so fascinated with the area! Thanks to the keen eyes of one of our boatmates, we saw a family of big horn sheep hanging about near the water's edge. It was quite a sight to behold! We also saw countless birds of different varieties and even the fish in the clear water below. Some fish came up to me while getting my feet in the river at the beach. COLD water (about 48 F / 9 C so you may not wish to swim!), but on an AZ summer day it felt pretty darn good!

The beach is a little short of halfway, and the second half of the trip we used the motor more. It seemed like a good length of time, though one person on board mentioned it could have been a little shorter. I reminded them that there was no other exit point unless they wished the scale the thousand foot canyon walls and they agreed, laughed, and said the time was probably just about right! haha

The trip down and back was on a bus with a driver named Pam or Pat, a nice older lady who was very informative about the area and you learned something and chuckled a bit, too. I regret to say I didn't get to hear much of what she said on the way back as I fell asleep on the bus ride back to the office from Lee's Ferry! The seats are pretty comfy and if the bus isn't too full you can stretch out and sit sideways with your head against the window... ahhhhh.

This trip was a great thing to do and I can't wait to do it again! It's not too expensive and is well worth the scenery and company you get to enjoy for 5 hours. My only suggestion to the company would be to keep the cafe open longer and offer WiFi so iPhones and laptops will work. That's it! See you next time, Colorado River Discovery!

6  Thank Raindrop_Dreamer
Reviewed August 27, 2009

This river trip is a fantastic way to discover the river and the cliffs from down under. Our boat pilot was informative and fun. A refreshing breeze from the heat. Everything is perfectly organised. A MUST!

1  Thank LePope
Reviewed August 24, 2009

This is a smooth water rafting tour which starts in at Lake Powell and ends in Lees Ferry. The tour is 5.5 hours long but it doesn't seem like it. Our tour guide "Laura" was wonderful. She was kind enough to share some aspirin and Gatorade with me since I was coming down with a real bad headache. She told us of the history of the river and pointed out some interesting rock formations. It was quite a view seeing everything from down below. I was traveling with a 12 and 8 year old and they both enjoyed the trip. They especially enjoyed the stop where they were able to get out of the boat and take a dip in the river. The water was very cold.

1  Thank AARVacations

Been to Colorado River Discovery? Share your experiences!