“Definitely a throw back to another time - but good place to stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Page
Debbie's Hide a Way
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Page
Knightdale, North Carolina
“Definitely a throw back to another time - but good place to stay”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This place is not a Hilton or DoubleTree for sure, but it serves a purpose and does begin to grow on you after checking in. There are several blocks of these "row cottages" that are all built the same way - cinderblock, ranch, and all connected as they were built for workers in the 50's that came into the area (then just desert, Navajo Reservation, and the Colorado River) to build the Glen Canyon Dam. When booking the hotel (about 3 months earlier), I spoke with Tom, the owner's husband, and he was super duper helpful as he offered a lot of information for the area as well as how long we should expect to travel to different places around Page. He sent me this info via email as well so that I wouldn't forget details and directions. Because this place is "old school," you can't book online, they book via phone. When we came to check in we met one of their caretakers of the property and his dog, "Buddy." This guy, we can't remember his name, was very low key and gives you somewhat of a worry as to what you're getting yourself into, however this changes quickly as you warm up to him. He took us to our assigned room and gave us the keys. He made sure we had enough towels and such, too. He lives pretty close as he drives a golf cart to work and can get there within 5 minutes if you need him. This place was very spacious for our bulky travel bags and has a full kitchen, a mostly full size refrigerator, and freezer. It is mostly fully stocked and even had a wine bottle opener (thank sweet baby Jesus). As you can see from the pictures, not much inside but there are couches, chairs, a fairly comfy bed and it was clean. As you can read in other reviews, the decor leaves much to be desired, but because of all the stuff you are doing outside of the hotel, you are usually pretty tired. Definitely worth a try. The only hang up we had was the price but they are usually comparable to other hotels in the area and we were traveling in the late peak summer season.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jermsshan
NewbieTravelers333, Owner at Debbie's Hide a Way, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
We are thankful you gave us the opportunity to get to know you and show you what we consider, the ‘Great Life’. Page/Lake Powell has so much to offer and we are privileged to work here with great guests such as yourself.

We try to make sure all suites and kitchen are always fully stocked, but occasionally, things go home with guests. Probably just another way to remember the memorable visit they had at Debbie’s & Lake Powell. You are able to reserve a suite on line through our email, but others chose the phone. Thanks and please come back to visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Yep A throw back in time. yes it is ugly, tacky and could use updating. But my family LOVED it. The people were nice, the backyard nightly fire wonderful, and the old fashion board games had them hurrying to finish dinner and start playing. Any minute June Cleaver could have walked in and ask them if they wanted milk and cookies. 100x better than a chain, a great break in a long trip to have a full kitchen where we could just eat feeling we were home. WONDERFUL FAMILY TIME for four days, plenty of room to spread out for our family of four.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Vacationetts
Thanks Vacationeets for your feedback. We have tried to create an atmosphere of a few years ago… when life was simple, the air was clean, the streets were safe to walk at night, you knew your neighbors on a first name basis…

June & Ward Cleaver could have slept here, but probably didn’t. Oh well, their loss. You reference ‘it’ as ugly and tacky. I assume you didn’t care for the pink of our buildings. The kids and grandkids love it. We don’t know what to do there. We are in the process of updating the bathrooms, furnishings and front landscaping. We will see what we can do with the pink.

We are pleased your FAMILY HAD A WONDERFUL TIME. Thanks again.
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Debbie’s Hide A Way is a unique lodge and loaded with surprising features for a value motel. No, you won’t find a fitness room or indoor pool, but the units have fully stocked kitchens, backyard gardens with grills and lawn chairs, and best of all, plenty of room! We stayed in a three-bedroom apartment and loved having space to spread out after being cramped in standard motel rooms. The building, along with several others on its street, was built in the 1950’s to house the workers who built the Glen Canyon Dam. The area is now known as the Street of the Little Motels. Debbie's Hide a Way is not the most attractive or best maintained property in the area, but for those who can be a little forgiving about its appearance, this motel is a good choice. Those who prefer upscale lodging will be happier elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
NewbieTravelers333, Owner at Debbie's Hide a Way, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
We are thankful that you had a little patience with us. No, we don’t have an indoor pool but as we say, ‘We have the world’s greatest pool, Lake Powell - just over the fence’. Your three bedroom suite was about 950 square feet, plenty of room to spread out. As you found when traveling with kids, it really makes a difference when everyone has space to unwind, relax, enjoy the patios and have a memorable B-B-Q.
This winter we are in the process of a remodel to make your suite more attractive, both inside and out. We will never be the Ritz, but we have Lake Powell in our back yard. Thanks for staying with us Marathoner 92, please come again.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed for two nights mid-trip and, for us, it was an oasis after days in antiseptic, over-priced chain hotels/motels. I've seen other comments here that the decor was kitsch-y and yes, it was - and we loved it! (If modern decor is important to you, you should probably stick with the chains.) But if you want to feel like you're home-away-from-home during a long trip, Debbie's Hide a Way is a godsend. We had a one-bedroom apartment, full kitchen (FULLY equipped), living room, and yes, lots of old board games, which we also loved! Laundry facilities and Wi-Fi are free (another godsend!) and there's a Safeway a couple of blocks away. Our host, Tom, was really friendly and helpful, giving us lots of tips about the best places and times to get good shots at different sites (we're amateur photographers); he really made us feel welcome. It's a 10-minute drive to Antelope Canyon, and about 90 minutes to Monument Valley. It felt great to come "home" at the end of the day, make a nice meal and relax in a human environment. It was extremely affordable and I would totally recommend it to anyone doing a similar route to ours (Grand Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, etc.). If we are ever back that way, we are most certainly going to stay there again. Thanks Debbie's!

Room Tip: I would ask for a room away from the barbeque area on the patio just because it's a common area...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kitsch-y, I don’t know. Comfortable home away from home, yes! When Debbie & I travel, we find it rather annoying to discover the wi-fi is extra, the laundry facility requires a fist full of quarters, and the microwave is maxed out with 2 cups of coffee. It is wonderful to come home to a full kitchen after stopping at Safeway to pick up a steak that only you can grill to perfection. -Don't worry about picking up any spices, all of our kitchens come stocked with an assortment of seasonings.
As you discovered, Tom truly enjoys what he does and does it well. If you have a question about Page or Lake Powell, Tom knows or will find the answer!
Lynn, we are pleased you and your husband chose to stay with us last October and hope to see you again this year. Thanks and safe travels.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 3, 2012

The moment we arrived at the hotel, my mom was saying, "This is where we're staying?!". The hotel is painted a horrible 'pink' colour that makes it look super old and outdated. We arrived early (about 1-2 hours ahead of check-in time) but thankfully, we were able to get our room first.

Our unit had a full kitchen, 1 sofa bed and 1 bedroom with a queen size bed. Cleanliness - It didn't look horrible but at the same time, it didn't look super clean or anything either. I'd say it was a 3.5/5. Sometimes my gauge is based on how comfortable I feel when I went to sleep...I didn't mind too much being in my pajamas and fell asleep pretty quickly. However, the washroom felt outdated and also felt a bit unclean. I don't believe I chose to take a shower cause the towels didn't look amazingly clean (but I think it was more a bit old as opposed to being dirty).

The downside we experienced - Check-out. We had woken up early to start driving to Grand Canyon and I think were ready to leave by around 6:30-7a. However, when we went to the office, the guy wasn't there and our phone wasn't working. We found I think it was a Holiday Inn just a block away and thankfully, the front desk there let me make a phone call (even though it was a long distance call..the office guy at Debbie's Hide-Away has a phone that wasn't from the Arizona region). We called the office # and his cell phone and was only able to leave a voice-mail. Thankfully, as I was preparing to step out, the girl called me back saying he was calling. We spoke to him and he said he was showering but would come as soon as possible (I don't think he lives very far from the hotel). We went back to the hotel and I'm guessing, waited about 20-30mins until he finally came. This was the main inconvenience since we were really hoping to leave earlier for Grand Canyon.

Overall, an alright hotel...price wasn't bad but if you want something nice, this may not be what you're looking for.

Tip: If you plan to check out early, make sure to talk to the office guy the night before so he knows and will be in the office.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us in September. After becoming aware of the inconvenience you experienced, we have made changes so that very early checkouts will not have any problems in the future. We are remodeling the suites including the bathrooms for a more modern appearance while maintaining the vintage charm. It is our hope we provided you a pleasurable place to stay as you and your lovely Mother visited our beautiful canyons and Lake Powell.
Annecy, France
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I go a lot from the feeling that you get from a place, and this was great. No, it's not the most modern, but everything was clean and functional and I had loads of space. Amenities are fantastic: equiped kitchen, free laundry, backyard BBQ, walking distance of stores and restaurants (nice Italian). The owners, Tom and Tony, are friendly and welcoming. Overall it's just great value.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
NewbieTravelers333, Owner at Debbie's Hide a Way, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
We are thrilled you took pleasure in your visit to Page and were able to use our list of 'things to see & do'. After hiking Lower Antelope Canyon and showing us your photos, we were ready to go back again for another viewing ourselves! Come back this year, and after your hike, we will make sure the grill is lit and ready for your next delectable dish creation. Thanks!
Riverton, Utah, United States
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Debbie's Hide Away is perfectly named: It is the perfect place to hide if you are in witness protection or running from the law. Not even the cops or a hit man would follow you there. I'm amazed at people who have given this dump four and five dot ratings. I'm thinking they're having one on in hopes they can get other people to be suckered in like they were and like we were. We stayed there recently and couldn't check out early enough. The place is UGLY with a capital UG. It was also expensive. I'll admit, the place INSIDE was clean and the beds were decent, other than that, unless it's a desperate situation I'd steer clear.

One of our kids asked which decade it was a throwback to and honestly, I couldn't answer. I started with the 50's but saw Kitsch and knick-knacks and board games etc. from the 60's, 70's and probably 80's but nothing more current than that. Outside the entire place is painted just a shade shy of shocking pink. In the back common area there are several plastic flamingos to go along with that pink theme. They have to be a gag, right?

The capper was the crapper. The plumbing is old. The toilet appeared to be sluggish so I employed the plunger thoughtfully provided in the bathroom. As I plunged the plunger, "water" bubbled and boiled up in the bathtub. Later I heard giggling from the bathroom . . . but not the good kind . . . as my wife was brushing her teeth, running water down the sink, the toilet started filling up, gurgling and blurping as the sink drained. I'm no plumbing expert but it would be a stretch to claim those connections were features and not problems.

If you are desperate and need a campy laugh and are immune to post check-out worries. Go ahead and spend too much for a really memorable stay in a really scary motel in a really dingy part of a small Arizona border town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Randy K
We are truly sorry you had a less than fantastic stay with us. At least you found your suite was clean and the beds were comfortable. We could not find any problems you described with the commode or plumbing. Page does not have the flashy Vegas shows and extravagant gambling but as they say great things come in small packages and most guests enjoy the spectacular scenery and the Lake that our little town has to offer. We are sorry we weren't able to better accommodate you Randy.